Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Ah, the "it's okay to pay too much for a very fungible player because we have a lot of money" defense.

It really is like the Jim Hendry days all over again...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad73 View Post

And to the people complaining about it being $1.75 million, what? It's a one year deal and in today's market anything under $2 million is literally pocket change. We have a **** load of payroll available and as long as none of it is spent on anything inefficient over a long term then their is no reason to complain about money.
    Who would you consider a good free agent signing that qualifies as an efficient long term deal ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Ah, the "it's okay to pay too much for a very fungible player because we have a lot of money" defense.

Navarro had multiple offers on the table- at least two of which were for more money (2M)...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Screw sabermetics.

vCash

I thought this would make you happy not unhappy. The dude is a former all star like Soto and we were paying soto a tad under 5 Million. I think the deal is not bad but not great. This kid could stick around or play a bigger role this year if Castillio can't handle full time duties...I wanted Laird but oh well. $7.25 mill for 2 players does not upset me we can't under pay for everyone.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Navarro had multiple offers on the table- at least two of which were for more money (2M)...
    Then you pass on him.

It's not a big deal in the long run, but you shouldn't have to pay more than the league minimum for crappy backup catchers.

vCash

Not defending the $1.75m price tag, but we've got a good chunk of money, and it's just a one year deal. There's a difference between this and a Jim Hendry bench deal (Like Aaron Miles at 2 years).

He's probably over paid by $500,000. And I don't deny that. But I wouldn't go as far as that I'm amazingly upset, either. I just don't even think this move makes me care either way.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    I thought this would make you happy not unhappy. The dude is a former all star like Soto and we were paying soto a tad under 5 Million. I think the deal is not bad but not great. This kid could stick around or play a bigger role this year if Castillio can't handle full time duties...I wanted Laird but oh well. $7.25 mill for 2 players does not upset me we can't under pay for everyone.
    It makes me neither. 25 teams will have backup catchers just like him this season, so it's nothing to praise or bash either way. We just paid a little more than necessary.

9. 11-15-2012, 05:14 PM
    Reason
    baiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    Who would you consider a good free agent signing that qualifies as an efficient long term deal ?
    Well to put in perspective, lets use the guy that gets the most debate on here in regards to free agency, BJ Upton. I'd be willing to go to a maximum of four years capped off at $52 million, I believe we discussed this the other day. If you want a pitching analogy, Edwin Jackson on a little more than Ted Lilly deal, at most $48 million over 4 years would be a solid get as well. On the other hand the headcases such as Greinke or Hamilton I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. That is unless Greinke could be had for under $20 million per and no more than 5 seasons. Hamilton, it still boggles my mind that any Cub fan thinks he would be a good hire.
    Last edited by Muhammad73; 11-15-2012 at 05:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    Zack G
    Upton
    D. Young
    M.Bourne
    A. Sanchez

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    It makes me neither. 25 teams will have backup catchers just like him this season, so it's nothing to praise or bash either way. We just paid a little more than necessary.
    Ahhhhhgreed!

vCash
    Demetri Young?
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Zack G
    Upton
    D. Young
    M.Bourne
    A. Sanchez
    Delmon Young blows.

vCash
    Zack G
    Upton
    D. Young
    M.Bourne
    A. Sanchez
    I'm with you on Upton and Sanchez that would be a good fit. I think you can get for market value and they will be able to produce for the length of their deals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post
    Delmon Young blows.
    More than blows. Delmon young sucks AND blows. Sometimes, simultaneously. Don't ask how, a magician never reveals his secrets.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast