Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Free Agents 2013

Figured it might be a little early but maybe this could cheer us up a bit. Maybe some hope.

Basically, the Jets need to address a lot of positions this offseason: QB, RB, WR, RT, G, OLB, FS. Hopefully we can draft and sign players at these positions because unlike others, I do think there is some talent on this team: Kerley, Hill, Mangold, Brick, Wilk, Harris, Revis, Cro, Landry.

Now lets take a look at realistic free agents at each position. Let's start with the most important one: QB

1) Jason Cambell - I am a believer that this guy could be a top 15 QB with the right weapons around him
    2) Matt Moore - Impressed in Miami, still young
    3) Tarvaris Jackson - Wasn't horrible in Seattle but still not that great

RB:

1) Reggie Bush - Very good in Miami, would add a new explosive dimension to our offense
    2) Felix Jones - Good #2 back, could work out

WR (Hoping we can get rid of Holmes Contract):

1) Greg Jennings (Would be amazing but what receiver wants to come here)
    2) Dwayne Bowe (Same as above)
    3) Mike Wallace (Same as above doubt he goes)

T:

1) Ryan Clady (Will want monster money)
    2) Branden Albert (Will get money)
    3) Sebastian Vollmer (Patriot but GREAT RT)
    4) Andre Smith (Nice Option)

OLB:

1) Shaun Phillips (Old but quick pass rusher)
    2) Anthony Spencer (Nice option)
    3) Daryl Smith (Nice Option)

vCash
    Godser Cherlius might be a cheaper option at RT. He finally put together a good season in 2011 and has played decent so far this year. Former 1st round pick. Still fairly young. The Lions have 2011 1st rounder Riley Reiff on the squad who can probably start for Cherilus in a pinch.

Andy Levitre is my #1 FA target. One of the best offensive guards in the NFL. He is amazing in pass protection and also a surprisingly good run blocker. We will probably have to revert back to a zone-blocking scheme (which are probably the best OL system for Brick and Mangold as well) to fully take advantage of Levitre's skills.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    Godser Cherlius might be a cheaper option at RT. He finally put together a good season in 2011 and has played decent so far this year. Former 1st round pick. Still fairly young. The Lions have 2011 1st rounder Riley Reiff on the squad who can probably start for Cherilus in a pinch.

Andy Levitre is my #1 FA target. One of the best offensive guards in the NFL. He is amazing in pass protection and also a surprisingly good run blocker. We will probably have to revert back to a zone-blocking scheme (which are probably the best OL system for Brick and Mangold as well) to fully take advantage of Levitre's skills.
    THIS. I would LOVE to add Levitire and Cherlius. Then you draft a LG at some point along with other pieces of the offense that need to be rebuilt (all of it).

We might be able to add one more player on defense like Spencer or a FS like Philips, but I wouldn't do much more. Id save the money. Were not going to be back to a playoff team next year. We need to have a big draft and add the right pieces in the offseason and hope for a season that shows promise and growth.
    Originally Posted by erickench
    At least Lackey had a winning record for the Red Sox. His ERA was just a little high.

vCash
    Bush will want too much money

vCash
    We have no money....
    Last edited by NYJetsfan69; 11-15-2012 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    I wish people would stop saying they hope we can get rid of Holmes. He ISN'T going anywhere....he is owed too much money next year and no one wants him. We cannot cut him because of the cap hit...he WILL be a Jet next year unfortunately

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeTsFan4eVeR View Post
    I wish people would stop saying they hope we can get rid of Holmes. He ISN'T going anywhere....he is owed too much money next year and no one wants him. We cannot cut him because of the cap hit...he WILL be a Jet next year unfortunately
    Wrong. We shouldn't cut him because the savings would be minimal (about 1.25M) but if we trade him we would save over 8M in cap space.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ekill08x View Post
    THIS. I would LOVE to add Levitire and Cherlius. Then you draft a LG at some point along with other pieces of the offense that need to be rebuilt (all of it).

We might be able to add one more player on defense like Spencer or a FS like Philips, but I wouldn't do much more. Id save the money. Were not going to be back to a playoff team next year. We need to have a big draft and add the right pieces in the offseason and hope for a season that shows promise and growth.
    Levtire would play LG. I think that's his best position anyway. RG is generally considered the easier position and probably the easiest OL position to play. We can then draft a guard in maybe the 3rd round to be our starter there.

I love Kenny Phillips as well. He was exceptional in 2011. His coverage was awesome. No TD's allowed and under 2 receptions a game against him. The Giants have other guys to resign and they have Stevie Broiwn who has filled in nicely for Phillips and would be tons cheaper.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Andre Smith/Sebastian Vollmer and Connor Barwin are all I ask for. Love Andy LeVitre as well....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Andre Smith/Sebastian Vollmer and Connor Barwin are all I ask for. Love Andy LeVitre as well....
    It might be because I watch a lot of Texans games (living in Houston) but Barwin is awful. A lot of empty stats.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    Levtire would play LG. I think that's his best position anyway. RG is generally considered the easier position and probably the easiest OL position to play. We can then draft a guard in maybe the 3rd round to be our starter there.

I love Kenny Phillips as well. He was exceptional in 2011. His coverage was awesome. No TD's allowed and under 2 receptions a game against him. The Giants have other guys to resign and they have Stevie Broiwn who has filled in nicely for Phillips and would be tons cheaper.
    FOr Levtire to play LG for us I think we need to go back to a ZBS. Weve been running a MBS under Sparano and the line has really struggled. In the Man Blocking System the guards need to be a lot bigger, in the 320-335 range, and in the ZBS you simply look for more athletic lineman. D'Brick has been miserable in the MBS. A return to ZBS would be a big help for this struggling line along with 2 additions.
    Originally Posted by erickench
    At least Lackey had a winning record for the Red Sox. His ERA was just a little high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ekill08x View Post
    FOr Levtire to play LG for us I think we need to go back to a ZBS. Weve been running a MBS under Sparano and the line has really struggled. In the Man Blocking System the guards need to be a lot bigger, in the 320-335 range, and in the ZBS you simply look for more athletic lineman. D'Brick has been miserable in the MBS. A return to ZBS would be a big help for this struggling line along with 2 additions.
    Yup. If we are to go after Levitre we have to switch back to a zone blocking scheme. Its a better fit for both Brick and Mangold (he hasn't been terrible in MBS but not his usual brilliant self).
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    This is a great thread, I didn't know we could save the 8 mill by trading holmes..
    THE GOAT

Until a player reaches these PA numbers, lets not talk about how good they are.

The Following PA's are when sample size stabilizes

50 PA: Swing %
    100 PA: Contact Rate
    150 PA: Strikeout Rate, Line Drive Rate, Pitches/PA
    200 PA: Walk Rate, Groundball Rate, GB/FB
    250 PA: Flyball Rate
    300 PA: Home Run Rate, HR/FB
    500 PA: OBP, SLG, OPS, 1B Rate, Popup Rate
    550 PA: ISO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CostanzaNumba0 View Post
    This is a great thread, I didn't know we could save the 8 mill by trading holmes..
    When you trade a player, the old team has to pay the bonus money that has been 'paid' but not accounted for. The new team pays the base salary.

Holmes had a 6.25M signing bonus over the course of his deal (5 years) which the Jets have to pay. That is 1.25M per season. The deal has 3 years left after this season. 1.25 times 3 = 3.75M. Holmes cap value is 12.5M. You subtract the two numbers and the end up with 8.75M which is the amount we would save if Holmes is to be traded. I saw someone confirm this on twitter with nyjetscap earlier so this seems to be accurate.

Honestly, if we could trade Holmes and recoup even a conditional pick in the draft, I'd do it. Maybe a team like the Vikings? They have some money and he would be a good compliment with Harvin and Peterson. I don't know.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    The amount if money we will save from just cutting Scott, Pace, Thomas, Eric and Jason Smith the jets will gain close to $20 million I believe. Then say we trade Holmes that's another additional $8 along with the $4 mil we have right now. A lot of money to spend IMO.

Desean "Jet" Jackson

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast