Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

5 Hour Energy...

I knew there was something sketchy about this product..as to why I have never tried it.

US regulators report possible link between caffeine shot, deaths
    Reuters
    Nov. 14, 2012 6:28PM PST

(Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration confirmed on Wednesday the receipt of reports that another caffeine drink, 5-hour Energy, may have been involved in a number of deaths - in this case 13 over the past four years.

The reports were first detailed by the New York Times on Wednesday.

The news follows the FDA's disclosure last month that it was investigating reports of five deaths that may be related to Monster Beverage's namesake drinks.

The highly caffeinated beverages are the fastest-growing type of soft drink in the United States, with sales increasing 17 percent last year to about $9 billion, according to Beverage Digest.

FDA spokeswoman Shelly Burgess said that 5-hour Energy, sold by Living Essentials, has been mentioned in some 90 FDA filings since 2009, including more than 30 that involved serious or life-threatening events like heart attacks, convulsions, and in one case, a spontaneous abortion, the New York Times reported.

The Times said another federal agency, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, reported late last year that more than 13,000 emergency room visits in 2009 were associated with energy drinks alone.

But Elaine Lutz, spokeswoman for Living Essentials, the company that distributes 5-hour Energy, said in a statement that the product "is not an energy drink" (the so-called shot comes in a bottle that holds less than 2 ounces).

"Living Essentials," the statement went on, "takes reports of any potential adverse event tied to our products very seriously. We fully comply with all of our reporting requirements." The company was "unaware of any deaths proven to have been caused by the consumption of 5-hour Energy."

Currently the FDA does not publicly disclose adverse event filings about dietary supplements, including energy shot drinks.

vCash
    ... and I had one just this morning

vCash

ewing

spontaneous abortions- now that's a good band name

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    lmfao!

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Especially if it's a riot girl act.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Isn't It really just caffeine?

It's around the same amount as a cup of coffee.
    It increases heart rate.
    If you're not supposed to have caffeine/have a bad heart, you'll likely get a heart attack from having 5-hour energy.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j0h@n63 View Post
    Isn't It really just caffeine?

It's around the same amount as a cup of coffee.
    It increases heart rate.
    If you're not supposed to have caffeine/have a bad heart, you'll likely get a heart attack from having 5-hour energy.
    this

this has been happening in the supplement industry for ever

Lets ban anything that has caffeine!

vCash
    Im not sure why someone who is pregnant would think 5 hour energy is ok lol

vCash
    I want a spontaneous abortion

vCash
    pretty obvious those commercials were bull. always thought these were horrible for you, like most energy drinks
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I've heard of people having these problems if they take 2 of these back to back. 10 hours of energy for a 5 hour time period is just too much energy.

vCash
    Just last week I got one from 7/11 and like 2 hours in I was working out and I had to kneel because I was having trouble breathing and my vision was becoming blurry and it felt like my heart was about to explode. This feeling lasted about 5-10 minutes and then I was fine....Probably gonna stay away from it now and go another route.

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Just last week I got one from 7/11 and like 2 hours in I was working out and I had to kneel because I was having trouble breathing and my vision was becoming blurry and it felt like my heart was about to explode. This feeling lasted about 5-10 minutes and then I was fine....Probably gonna stay away from it now and go another route.
    Nothing to worry about. All those symptoms just means its working

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    chew on two baby aspirin and drink a cup of coffee

better than an energy drink or energy shot or whatever you kids are doing now a days
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Dude like the exact same thing happened to me last year. They were handing them out on finals week at my college last year. I drank half of one before playing some pickup basketball and things started getting weird. I was having trouble breathing and my heart started beating quick. Then the lights in the gym got really bright and I felt like I was going to pass out. Needless to say I won't be having an energy drink again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast