Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    If that happens to be the case, then it would certainly be the first I've read/heard of it.

Backtracking to some of the Rick Porcello discussion, if not him, I think most of us want at least one consistent, younger cost/team controlled arm added this off-season. Otherwise, if not, I know I'm going to feel like we're spinning the wheels in respect to the rotation. Without looking to Arodys Vizcaino and within the system, as it stands, for 2014 we're looking at:

1/2. J. Samardzija
    3/4/5. T. Wood

Adding a Porcello, Brett Anderson, Anthony Bass, Casey Kelly, etc. -- they don't have to be a one or a two, but someone near or MLB ready to pencil in beyond the short term -- would boost my confidence going forward. And I fully expect that we will.
    I think we're going to see a reverse Rizzo/Cashner deal this offseason. One of Vitters/Jackson/Castillo sent off somewhere for the best near-MLB ready young pitcher that guy can net. And my gut says it's going to be Castillo.

There's been talk for, well, ever, that Castillo's non-throwing arm defense is poor. Considering Theo kept Varitek WAY longer than the numbers say he should have, you have to think this front office probably values those things. I think with Castillo's big callup, and the poor state of catching around the league, he gets moved somewhere. Not to mention, if the Cubs' internal numbers jive with ZiPS, then Clevenger's not a huge dropoff from Castillo on offense. ZiPS has Castillo at .240/.309/.398 and Clevenger at .261/.309/.361.

vCash
    Agreed with Jilly there. Castillo is a prime trade piece given his callup, price, and position. Hellooooo Tampa or something.

vCash
    Not disagreeing with either of you, nor did I intend to suggest otherwise. I may have missed prior conversations where Wellington Castillo was mentioned as part of a potential trade.

Related, Bruce Levine pushed the theory on Talkin' Baseball yesterday that Steve Clevenger is the odd man out. Levine said Clevenger is either a trade component or starting the season at Triple-A, and that he expects Castillo to be the everyday catcher this season.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Wouldn't bother me at all if any one of Castillo/Vitters/Jackson are traded for a young pitcher. Makes sense.

vCash
    If it's widely known that Castillo's defense will be a hindrance, why would another team trade a MLB ready pitching prospect?
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    That pitcher will also have flaws.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    If it's widely known that Castillo's defense will be a hindrance, why would another team trade a MLB ready pitching prospect?
    He has the tools to be a good defender. Some team would be willing to work with him.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678