Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Jackson vs. Malone

After 14 games, I think that we would all be satisfied with an 8-6 start. There has been many positives and some negatives that have been discussed about the players and notably the coaching staff. I think that Jackson has gotten a bad rep since his tanking, playoff prediction, and the whole last year; but the warriors have rebounded well and played defense this year, so he does deserve some credit. However, I wonder if Michael Malone is the true key cog behind Jackson's coaching capabilities, and he is more valuable to the coaching staff.

Malone was praised as a defensive coach gem from New Orleans and Cleveland. He is considered one of the top defensive coaches in the game, and one of the prime assistant coaches in the league. From observations during the games, it seems as if Malone draws up plays and calls schemes, while Jackson provides motivational words.

Considering that, here is the current breakdown of the coaching staff's performance thus far as a whole

Positives: The Warriors look like a strong defensive team. They have bought into rebounding the basketball and challenging shots. They foul too often, but not for a lack of effort. During Jackson's tenure, they have been a solid road team and seem to be motivated on the end of a back-to back. They have also finished games quite strong this season (minus Denver), alot of their wins have come from strong runs in the 4th quarter.

Negatives: Our half-court offense is extremely stagnant. This results into high ball pressure on the wings, which hurts us because it takes too long to get into our sets. We run alot of isolation, especially when one play works (sometimes good or bad). Turnovers have been terrible.

The rotations at times have been questionable. Going small with david lee and landry scores points, but also gives up too much inside. Lets Thompson and Curry shoot as many quick 3 pointers as possible, hurts especially when cold.

Our 3rd quarters have been hit or miss all year. Issue of coaching staff's adjustments during halftime.

Outlook: I am torn on the coaching staff's, in particular, Jackson's performance this year. A part of me believes he is doing a decent job, because the warriors are playing good defense and winning. But, another part of me sees Jackson's success in large part to Malone's proven principles and schemes. Malone has credibility as a defensive assistant, and that is what has shown the greatest improvement. If Malone leaves for another coaching position (he has interviewed alot in recent years), is our defense as strong and rebound as well?

I'm torn because I don't see Jackson doing the head coach's responsibilities very well. I think his game management of small ball rotations, 3rd quarter adjustments, and shot selection has not been very good at all. I am very happy at our new defensive toughness, but I don't know who to credit.

I bring this up because if the warriors perform well this year then Jackson will be our coach for the next 2 seasons most likely. But, I think alot of fans get the feeling that Malone will be a head coach somewhere else in the near future (especially with Warriors success).

I am just wondering how others are evaluating the Warriors success and Jackson in particular. I love our new defense and rebounding. But, the stagnant offense and rotational issues, along with the fact that I have never seen him draw up a play or make changes during timeouts/huddles make me worried. Either way, I think that the current staff has done a good job thus far of instilling this new tough mentality, but I am considered if Malone leaves, Jackson cannot handle the job.

vCash
    this is very premature.

i like the strong start as well, but lets see what happens at seasons end before judging the coaches. jackson is still learning on the fly as coach, so he's going to make mistakes. this year, he had a full offseason and training camp, so i give him credit to getting us where we're at. and he's done it with no bogut, no rush, and no RJ. hes doing it with 3 rookies...so WOW

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
    "From the stomach at birth, till I'm under the earth."

#DUBSUP

vCash
    Understandable that the season is too premature to judge Jackson. I'm just saying that the defensive credit that he is getting could be due to Malone's defensive talents. Wondering how people are feeling about Jackson, alone, as a head coach.

vCash
    his preaching seems to be paying off

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
    "From the stomach at birth, till I'm under the earth."

#DUBSUP

vCash
    Better defense and consitent wins could be due to Mike Malone..but I wonder why Malone didn't get the coaching job here initially, nor was he successful interviewing for Charllotte this season.

Head coaching in the NBA is more than just science and drawing up plays.

And Jackson calls plays, and hes drawn up plays in huddles during certain situations since he was a world class point guard himself lol. But regardless,

players and executives have to believe in their coach, and want to play for him and want him to construct a winner.

They have to believe in him to contruct the correct staff, instill his own strategies, and his own identity etc. Maybe they don't believe Malone can do that.

Maybe they know something that we're not privy to. All I know is Jackson is the warriors coach and our team is doing a good job.

(any rational person knows that he didnt control operation tank and that the guarantee was a mistake by a confident new coach).

if Mark didn't want Mike Malone drawing up the plays then, malone wouldn't be doing that. GREAT LEADERS DELEGATE AUTHORITY AND WORK TO OTHER GOOD LEADERS. (which includes drawing up plays which means absolutely nothing)

Mark Jackson epitomizes the perception of a coach that guys want to play for IMO. He's a class act, and guys respect him, and play better on the court because of it. That's coaching.
    Last edited by COOLbeans; 11-26-2012 at 04:49 AM.

she says go for the championship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post

Mark Jackson epitomizes the perception of a coach that guys want to play for IMO. He's a class act, and guys respect him, and play better on the court because of it. That's coaching.
    Agreed. I think Mark Jackson got the job based on the things you listed, plus Lacob & Co felt he was a "Face of the Franchise" type.

Playoff Bochy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    Better defense and consitent wins could be due to Mike Malone..but I wonder why Malone didn't get the coaching job here initially, nor was he successful interviewing for Charllotte this season.

And Jackson calls plays, and hes drawn up plays in huddles during certain situations since he was a world class point guard himself lol. But regardless,

players and executives have to believe in their coach, and want to play for him and want him to construct a winner.

They have to believe in him to contruct the correct staff, instill his own strategies, and his own identity etc. Maybe they don't believe Malone can do that.

Maybe they know something that we're not privy to. All I know is Jackson is the warriors coach and our team is doing a good job.

(any rational person knows that he didnt control operation tank and that the guarantee was a mistake by a confident new coach).

if Mark didn't want Mike Malone drawing up the plays then, malone wouldn't be doing that. GREAT LEADERS DELEGATE AUTHORITY AND WORK TO OTHER GOOD LEADERS. (which includes drawing up plays which means absolutely nothing)

For sure. I like ur breakdown. I like Jackson too.

vCash
    Some people are just made to be head coaches and some people are made to be great assistants. (just heard that on the radio in regards to Lane Kiffin and USC

The obvious passion that Jackson brings to this team has inevitably rubbed off on the players. Other than for we beleive and the year after, our players havnt played with this kind of passion and desire for decades.
    Last edited by COOLbeans; 11-26-2012 at 07:09 PM.

vCash
    Jackson and Malone are also part of a/the team. Compared to last year, it is a much better team. Amazing draft, where luck is a big factor in every draft and the old Ws never seemed to have any. Defensive improvement extremely significant. Team weaknesses seem to be being addressed. Stagnant half court and ESPECIALLY turnovers have everything to do with the very significant down side of Curry's game. But they appear to be working on it.

I still cringe when I see Curry's pass, ah I'm not gonna try to describe it any more, let's just call it the Sinker, and when he hits a team mate standing next to him in the nose with one, that'll be the Stinker.

Love Curry's up side, and the team's.

vCash
    "Maybe they know something that we're not privy to. All I know is Jackson is the warriors coach and our team is doing a good job.

"

I understand your points, and I do think one of the big supports for Jackson has to be that his players seem to have a good relationship with him and listen to him. Like you pointed out, this is a key attribute of a good coach, and something that Jackson can take substantial credit towards.

I wanted to bring up the point about the technical skills that Jackson possesses.I think that Malone brings the technical defensive schemes and even offensive principles (draws up plays). I am just looking for more adjustments from Jackson as far as substitution rotations and creative offensive sets. One can argue that this will come with time, but I was really wondering if anyone else was picking up more strategic tactics made by Jackson himself. It makes me worried when, in the huddle, we get soundbites of just motivational words "they just want it more than us" or after the game, we hear, "they just outworked us tonight, wanted it more."

More than anything, I wanted to recognize Malone's defensive talents rather than simply giving the praise to Jackson. I also wanted to highlight Jackson's coaching skills more critically rather than basing praise on Jackson just on our defense/ 8-6 start.

Jackson has this team believing and given them toughness, that is evident. His motivational preaching has been proven effective. But, i wonder if this is more of a temporary Singletary effect at the end of the 49ers 2010-2011 season. Team is believing, while the technical skills seem to be questionable.

vCash
    Why does Mark Jackson have to be compared to a horrible coach in Mike Singeltary? There is absolutely no comparison other than the fact that they both played the sport, and both of them coached in the bay area.

Coaches have roles within their groups just like players. I've never seen fans so rabid to discount the head coach in order to reap praise for the assistant coach (with nothing to back those assumptions on other than sound bites on the floor and after the game), then what I've read and witnessed by some fans in this forum.

You're all entitled to your opinions, but Lacob, Guber, West, Myers, Jackson and Malone have each played a key role in rebuilding this team.

To use a real estate analogy of sorts. Warrior fans keep trying to tear some aspect of this team down, before they've completed the foundation of the building being constructed.

vCash
    Jackson's done a fine job in his first true season as an NBA head coach

vCash
    Comparison between Jackson and Singletary because both were great as far as motivating players while their x and o's and coaching adjustments are questionable (so far in Jackson era).

vCash
    And i do want to credit Jackson; however, I want to breakdown some of his coaching decisions and what he brings as a head coach and to our future success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Warriors&Niners View Post
    Comparison between Jackson and Singletary because both were great as far as motivating players while their x and o's and coaching adjustments are questionable (so far in Jackson era).
    I got you.. But please tell me 1 or 2 instances when Mark Jackson's Xs and Os has been questionable.

And saying he doesn't draw up plays during huddles isn't adequate information on mark Jackson's ability to create plays and develop strategies and schemes for each individual opponent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast