Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Morneau, a Perfect Fit

We are having this discussion in the Melky thread but I thought I'll move it here so it can get more exposure

If you've read by comments in the trade Idea Thread over the last year, you know that I'm a huge advocate of trading for Justin Morneau to DH and hit between Jose and EE.

Again, I can't stress enough how much a perfect fit Morneau is for his team and this has nothing to do with him being Canadian

First of all, keep in mind that we are taking about a former MVP and a guy that was one of the best hitters in baseball before his unfortunate injury 3 season ago. His first year back he clearly wasn't right but I feel like following his 139 games last year, he is on track for a major come back this season.

He showed flashes last year hitting for a .290/.371/.902 split vs. righties which I would take any day of the week. His numbers were obviously horrible vs. lefties but that wasn't a major problem for him before the injury and its hard to imagine a stud like Morneau suddenly forgetting how to hit lefties.

I think an even more promising indicator is his home/road splits. He has a .283/.338/.482 slash on the road which is decent, not great but its a hell of a lot better than his .252/.329/.399 line at home. It is no secret that Target field is a hitter's hell and he isn't the only Twins player to struggle there.

Then you add the following

- He is a left handed power bat that you can slot perfectly between Jose and EE following by Lawrie

- He is on the last year of his contract meaning the risk involved in minimal. If anything, a great season can set up an extension and give us a 1B for the future

- It means no more Lind as I'm assuming he goes to the Twins as a part of the deal

- Finally and least important.. and I can't stress how not important this is. He is CANADIAN

All I know is if I'm AA, i'll be on the phone with Minnesota this moment trying to put the final touches and what should be a deadly lineup

Reyes (S)
    Cabrera (S)
    Bautista ( R)
    Morneau (L)
    Encarnacion (R)
    Lawrie (R)
    Rasmus (L)
    JPA/Buck/TDA (R)
    Izturis/Bonafacio (S)

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    Also, there really isn't much downside. At worst you are paying about 9 million dollars which is the difference between his contract and Lind's and you are getting a guy that is gonna rake righties

props to vick27m

Ron Artest

vCash
    Ive wanted Morneau on this team for awhile.....IF Minnesota wants to sell off their assets, and they could possibly trim payroll, I just dont see how Minnesota could handle the payroll they are, even with Target Field....Theyve been in last place since the move to the new ballpark.

Either way, Morneau is trade bait if Minnesota is cost conscious again...Id love to trade away Lind and JPA for him.

vCash
    I don't know about perfect. Better than Lind, sure. He rakes righties, no question. However, he's pretty dismal against lefties just as Lind is, sub .600 OPS against LHP. So do you platoon him? Or just bite the bullet against lefties? There are some damn fine lefties in this division (esp if Lester returns to form) so I'd much rather a platoon that's workable (not sure that Morneau would be willing to platoon, or that you could justify his salary in a platoon) or someone who can hold his own against both LHP and RHP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    We are having this discussion in the Melky thread but I thought I'll move it here so it can get more exposure

If you've read by comments in the trade Idea Thread over the last year, you know that I'm a huge advocate of trading for Justin Morneau to DH and hit between Jose and EE.

Again, I can't stress enough how much a perfect fit Morneau is for his team and this has nothing to do with him being Canadian

First of all, keep in mind that we are taking about a former MVP and a guy that was one of the best hitters in baseball before his unfortunate injury 3 season ago. His first year back he clearly wasn't right but I feel like following his 139 games last year, he is on track for a major come back this season.

He showed flashes last year hitting for a .290/.371/.902 split vs. righties which I would take any day of the week. His numbers were obviously horrible vs. lefties but that wasn't a major problem for him before the injury and its hard to imagine a stud like Morneau suddenly forgetting how to hit lefties.

I think an even more promising indicator is his home/road splits. He has a .283/.338/.482 slash on the road which is decent, not great but its a hell of a lot better than his .252/.329/.399 line at home. It is no secret that Target field is a hitter's hell and he isn't the only Twins player to struggle there.

Then you add the following

- He is a left handed power bat that you can slot perfectly between Jose and EE following by Lawrie

- He is on the last year of his contract meaning the risk involved in minimal. If anything, a great season can set up an extension and give us a 1B for the future

- It means no more Lind as I'm assuming he goes to the Twins as a part of the deal

- Finally and least important.. and I can't stress how not important this is. He is CANADIAN

All I know is if I'm AA, i'll be on the phone with Minnesota this moment trying to put the final touches and what should be a deadly lineup

Reyes (S)
    Cabrera (S)
    Bautista ( R)
    Morneau (L)
    Encarnacion (R)
    Lawrie (R)
    Rasmus (L)
    JPA/Buck/TDA (R)
    Izturis/Bonafacio (S)
    Its 1 year of Morneau with no risk, or 1 year of Lind and hoping! I'm not saying he's the only option, but in this case, I'll take Morneau over Lind.

vCash
    I would rather take the Lind (Cooper) and Davis route thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan View Post
    I don't know about perfect. Better than Lind, sure. He rakes righties, no question. However, he's pretty dismal against lefties just as Lind is, sub .600 OPS against LHP. So do you platoon him? Or just bite the bullet against lefties? There are some damn fine lefties in this division (esp if Lester returns to form) so I'd much rather a platoon that's workable (not sure that Morneau would be willing to platoon, or that you could justify his salary in a platoon) or someone who can hold his own against both LHP and RHP.
    You can always give Davis a few starts against lefties if Morneau continues to struggle..

But again, I'm a huge believer in Morneau and think that this is the year he finally returns to form and regaining the ability to hit lefties is a part of that IMO

I mean even in his greatest years, he was all over the place when it comes to hitting lefties going from sub .700 to slightly over .700 to over .800 OPS

If he can put up a .700 OPS vs. lefties, he'll be a great middle of the order bat ..

and again you have to factor in hitting in the Rogers Center instead of Target field which can't be understated

props to vick27m

Ron Artest

vCash
    even if morneau is brought in, EE hits after jose im sure...we do need some protection after jose and ee cus they do get on base a lot, and i dont want .220 avg guys like rasmus, jpa/buck, or lind hitting so close behind our 3-4 bats

vCash
    ^You would rather have Adam Lind on your team then a former MVP on a 1 year contract?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by town123 View Post
    I would rather take the Lind (Cooper) and Davis route thanks.
    the same Lind that OPSed .720 last year and Davis who had a .689 OPS

you know what you are getting in Lind and Davis and that is crappy hitters that aren't DH material in the AL..

With Morneau, you are getting a former MVP who could really bring this team over the top and at his worst, is still better than Lind and Davis

props to vick27m

Ron Artest

vCash
    Morneau would be a platoon situation as a designated hitter for 14 million dollars? I just don't know that people would actually be suggesting this if his name was Justino Morneauquez and was born in Venezuela.

I know we think Rogers now has no limits to what they're willing to spend, but $120-million was the figure we've heard for years. They are now at that point.

It would cost more than Lind, who they can't seem to give away at this moment. There's no good prospect in the system I would want to see used as currency to get an overpaid part-time DH.

I just don't think this just would not be a smart acquisition. Sorry if that offends anyone.
    Last edited by mtf; 11-16-2012 at 06:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Morneau would be a platoon situation as a designated hitter for 14 million dollars? I just don't know that people would actually be suggesting this if his name was Justino Morneauquez and was born in the Venezuela.

I know we think Rogers now has no limits to what they're willing to spend, but $120-million was the figure we've heard for years. They are now at that point.

It would cost more than Lind, who they can't seem to give away at this moment. There's no good prospect in the system I would want to see used as currency to get an overpaid part-time DH.

I just don't think this just would not be a smart acquisition. Sorry if that offends anyone.
    Again, this has nothing to do with him being Canadian but some people keep harping on that for some reason.

and by getting Morneau, you are hoping to get a guy who has his concussions behind him and is ready to be more than a platoon player

which IMO is what is gonna happen next year and people can quote me on that

props to vick27m

Ron Artest

vCash
    This off-season has been amazing thus far. Better than i could have expected and if nothing else happens then i am content.

However a few more moves will make this off-season perfect...

1. Trade for Morneau
    2. Sign another Starter, Marcum for a 2-3 year deal.
    3. Sign an experienced Manager, Cox? Torre? Surprise us AA!

This would complete our team from top to bottom.

vCash
    Again, this has nothing to do with him being Canadian but some people keep harping on that for some reason.
    I'm merely saying that I do think that is some of the motivation behind this minor movement from some of you, perhaps not you personally but others admitted it in the other thread.

and by getting Morneau, you are hoping to get a guy who has his concussions behind him and is ready to be more than a platoon player

which IMO is what is gonna happen next year and people can quote me on that
    He may regain his form, but I really prefer to see the Blue Jays acquire people who are expected to perform at a high level, rather than players we hope will perform at a high level. I don't think anyone with an unbiased view will actually project Morneau plays in 150+ games while maintaining an OPS of .850 or better. I hope he does, I just don't expect it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
    This off-season has been amazing thus far. Better than i could have expected and if nothing else happens then i am content.

However a few more moves will make this off-season perfect...

1. Trade for Morneau
    2. Sign another Starter, Marcum for a 2-3 year deal.
    3. Sign an experienced Manager, Cox? Torre? Surprise us AA!

This would complete our team from top to bottom.
    that would be the dream offseason .. and AA would have addressed every single concern and then some.. and lets be honest, no one expected that

props to vick27m

Ron Artest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast