Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should Matt Cassel be the Vikings starting QB?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- He showed us what a half way decent QB can do in this offense

31 93.94%
  • No- Christian Ponder still gives the Vikings the best chance to win

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Vikings re-sign Matt Cassel to a two year deal

Should Matt Cassel be the Vikings starting QB after he completed 16-of-25 passes for 248 yards and two touchdowns against the Steelers?

vCash
    Does Cassel give us the best chance to win now? I would say absolutely. Do I think he is the longterm QB for our team? Probably not. As I have always said in the past, Cassel gives us consistency which is what this team needs. At the end of this the worst possible situation would be to start Cassel the rest of the season and try to find a longterm solution at the position. Who knows what kind of trade offers we could see if Cassel shows to be a solid QB.

vCash

Should Matt Cassel be the Minnesota Vikings starting QB?

Without a doubt

/

I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

vCash
    No doubt about it!!!! Anyone who says otherwise wreaks of cheese

"I yam sofa king we todd did" - Musgrave

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    Yes.

Straight Flash Homey

vCash
    I would go with Cassel. Figure out a way to draft a QB of the future and maybe even keep Cassel in the #2 spot. He is a very competent back up who can step in and give the team some spark.

vCash
    Cassel looks more comfortable like a veteran but truth be known Ponder probably has as much experience.
    Cassel isn't near as mobile as Ponder but he never got flustered or paniced and he was very poised.
    I'd like to see Cassel start a couple more games then go back to Ponder to see if he really is our franchise QB.
    If we suck bad enough and Bridgewater,or the UCLA QB are on the board I'd pick either one of them to be the franchise. Possibly Oregon's QB as well. There's probably a dozen or more Ponder's in the 2014 draft as well, but we don't need another one of those.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wrizzo View Post
    No doubt about it!!!! Anyone who says otherwise wreaks of cheese
    Is that a reference to some free cheese by chance?

vCash
    Yes yes & yes!!!! I am about as big of a Ponder supporter there is but this is the easy answer. Ponder is too hesitant to let it rip. This doesn't mean his chances of being a starter is done with. You never know what can happen but I think he needs to sit and watch for the for see-able future.

Also why couldn't Cassel be the QB of the future? He's still 31 and could easily play another 5-7 years. Again this is just 1 game and we did play a bad Pitt team but the offense seemed more in sync. We also got our WR's involved.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Is there a neither option? I still don't buy into Cassel. I want to see the next few games before deciding. Today's game, I sometime wonder if it was Ponder instead...I think it'll be about the same. In the first 3 game and this game, you can tell the difference. Defense weren't charging at Cassel as much as the first 3 game on Ponder. Also the O-line did a better job in this game.

vCash
    Cassel and Ponder are both the same for me. Cassel was pretty inaccurate and could of easily had two INTs. But I will say I'd rather have Cassel because he atleast doesn't look lost on the field and throws the ball with a lot velocity.

vCash
    I felt calm and relaxed for the first time this season. Cassel does not have this "deer in the headlights" look. He is definitely not the long term QB but at this point is better option.

vCash
    Cassel definitely has a lot more confidence than Ponder does...he has had real NFL success before as well...He didn't look amazing today...some throws were off...but as he gets more first team reps i think he will get better...also he didn't turn the ball over....the way this game ended up (yes the coaches got stupidly conservative...what else is new)...one turnover would have lost us the game. Cassel definitely has more of the intangibles of an NFL QB.

Chicago Blackhawks
    Chicago Bulls
    Chicago Cubs
    Duke Blue Devils
    Minnesota Vikings
    Northwestern Wildcats
    Virginia Tech Hokies

vCash
    Absolutely Cassel should start! Perfect time for a bye week too. He can get first team reps and get the rhythm down with the WR's and TE's. You wanna chance at keeping your job Leslie? No more Pondering.

vCash
    Vikings should name Cassel starter
    Article by: JIM SOUHAN , Star Tribune
    Updated: September 29, 2013 - 11:42 PM

Matt Cassel threw passes where he had to, distinguishing himself from Christian Ponder.

There’s a saying in baseball. When a pitcher falls apart, you don’t need to look at the boxscore for proof. You need only listen to the sound of the bats.

Here is the Vikings’ corollary: To judge a quarterback, you don’t always need to calculate passer rating. You need only see the posture of the wide receivers.

Christian Ponder rarely threw the ball downfield with timing and authority. Even his completions left his wideouts leaning, leaping or diving, and his incompletions left them looking skyward, seeking patience.

Sunday in London, Matt Cassel threw passes that enabled Vikings wideouts to catch comfortably, run aggressively and celebrate often. That’s the difference between him and Ponder, and the reason Vikings coach Leslie Frazier needs to keep him in the lineup no matter the state of Ponder’s sore ribs.

Asked whether the Vikings had found their starter, Adrian Peterson grinned and said, “What do you think?’’

Frazier was more evasive. He began his postgame news conference following the Vikings’ 34-27 victory over Pittsburgh by noting that Cassel didn’t turn the ball over. Later, he said, “Christian’s our quarterback.’’ Pressed, Frazier said he didn’t want to make any “premature’’ decisions.

That’s the right thing to do, Les: Watch film, hold meetings, consult advisers, study NFL history, and then name Cassel the starter.

Cassel completed 16 of 25 passes for 248 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. He fumbled once, and was lucky a teammate recovered. He threw one deep pass and one short pass that could have been intercepted. The difference between him and Ponder was not the quality of their poor throws; it was the quality of their quality throws.

Cassel threw the ball quickly and accurately enough that his wideouts caught passes with their defensive backs in vulnerable positions.

Before Sunday, Greg Jennings had caught 11 passes for 160 yards and no touchdowns. His longest reception was 27 yards. In the first quarter, Cassel hit Jennings with a quick 5-yard pass that enabled him to weave for a 70-yard touchdown. Jennings finished with three catches for 92 yards and two touchdowns.

Jerome Simpson entered the game with 12 catches for 218 yards. Cassel found him in single coverage often early in the game. Simpson caught seven passes for 124 yards, including a 51-yard catch-and-run.

Ponder favored tight ends and backs, because he’s cautious. Cassel favored wide receivers. He threw 19 of his 25 passes toward wideouts.

After the game, receiver Jarius Wright again spoke of Cassel’s command of the huddle. So did Peterson.

“He’s more vocal,’’ Peterson said. “He was out there saying his two cents worth in the huddle and you see guys buying into it, and keeping the huddle together and that’s all you can ask for …

“He did a good job.’’

Add those comments to those made by other Vikings this week, and you hear a team begging its coach to stick with Cassel.

They can see what even Londoners new to American football could see: Cassel makes quick decisions and throws. If a receiver runs a down-and-out, the ball is in the air before the receiver comes out of his break. Ponder too often waits for a receiver to get open, then eases the ball in his general direction.

It’s time for the Vikings to stop playing nanny. They didn’t sign a legitimate backup in Ponder’s second year because they didn’t want Ponder to feel pressure. They didn’t consider benching Ponder during seasons or games because they didn’t want to dampen his confidence or incite a controversy.

Sunday night, Frazier kept playing that game, pretending that he doesn’t know who the better quarterback is for his team right now. “I don’t want to just go by what I saw with the naked eye,’’ he said.

Naked eyes are best for discovering the naked truth: Cassel is much closer to being a functional NFL starter right now than Ponder. The players know it. Despite his coyness, Frazier has got to know it, too.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...1&c=y#continue

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast