Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vikings traded up to select Florida State RB Dalvin Cook with the No. 41 overall

Dalvin Cook - RB - Vikings
    Apr 28 - 7:56 PM

Vikings traded up to select Florida State RB Dalvin Cook with the No. 41 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Cook (5’10/210) broke Warrick Dunn’s FSU rushing record in just three seasons, piling up 4,464 yards on 687 carries (6.50 YPC) with 46 TDs and 79 catches. While known best for his big-play runs, Cook showed workhorse ability with 17 games of 20-plus carries and shined as a receiver, averaging 11.8 career yards per catch. Extremely difficult to tackle in space, Cook finished No. 1 in PFF College’s 2016 Elusive Rating. Cook confirmed his long speed (4.49) in Indy, but struggled in agility drills. Cook’s biggest drawbacks are his injury history after three career shoulder surgeries and ball security after he fumbled 14 times on 763 touches, including six fumbles in 2016. Still, Cook projects as an early-career lead back with three-down potential. Rotoworld draft analyst Josh Norris has compared him to DeAngelo Williams. In Minnesota, Cook becomes the likely Week 1 starter ahead of Latavius Murray and Jerick McKinnon.
    Would have preferred another olineman with this pick but we got amazing value and added a big time play maker.

Initial reaction was that I did not really like it. I didnt have the chance to watch the draft so my tune may have been different if I were watching. More than anything is I did not expect to have any shot at him. He is a top 15 talent and is an absolute game breaker. Having time to digest this and the fact we got Pat, this pick was an absolute steal.

I am getting more and more excited about this pick. He has big shoes to fill.

Every once in a while I watch this. One of the best memories a vikings fan could have... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S60kgifpNzM

(go figure, blair made that kick)

Long, but a nice read. I don't know what he did or didn't do. All I know is in the NFL he has a fresh start and he'll pay for it if he gets in trouble.

Vikings traded up to select Florida State RB Dalvin Cook with the No. 41 overall

I really like the tape on him, just got done watching most of this years games. There is potential here for a difference maker on offense IMO

I was listening to Sam Ekstrom and Sage Rosenfels talk about this pick and how Cook fits in. They discussed an interesting idea. Cook, Murray, and McKinnon can be used differently each game based on match up. Make it harder on teams to figure out which back will be the lead dog each week. Each back brings a little bit of a different style to the plate so I could see that making sense. Eventually Cook will be the main guy, though.
    2017 Vikings Draft :
    41: Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
    70: Pat Elflein C Ohio State
    109: Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
    120: Ben Gedeon LB Michigan
    170: Rodney Adams WR South Florida
    180: Danny Isidora G Miami
    201: Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
    219: Stacy Coley WR Miami
    220: Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern
    232: Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
    245: Jack Tocho CB N.C. State

#Faith

i dont really like college football but ive been hearing he was the best RB in the draft and a steal in the 2nd. I just dont know how good he could be behind this terrible OL. im excited to see him in purple though

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    i dont really like college football but ive been hearing he was the best RB in the draft and a steal in the 2nd. I just dont know how good he could be behind this terrible OL. im excited to see him in purple though
    A consensus top 3 back with quite a few having him as the #1 back. He appears to be a guy that can come in and play like Zeke did. However we all know we don't have that line. Our line will look All Pro compared to last year. It won't be great but it won't be terrible. I can envision this being a middle of the pack OL and that is fine with me.

One thing that is for sure...these OL are road grinders when it comes to the run game. ElFlein should have an immediate impact in regards to the run game. Reiff, I believe, was strong in the run game and Remmers the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    A consensus top 3 back with quite a few having him as the #1 back. He appears to be a guy that can come in and play like Zeke did. However we all know we don't have that line. Our line will look All Pro compared to last year. It won't be great but it won't be terrible. I can envision this being a middle of the pack OL and that is fine with me.

One thing that is for sure...these OL are road grinders when it comes to the run game. ElFlein should have an immediate impact in regards to the run game. Reiff, I believe, was strong in the run game and Remmers the same.
    The Zeke comp is a bit excessive but Cook should certainly have a positive impact as long as he doesn't cough the ball up too much.

Our o-line, while not exciting, is an improvement. Probably the best line we've had since 2012. All are better run blockers than pass blockers so our run game should see up an uptick in production.

Last season the run game was so bad our play calling was very predictable. An improved run game will make the whole offense better. We can actually convert short yardage and execute play action. Teams won't be able to tee off as much on Bradford. Plus with Clemmings on the bench our "look out blocks" should decrease tremendously.

Reiff > Clemmings
    Elflein > Fusco
    Remmers > Sirles

It's not sexy group but it's good enough to get the job done. It's good enough to win with.

Also Cook has experience playing behind a bad line. His vision, cuts, and patience are all things that made him a top back in this draft.

Teddy "Throwsevelt" Bridgewater

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    The Zeke comp is a bit excessive but Cook should certainly have a positive impact as long as he doesn't cough the ball up too much.

Our o-line, while not exciting, is an improvement. Probably the best line we've had since 2012. All are better run blockers than pass blockers so our run game should see up an uptick in production.

Last season the run game was so bad our play calling was very predictable. An improved run game will make the whole offense better. We can actually convert short yardage and execute play action. Teams won't be able to tee off as much on Bradford. Plus with Clemmings on the bench our "look out blocks" should decrease tremendously.

Reiff > Clemmings
    Elflein > Fusco
    Remmers > Sirles

It's not sexy group but it's good enough to get the job done. It's good enough to win with.
    The really really good news is Sirles will be our first OL off the bench as he can play tackle and guard. So, god forbid, we go thru any major injuries but it would take at least 2 of our tackles getting injured before Clemmings is out there again.

Can't wait to see how this offense does if our OL is at least formidable. Damn that excites me!

Quote Originally Posted by CubbyJoe View Post
    Also Cook has experience playing behind a bad line. His vision, cuts, and patience are all things that made him a top back in this draft.
    Great vision and rated the #1 elusive RB in the draft for what that's worth. And a solid receiver. Nice addition after missing on their true coveted guy - Curtis Samuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Jets Fan View Post
    Great vision and rated the #1 elusive RB in the draft for what that's worth. And a solid receiver. Nice addition after missing on their true coveted guy - Curtis Samuel.
    Why do you say that they coveted Curits Samuel?

Teddy "Throwsevelt" Bridgewater

Ya I curious what you may know on that or if that is just speculation. i really liked Samuel as well and if we did not have that need for an every down type of back I would have loved it. He is a lot like Percy Harvin without the, no pun intended, headaches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast