Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post
    Delmon Young blows.
    When he wants to dedicate himself he could be a steal but it's getting him to do so. He has a lot of issues but that's the kind of player I am willing to take a risk on as seen by his performance in the ALCS he could be the bargain of the free agent class.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    When he wants to dedicate himself he could be a steal but it's getting him to do so. He has a lot of issues but that's the kind of player I am willing to take a risk on as seen by his performance in the ALCS he could be the bargain of the free agent class.
    He can't play defense and over his career has been terrible. He's just a bad player. There's nothing that's going to fix him at this point.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Lots of talent, but hes contract better be incentive laden, and that just isnt done like it use to be.

vCash
    Who would you consider a good free agent signing that qualifies as an efficient long term deal ?
    Read your post and then the quote it was responding to. The two don't match. Taking a flyer on a guy who "needs to apply himself" isn't efficient at all. It's a gamble.

Using a stretch of 5 games to determine a player's value...sound plan, there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    I'm with you on Upton and Sanchez that would be a good fit. I think you can get for market value and they will be able to produce for the length of their deals.
    if you are getting these players at fair market, why would they come here instead of going to a team that is contending?
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    I remember Dioner and Garza once got into an on field spat while both were playing in Tampa. it wasn't anything like the big z/barrett spat...but I only remember this cause i had money on that game. just sayin....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post
    Read your post and then the quote it was responding to. The two don't match. Taking a flyer on a guy who "needs to apply himself" isn't efficient at all. It's a gamble.

Using a stretch of 5 games to determine a player's value...sound plan, there.
    Maybe I did not read the question correctly. However I still think Young has a ton of talent he is just a lazy player and has picked upa ton of weight. I will go back and read what was said... and Milner you know damn well I would not base a players performance over a 5 game span as gospel, however after watching him play for the last 8 years I say he still has all the talent in the world. If you didn't know that YOU SHOULD HAVE...LOL!
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

vCash
    Maybe I did not read the question correctly. However I still think Young has a ton of talent he is just a lazy player and has picked upa ton of weight. I will go back and read what was said... and Milner you know damn well I would not base a players performance over a 5 game span as gospel, however after watching him play for the last 8 years I say he still has all the talent in the world. If you didn't know that YOU SHOULD HAVE...LOL!
    Talent is there, sure. He was a highly touted prospect out of the Ray's system, IIRC.

Problem is, he's had 3 years of mediocre to horrible performances. The guy just isn't someone I'd like the Cubs to commit lots of years and dollars to. The kind of contract that Dejesus got? That might be more interesting. Thing is, he can't play CF and that's our biggest hole right now unless Soriano gets interest from another team. I'd rather stick with Soriano and Dejesus in the corners and go after Bourn.

vCash
    Who would you consider a good free agent signing that qualifies as an efficient long term deal ?
    Milner was 100% correct I did not read the question correctly.

D. Young at 4 years 24 million
    Zack. G at 7 years 7 years 129.5
    Anibal S at 7 years 82 million
    M. Bourne 5 years 64 Million
    Upton 5 years 60 million
    Last edited by ABE32; 11-15-2012 at 06:40 PM.

vCash
    Does anyone here outside of me thinks Theo signed Navarro as a bridge to getting Castillion fully ready to be the full time starter? Meaning he wins the starting job and we work Castillio in slowly and maybe deal Navarro down the road?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    if you are getting these players at fair market, why would they come here instead of going to a team that is contending?
    Maybe you give an extra year or they believe they can help make the Cubs contenders. It is the job of the front office to sell the benefits of coming to Chicago.

vCash
    Does anyone here outside of me thinks Theo signed Navarro as a bridge to getting Castillion fully ready to be the full time starter? Meaning he wins the starting job and we work Castillio in slowly and maybe deal Navarro down the road?
    Maybe. I still don't like Castillo's receiving or game calling skills. It's that that's keeping him from being a league average catcher instead of a guy extremely raw at the position in my opinion.

vCash
    Maybe you give an extra year or they believe they can help make the Cubs contenders. It is the job of the front office to sell the benefits of coming to Chicago.
    No longer makes it at market value.

The front office is not a bunch of ****ing magicians. You can only put so much lipstick on the pig. I love that your fall back to all of these is, "while the front office should be able to do it".

The cubs are bad. Wrigley is cold for half the season. The amenities and facilities suck. This is probably why they are focusing on fixing these things as well, because its hard to lure a free agent to your team when these things exist.

It is harder for a team that is in the cubs position to get someone at market value than I think you give it credit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    No longer makes it at market value.

The front office is not a bunch of ****ing magicians. You can only put so much lipstick on the pig. I love that your fall back to all of these is, "while the front office should be able to do it".

The cubs are bad. Wrigley is cold for half the season. The amenities and facilities suck. This is probably why they are focusing on fixing these things as well, because its hard to lure a free agent to your team when these things exist.

It is harder for a team that is in the cubs position to get someone at market value than I think you give it credit
    You could be correct, but you're also neglecting some of the selling points of Chicago. Greater access to endorsement opportunities, more nationally televised opportunities than your normal bad team, access to night life and entertainment, and the chance to be a part of something that would allow to be as obnoxious as every member of the 1972 Dolphins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    You could be correct, but you're also neglecting some of the selling points of Chicago. Greater access to endorsement opportunities, more nationally televised opportunities than your normal bad team, access to night life and entertainment, and the chance to be a part of something that would allow to be as obnoxious as every member of the 1972 Dolphins.
    1. Teams and players that win get endorsement deals too.

2. Good teams, and teams that make the post season have more nationally televised games too. (are the cubs even that highly nationally televised as bad as they are?) I'm not saying they sign with a bad team, so I don't really get that point?

3. They spend about as much time away from the city as they do here during the season. Also, many other cities have night life and entertainment.

4. That one I'll give you.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast