Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The latest from MLBTR:

The Latest On The Marlins-Blue Jays Blockbuster
    By Mike Axisa

The baseball world is still reeling from the Blue Jays-Marlins blockbuster, which still has yet to be made official. A total of 12 players will change hands once things are finalized. Here's the latest on the trade...

Commissioner Bud Selig told Bob Nightengale of USA Today that the trade is currently being reviewed (Twitter link). Selig said he is "not happy," but so far doesn't he see a reason to disallow the deal according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter).
    Selig has heard a lot of grumbling from other owners about the trade, writes Ken Davidoff of The New York Post. Clubs from the AL East, NL West, and NL Central are not happy with the on-field ramifications of the swap.
    "A couple of years from now we might look back on this as a warning sign," said an official to ESPN's Buster Olney (Insider required). There is concern within the game that the latest collective bargaining agreement hurt small market clubs and that similar blockbuster sell-offs may become more frequent.
    The Marlins plan to start Adeiny Hechavarria at shortstop with Yunel Escobar playing third base, Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports. However, the Marlins haven't ruled out flipping Escobar to a third team.
    Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports notes (on Twitter) that the Marlins will receive a combined 32 years of team control over the players in the trade. The Blue Jays, however, will receive just 12 years of control.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#jxMVQ0rJ4coPVzQB.99

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    People in Miami need to let that man do his job. The Marlins have built winners and torn them apart a few times now. The guy is right about his team becoming a circus last year and finishing in last place with a huge payroll. Instead of doing a partial rebuild, they got rid of any huge contract and are starting over. They still have

Projected starting lineup:

2B/3B- Solano- (24)- hit .295/.342/.375 last year in 93 games.
    SS- Escobar (30)- was an all-star in 2011 and knows the NL East.
    RF- Stanton (22)- no details needed..everyone know him.
    CF-Ruggiano (30)- played 91 games last year and had an OPS over .900
    C- Brantley (23)-finished with 100 AB's and a slash of .290/.372/.460 last year.
    1B-Morrison (24)- had an OPS of .797 in 2011 with 23 HR's.
    2B/3B- Hechavarria
    LF-?

Top 4 in their rotation:

Nolasco -29
    Alvarez -22
    Eovaldi- 22
    Turner- 21

They also have top prospects Jose Fernandez and Justin Nicolino who should both be ready in another 2 years to give them a rotation all under 25.

If the Marlins took that money saved in this trade and find a solid LF/1B (wherever you don't put Morrison) , another SP like (Grienke,Sanchez,Lohse, Kuroda or Dempster...) and a couple solid bullpen arms they probably would do better then last season....and they would have a bright future with top prospects like Jose Fernandez, Justin Nicolino, Christian Yellich and Jake Marisnick only a year or 2 away.
    coughlin and yelich will be playing....and nolasco and LoMo are on the market

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    People in Miami need to let that man do his job. The Marlins have built winners and torn them apart a few times now. The guy is right about his team becoming a circus last year and finishing in last place with a huge payroll. Instead of doing a partial rebuild, they got rid of any huge contract and are starting over. They still have

Projected starting lineup:

2B/3B- Solano- (24)- hit .295/.342/.375 last year in 93 games.
    SS- Escobar (30)- was an all-star in 2011 and knows the NL East.
    RF- Stanton (22)- no details needed..everyone know him.
    CF-Ruggiano (30)- played 91 games last year and had an OPS over .900
    C- Brantley (23)-finished with 100 AB's and a slash of .290/.372/.460 last year.
    1B-Morrison (24)- had an OPS of .797 in 2011 with 23 HR's.
    2B/3B- Hechavarria
    LF-?

Top 4 in their rotation:

Nolasco -29
    Alvarez -22
    Eovaldi- 22
    Turner- 21

They also have top prospects Jose Fernandez and Justin Nicolino who should both be ready in another 2 years to give them a rotation all under 25.

If the Marlins took that money saved in this trade and find a solid LF/1B (wherever you don't put Morrison) , another SP like (Grienke,Sanchez,Lohse, Kuroda or Dempster...) and a couple solid bullpen arms they probably would do better then last season....and they would have a bright future with top prospects like Jose Fernandez, Justin Nicolino, Christian Yellich and Jake Marisnick only a year or 2 away.

Except they are saying Nolasco is the next to go, and now they are shopping Morrison as well. And to top it all of, Stanton is pissed off and will most likely not resign here once he is eligible for free agency in a few years

My American Hero

KoB Owns My Soul For Life

vCash
    ahhhhhh...i can't handle this trade review

vCash
    That would be pretty pathetic if they vetoed the trade. If they didn't veto the Sox/Dodgers trade then they shouldn't veto the Jays/Marlins trade.

Think about what the Sox got back - Loney, De La Rosa and Sands.

I can't wait for the trade to be made official.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysforever View Post
    The latest from MLBTR:

The Latest On The Marlins-Blue Jays Blockbuster
    By Mike Axisa
    "A couple of years from now we might look back on this as a warning sign," said an official to ESPN's Buster Olney (Insider required). There is concern within the game that the latest collective bargaining agreement hurt small market clubs and that similar blockbuster sell-offs may become more frequent.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#jxMVQ0rJ4coPVzQB.99
    So we've watched the Yankees and Red Sox in our divison do these types of deals for 20 years, the Jays do it and all of the sudden it's a "warning sign."

Hard not to feel like if Baltimore did this it would be cheered by the American outlets. We all know that if the Yankees did it there wouldn't be an eyebrow raised. Sorry, but I was around for the back-to-backs and there was a lot of hatred and hypocrisy from American markets then and this all feels similar.

vCash
    Bob McCown is on right now... this should be fun

vCash
    ****, come on

vCash
    this is worse than the darvish saga

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    That would be pretty pathetic if they vetoed the trade. If they didn't veto the Sox/Dodgers trade then they shouldn't veto the Jays/Marlins trade.

Think about what the Sox got back - Loney, De La Rosa and Sands.

I can't wait for the trade to be made official.
    We gave the Marlins a whole lot more than the Sox got. This is just Selig wanting some one to think he has this power if he wanted to. Once the physicals are done it will be official.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by masTOR_shake1 View Post
    this is worse than the darvish saga
    That we did to ourselves because we thought we had money. Makes you wonder if this was last year, would we have been legit contenders for Darvish, but thats all old news now. I'm just glad we do have money now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hurt View Post
    Raptors got more than the trade exception for Bosh.

They got their own 2011 1st round pick back from Miami which turned in to Jonas Valanciunas, and they got Miami's first round pick which Colangelo traded to Chicago for James Johnston.
    So 2-1st round picks and the trade exception.
    The pick was lottery protected anyways so it didn't affect the drafting of Valanciunas.

Although the whole conversation is irrelevant. It was a sign and trade deal where Bosh was signing in Miami anyways. The picks coming back and getting a TPE was just for co-operating with that process so Bosh could get an additional year on his deal as he "technically" resigned with the Raptor's prior to becoming a member of the Heat. Also, that deal has no relevance to this baseball deal, I'm not sure why it was brought up in the first place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    We gave the Marlins a whole lot more than the Sox got. This is just Selig wanting some one to think he has this power if he wanted to. Once the physicals are done it will be official.
    I'm aware of the difference, I'm just pointing out that when even more money changed hands the Commish stood by and did nothing.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    I'm aware of the difference, I'm just pointing out that when even more money changed hands the Commish stood by and did nothing.
    do you really think this has anything to do with money changing hands though? does anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    no no i'm sick to my stomach because i'm terrified it will be overturned. however if it happened, as much as i would hate it, i realize there are way more people angry at this deal than there are happy and that might be a factor.
    Ahhhhh, my apologies. I don't think Selig will veto it, I know the ramifications if he does allow it but he also has to take into consideration that the ramifications will be bigger if he veto's it

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast