Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Man if we can get Haren.. that would be insane..

GO JAYS GO!!

Follow me @3mikee_

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    i would only sign him for a year...2 years tops....hutchinson and drabek will be back in 14'......and then sanchez & syndergaard will be almost ready
    If there's one thing I've learned in 20+ years of watching baseball, never assume injured pitchers will return to form or better and prospects in single A or double A will make it. Nothing wrong with leaving a prospect down a year too long, doesn't hurt them.

vCash
    I wonder if AA would do it through trade again. A guy I like is Bud Norris with Houston. He is a young strikeout pitcher who would look great as our #5. I believe he is arbitration eligible after this season, but comes pretty inexpensively. I would call them up and kick the tires if I were AA. Just to see what their price would be.

vCash
    why wouldn't we need another pitcher, we have zero depth with hutch and drabek missing at least half the year and when healthy needs the rest of season in minors imo...happ has a 5 ERA past two years...romero is a question mark...and JJ and morrow have injury concerns.....becus of this i really hope we get a consistent arm with little injury history like haren or edwin, and lohse or sanchez would be sick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dballss View Post
    why wouldn't we need another pitcher, we have zero depth with hutch and drabek missing at least half the year and when healthy needs the rest of season in minors imo...happ has a 5 ERA past two years...romero is a question mark...and JJ and morrow have injury concerns.....becus of this i really hope we get a consistent arm with little injury history like haren or edwin, and lohse or sanchez would be sick
    Honestly, you could go through just about every starting rotation in baseball and break it down like you just did, and everything you said is true. Look at the Reds last season, IIRC they didn't have a single injury to the starting staff all season. Then, the playoffs roll around and things changed. Nonetheless, you can never have enough pitching, especially guys who can start. I'm not a huge fan of Dickey, mainly because I wouldn't wanna re-sign him for 4 years or so but as a one-year guy? hell ya. He'll log plenty of innings and even if he regresses next season in the AL East, he's still putting up #2 type numbers. You could throw out 4 potential 1b/2 type starters in Morrow,Romero,Dickey and Johnson. And Buehrle who's a good number 3. Then you have Happ in the pen when someone goes down as well as guys like Jenkins who are spot starters. That rotation could compete with Tampa and anyone in baseball and really isn't that unreasonable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Sanchez is tough now considering his price tag. Haren is also a one year gamble like Johnson. But for something cheap to give back why not.

I think McCarthy is the most realistic one, but he's never thrown a full season, concern for AA.
    I threw a number out about a month ago thinking Sanchez might get 5/70. I wonder if AA could still pull that off. Throw in a 6th year club option of $20mm would get Sanchez his possible $90. Don't know if the agent would go for that, but i think it's very fair.

vCash
    I also think McCarthy is realistic. It really depends what AA's intention is with Buerhle and Johnson. He could flip one, most likely Buerhle although I hope he keeps him.

However one guy who I think could be flipped is John Buck. Either AA trades buck to free up space and hangs onto JP and D'Arnaud, or he keeps Buck and trades JP for a better piece.

He has options, I'm just nervous that he deals Buerlhe.

Keep them both Nonis.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    We gave up a good arm for Happ. Hate to see him as spot starter. Feel like it will be a waste of his potential. I thought we had Jeffress for that?
    Last edited by GNick; 11-16-2012 at 11:11 AM.

vCash
    Jefress has struggled with off-field issues and his on field performance hasn't been great so it's very risky and unlikely the Jays go into next year with him as our spot starter.

Keep them both Nonis.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    happ is decent....however hes in contract year...he struck out like 6 batters in a row in one game

vCash
    Happ is a viable 5th starter IMO after improving and showing signs of some of the hyped up potential people were giving him.

What I got for us looking for another SP was because MB might be flipped, we still have guys like Carreno and isn't Litsch coming back to this year after his TJ surgery?? I don't see us getting a Haren or Marcum to have them as the 5th starter. That's just getting greedy then lol and I don't think AA would do something like that.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    Happ is a viable 5th starter IMO after improving and showing signs of some of the hyped up potential people were giving him.

What I got for us looking for another SP was because MB might be flipped, we still have guys like Carreno and isn't Litsch coming back to this year after his TJ surgery?? I don't see us getting a Haren or Marcum to have them as the 5th starter. That's just getting greedy then lol and I don't think AA would do something like that.
    I thought Litsch had moved on?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GNick View Post
    I thought Litsch had moved on?
    Ya. He has. Can't remember if he's signed with another team yet though.

vCash
    I HAVE QUESTION, which way do you think AA goes HIGH END LOW END

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post

I don't see us getting a Haren or Marcum to have them as the 5th starter. That's just getting greedy then lol and I don't think AA would do something like that.
    I think that's precisely AA's mindset on pitchers. I imagine AA having a full blown phobia of injured Pitchers.

I'm a fan of Happ, I remember his conversation w/ Wilner and how he was disturbed coming here as a reliever and how it affects his mindset. He showed glimpses. However, I could see Happ being moved in a bigger deal involving possibly JPA, Gose etc. It's his contract year and he could demand a trade to maximize value. We all remember this scenario last year with Carlos V.

As mentioned Haren's velocity dropped from 91.5 IN 04-08, to 90.4 from 08-11 to 88.5 last year. Based on his resume alone he's going to want at least a 4 year deal. I worry about his health and being in the AL east.

I'm all aboard the Marcum bandwagon, we know he can pitch in the AL east and is fond of Toronto.

I'm a fan of McCarthy as a second option. Should come relatively cheap and really has shown strides with his command.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind Liriano as a swingman; sure, he's maddening, but on a 1 year deal he could be serviceable. I'm not sure on Myers' situation in terms of if he can still spot start.

I just don't see AA going after Anibal, E-Jax, Lohse and or Greinke just due to market inflation. GM's are going to overpay on each of these guys.
    Last edited by lenny914; 11-17-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast