Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Well reasonable meaning no obvious stupid overpays. As long as theres no walker, franklin or current offensive starters im fine.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    I think Brad Miller makes Franklin expendable.
    I'm In.

vCash
    He does if he can play SS, but Ive heard otherwise. I prefer Millers bat, but Ive heard he is kind of a butcher.

Part of me hopes he can stick at SS so we can trade Franklin while his value seems pretty high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    If we get Gordon and Butler then yeah, all day. But Im not for trading away from the offense if we dont get enough back.

I think people are overrating defense at 1st. We already had the best D in the league, and the worst O. Shouldnt we try to even that out a little?
    1st base and 3rd base Defense is very important you can't have a guy messing up on plays with Monteros speed i don't trust him at either hot corner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    He does if he can play SS, but Ive heard otherwise. I prefer Millers bat, but Ive heard he is kind of a butcher.

Part of me hopes he can stick at SS so we can trade Franklin while his value seems pretty high.
    JAC seems to think Franklin is destined for 2B.
    Dealing Ryan opens the shortstop position for Nick Franklin. While I don't necessarily believe he's primed and ready to produce in the majors right now, I am not one who believes he can't play shortstop -- yes, he's better at second base, but is not awful at shortstop and still shows solid footwork and adequate range.

Offensively there's little doubt he's an immediate upgrade to Ryan and could easily put up league-average shortstop numbers at the plate -- .256/.309/.376 in 2012.

If the Mariners decide to take such a route, however, they're likely to seek a veteran utility player that can play shortstop as well as push and mentor Franklin.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Moar

miller, the m's second-round pick in 2011, struggled defensively early in the year at high desert, but the field conditions, scouts and player development staff confirm, were awful, and he has made great strides with the glove and now has a chance to stick at the position.

"he's got enough arm, moves very fluidly and with instincts," said an american league scout. "we crosschecked him before the draft and he's significantly better now out there."

but can he hit?

Miller, judging by the 70 or so plate appearances i have seen on video (20 or so from high desert, the rest from his time in jackson), does a lot of things well. He stays back, even versus left-handed pitching, keeps his hands in good hitting position and whips them through zone, dragging the bat through with good line-drive plane and average power.

Miller is very selective and has a solid, professional approach at the plate. His swing still isn't pretty, per se, but he's cleaned it up some since college.

This trio, along with nick franklin, give the mariners four projected average ( or better) major leaguers, and three of them profile up the middle. Romero will likely end up at third base or left field. Franklin could end up as a second baseman long term, but i haven't given up on shortstop like some others have. He's not done developing physically which could make a rather large impact on his abilities at short. miller has better physical tools than franklin, but if he has to move off short for whatever reason, he'll be able to handle second base or center field.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    1st base and 3rd base Defense is very important you can't have a guy messing up on plays with Monteros speed i don't trust him at either hot corner.
    3rd is, but 1st is the least important defensive position, next to maybe LF. If you are gonna have a poor defender, 1st is the place to do it.

Do you really think poor defense at 1st when we were the best defensive team is the league is a bigger deal than getting a .300/.370/.500 bat?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    JAC seems to think Franklin is destined for 2B.
    from what im taking is he thinks franklin can still play ss while alot of opinions are that he is 2b.

vCash
    Thats what I got too.

I still like Miller more if he can stay at SS and play passable D there. His bat is better/as good, and Franklin has more trade value

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Moar
    thanks for sharing. sounds like we are pretty middle IF deep, especially if you throw in seager's potential at 2b.

makes you think there is a good possibility we could deal from here. id like to see what ackley and franklin's bat look like side by side.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    thanks for sharing. sounds like we are pretty middle IF deep, especially if you throw in seager's potential at 2b.

makes you think there is a good possibility we could deal from here. id like to see what ackley and franklin's bat look like side by side.
    Yeah.

That's what I'm saying. Deal Franklin if he and Miller are as close as it seems. Franklin has much more value.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Makes me more OK with him and Paxton for Upton. Or Butler? Might be an overpay. Id rather do Paxton and Vargas if that works. Throw in Martinez/Triunfel or something? Both have little value now but who knows

vCash
    Trading Pax for DH like butler makes me a bit nervous. Butler has a excellent hit tool but Pax has number 1/2 upside.

Or bullpen so pick your poison i guess

vCash
    I'd move Paxton as the main piece for Butler in a second.
    I'm In.

vCash
    i hear you. i was way against it last week but im warming up to it now

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast