Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    I'm fine with this move, as long as Atlanta uses the extra resources to go out and sign significant players for their other needs (i.e. Upton, Ross, etc.).

If they were reluctant to give David Ross the extra money and do nothing else to improve elsewhere, then I'm upset with the move. At that point, they may as well given the money to Ross.

Am I wrong to think that Christian Bethancourt may be in the majors to start the season (thus making Laird a back-up anyway)? As long as Brian McCann returns healthy, the move is ultimately irrelevant.

vCash
    I think it's safe to assume Bethancourt will start the season in the majors unless it looks like McCann is going to miss a significant (2 months or more) amount of time - at which point we'd probably sign yet another backup catcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wcg View Post
    laird better bring his bat because because whoever is his backup to start the season will have a great shot to take over that job before the start of the season especially if it is bethancourt
    I just don't see Bethancourt being a factor in the majors right now, and definitely not enough of one to unseat Gerald Laird. We're talking about a kid that just posted a .566 OPS...at Double-A. Patience is needed with him, and he needs to go back to the minors and develop rather than being rushed to The Show.

Quote Originally Posted by dannybfast24 View Post
    sounds like the braves need to draft more catchers
    You don't draft for need. Not in baseball, where it's such a crapshoot. You take the players you like best, and IF they develop, you can always make trades if you have positional surpluses or scarcities.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    I think it's safe to assume Bethancourt will start the season in the majors unless it looks like McCann is going to miss a significant (2 months or more) amount of time - at which point we'd probably sign yet another backup catcher.
    I don't think it's safe at all to assume that about Bethancourt. He needs the development time, badly. So I think they'll pick up some minor-league veterans to compete for the early-season backup job, but I sort of hope they'll give it to Evan Gattis and just see what happens.

vCash
    If it's for a short period of time the Braves have shown the inclination in the past to give their prospects a taste of the majors. Plus his defense is already major league ready - which is all you need from a backup. Look at what happened with Simmons - he was basically forced into the role by outside pressures and not by him tearing up the minors.

Plus there's no way they carry Gattis as a backup catcher. He's a bad defender and giving him 5 PA per week is not going to do anything for his development. I'd be curious as to what minor league veterans are out there on the cheap that will be better than Bethancourt in a backup role.

vCash
    I've read from Bowman and O'Brien via twitter that Gattis may get a look as a catcher in the majors (has been playing some leftfield as well).

At this point, I'm not sure I feel too comfortable with Laird as the starting catcher (that's if McCann returns to form within the first month of the season), but I also agree with rgthree....there's no need to rush Bethancourt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    If it's for a short period of time the Braves have shown the inclination in the past to give their prospects a taste of the majors. Plus his defense is already major league ready - which is all you need from a backup. Look at what happened with Simmons - he was basically forced into the role by outside pressures and not by him tearing up the minors.

Plus there's no way they carry Gattis as a backup catcher. He's a bad defender and giving him 5 PA per week is not going to do anything for his development. I'd be curious as to what minor league veterans are out there on the cheap that will be better than Bethancourt in a backup role.
    The Braves have been willing to give their prospects a look, but this situation is definitely different. For one thing, Bethancourt is a rare kind of raw. So much talent but in need of so much work. Simmons wasn't tearing up the minors but he wasn't sucking either (as Bethancourt was). He might be OK as a defense-only backup, but he needs the development time and can't afford to let his approach get out of whack at all. Plus, at this point, I would argue that Gattis is the better prospect anyway.

Gattis is a bad defender, but that might be tolerable if he doesn't play too much, and he could earn a permanent spot as a pinch-hitter or bench bat at least. I'm not worried about Gattis' development nearly as much as Bethancourt's. I personally think most minor-league veterans would contribute more than Bethancourt, especially when you factor in the risk of stunting the development of a player who is still maturing both mentally and physically.

vCash
    Also, for the record, Laird's deal is officially $3 million over two years with $750,000 in potential incentives. So Ross got more per year than Laird got for two years. Still partially think it would've been worth it to keep Ross, but this is tolerable depending on how the saved funds get spent.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234