Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

5 Worst Bruins in the Last 5 Years

Well, I'm officially bored from lockout talk so, lets see if this is interesting. I was reading something the other day and there was an article on the 5 worst Rangers in recent memory. It was dumb as an article but it might be fun in a forum setting.

Tell me the 5 Worst Bruins in the Last 5 Years:

2007-2008
    2008-2009
    2009-2010
    2010-2011
    2011-2012

Lets have a rule of MINIMUM 10 regular season games played, unless you can make a good case for someone under that.

If this goes well I think we could do '5 Best', '5 Biggest Impact', '5 Bang for your Buck', '5 Biggest Surprises', etc.

vCash
    '07-'08: Brandon Bochenski
    '08-'09: Byron Bitz
    '09-'10: Matt Hunwick
    '10-'11: Daniel Paille
    '11-'12: Jordan Caron

First Milk Crates, Now Water Bottles.....Nothing is Safe

vCash
    Brandon Bochenski - First of all, we got rid of Versteeg for this guy... Ouch. At first I was a big fan because he was on fire with the crap-tastic bruins of 07-08. The next year he had 0 goals and 6 assists in 20 games... What the hell happened to the 22pts in 31 games the year before?? Guh, disappointing. Thankfully we tossed him over to Anaheim where we picked up the next guy on my list:

Shane Hnidy - Yeah, lots of Bruins fans love 'The Sheriff' but I never really liked him. He was basically a playoff killer for the B's. He took too many dumb penalties and did too many stupid things in the playoffs. Yeah, he was a 4th line checking bad *** but, he hurt the team when it really counted.

Tomas Kaberle - No, I don't think we would have won the cup without him in 2011 BUT while he was here he was a shadow of his former self. 9pts in 24 regular season games and 11pts in the cup run... Yes, he was helpful but not worth what we gave up. He was also helpful because his trade sparked the Kelly trade and the Peverley trade which were much more of a factor in winning the cup than Kaberle alone. So, although Kabs still produced a little, he is still one of the 5 worst in the past 5 years for me.

Zach Hamill - Maybe not 'worst' but, given his potential and the hard time I'm having coming up with 5 players, here's Hamill... 20 games over 3 seasons and only 4 pts to show? Not good. Drafted 8th overall in 2007; he should be an NHL regular now at the ripe old age of 24 but he'll probably be a life long AHLer or a fringe NHLer. Too bad...

Petri Nokelainen - Again, he might be more disappointing then bad but Petri didn't do so well in Boston after being picked 16th overall in 2004. He debuted in the 07-08 season with 'meh' numbers and was pretty much non-existent in the final 33 games with the B's. That's about it... Nothing much to say about him. Thanks for getting us the equally disappointing Steve Montador.

Honerable mentions: Steve Montador, Peter Shaefer, Byron Bitz, Andrew Alberts

vCash
    07-08:Easily Peter Schaefer, guy was brutal. He was acquired to play wing with Savard and ended the season on the fourth line. I would argue that he is at the top 5 list in question

08-09: This is tough but for me it was Vladimir Sobotka, this season was a disappointing follow up to an impressive playoff showing again the Habs in a franchise defining seven game series. Picking him is by default given that this team was amazingly good from top to bottom.

09-10: Matt Hunwick, but then again the whole team more or lessed sucked this season and could have easily gone to Andrew Ference and IMO Derek Morris.

10-11: Blake Wheeler x1000. I know how good he has developed since his departure, but no one knew how to ruin an odd man rush better than Blake Wheeler, whether it was a pass into an opponents skates, failing to win a physical battle in any aspect of the game, or as I remember him, missing the net completely 90% of the time. He flat out sucked and earned from me the nick name "big bag of suck". I think Chiarelli trading him to Atlanta for Peverley was one of the best moves he ever pulled.

11-12: Joe Corvo, that is all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Top Shelfer View Post
    11-12: Joe Corvo, that is all
    He was so bad I have mentally blocked out him on this team

First Milk Crates, Now Water Bottles.....Nothing is Safe

vCash
    07-08: Bobby Allen. Media gave him a boost being from Massachusetts and all but he did not belong in the NHL. Sorry Bobby.

08-09: Petteri Nokelainen was a HUGE disappointment. He was drafted high (#14 overall) but just couldn't get it together.

09-10: Matt Hunwick. There were a lot of disappointments this year, but Hunwick takes the cake. I'll never forget his abysmal series against the Flyers in the playoffs.

10-11: Mark Stuart. I loved the guy and the way he stood up for teammates, but he doesn't have the skills to be a top 4 defensemen in the league. I can't point out any "bads" specifically because I am filled with good memories about this year.

11-12: Joe Corvo, that is all. Shelfer nailed it. He's the real big bag of suck.
    Feeling left out in society? Are you that kid? The Bruins forum can help you.

PSD's Zdeno Chara

PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Yeti FTW

vCash
    Strange, I wasn't thinking of a player per year, but that works too

I forgot about Blake Wheeler's odd man rush crushing powers. He could NEVER stay onsides... So annoying!

vCash
    I was pretty excited for Bochenski as well. Didn't he add all this weight to his frame and lost most of his speed? Shame, because at the end of the 07-08 year. 22 points in 31 games, I was super excited. Frustrating to this we gave up Versteeg for him indeed.

I agree with you guys on Wheeler and Corvo. For the reasons you stated, or in Corvo's case, didn't state.

vCash
    07-08 -> I've got Matt Lashoff. 90% of that team was awful, our team sucked this year
    08-09 -> Noke the Joke. Pettri Nokelainen had such a high upside, but he's worse than replacement level
    09-10 -> Trent Whitfield ACTUALLY played 16 games.... yes... he did, I'm shocked too.
    10-11 -> Have to agree with Blake Wheeler, he was atrocious.
    11-12 -> Probably Zach Hamil, but Boychuck and Corvo had the worst season for any regulars in a long time on the Bruins imo. (probably since 07 when our team was LOL bad) Even worse than Wheeler.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Pretty much agree with all the guys that have been mentioned.

As for 09-10 though, I think you could also throw in Steve Begin or Montador.
    PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Boston Bruins 2010-11 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

So nasty

Visit the Boston Bruins forum. Good times!

vCash
    Begin was actually pretty good imo

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Begin was actually pretty good imo
    I agree, he played his role well... at least well enough to not be featured on this list. He was part of a carousel of 4th line centers that came through here during the period in question. Among them were Metropolit, Yelle, Begin, and ultimately Campbell who proved to be the best option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Top Shelfer View Post
    I agree, he played his role well... at least well enough to not be featured on this list. He was part of a carousel of 4th line centers that came through here during the period in question. Among them were Metropolit, Yelle, Begin, and ultimately Campbell who proved to be the best option.
    Yea I dunno, maybe it was just that I had higher expectations for him

I think Hunwick definitely does take the cake for that year though
    PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Boston Bruins 2010-11 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

So nasty

Visit the Boston Bruins forum. Good times!

vCash
    Underacheiving does not = being bad.

Worst 5 off the top of my head: Mottau, Montador, Axelsson, Reich, and Lashoff

vCash
    Manny Fernandez, and Corvo

"I grew up in hockey, and I appreciate the game and respect the game, and I want to play in a place where it matters." - Soupy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast