Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

NBA ticket sales in the toilet

As stated in the article there are tickets being sold online for as cheap as 10 cents. Atlanta, Orlando, Memphis, Charlotte, New Orleans, Philly etc. can't give them away....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...7316--nba.html

vCash
    That's because those teams either suck or have fair weather fans like Philly, Memphis, New Orleans and Atlanta.

The NBA will always make their money in tickets through Lakers, Clippers, Heat, Celtics, Knicks, Nets, etc.

vCash
    yet knicks ticks are like 80+

Quote Originally Posted by NYK_kidd77 View Post
    Lol how can you guys hate the knicks thats like going to the special olympics and booing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Punk View Post
    That's because those teams either suck or have fair weather fans like Philly, Memphis, New Orleans and Atlanta.

The NBA will always make their money in tickets through Lakers, Clippers, Heat, Celtics, Knicks, Nets, etc.
    Did you start watching basketball 3 years ago or something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J4KOP99 View Post
    More like 1 year ago.

vCash
    The Clippers and the Nets fan bases have been two of the most pathetic fan bases throughout nba history. Granted, the Clippers fans never had much to cheer for but the Nets couldn't sell out nba finals games in the early 00's

vCash
    The Clippers and the Nets fan bases have been two of the most pathetic fan bases throughout nba history. Granted, the Clippers fans never had much to cheer for but the Nets couldn't sell out nba finals games in the early 00's
    You do realize the Clippers/Nets ticket prices are 100 and up right? This isn't 3 years ago. Both are beyond profitable franchises now in LA and NY.

The NBA in the next 10 years will see tons of profit from both instead of the usual Lakers and Knicks bringing in the cash from both major markets.

Once, Rose comes back the Bulls ticket prices will skyrocket once again and the sellouts will return. So, the league is looking at 4 big markets (LA, NY, Miami, Chicago) with 6 teams that will probably combine for a billion or more in revenue.

vCash
    Secondary markets (Stubhub and Ebay) hurt ticket sales dramatically in certain cities.

It's happening in baseball too.

Why pay 150 bucks for tickets to a game when you can buy them on those sites for 20 dollars?
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-15-2012 at 01:55 AM.

vCash
    Blackouts

Being banned is like going to a correctional facility, it doesn't correct anything, in fact, it makes you worse

vCash

Ummm, outside of Knicks Fans (who have a giant market in NY), do you think any of these teams would sell out without having star players/good teams?

The Heat, Clippers, and Celtics just started selling out games when they got good. The Nets are new to the BK market so you can't judge them yet and the Lakers have been relevant since the 80s so their never was a reason not to go to games.

If your team has talent, people will go the games. If not, they won't. Few markets go against this logic and the ones you named aren't good examples. Not a very thoughtful analysis of the NBA market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    You do realize the Clippers/Nets ticket prices are 100 and up right? This isn't 3 years ago. Both are beyond profitable franchises now in LA and NY.

The NBA in the next 10 years will see tons of profit from both instead of the usual Lakers and Knicks bringing in the cash from both major markets.

Once, Rose comes back the Bulls ticket prices will skyrocket once again and the sellouts will return. So, the league is looking at 4 big markets (LA, NY, Miami, Chicago) with 6 teams that will probably combine for a billion or more in revenue.
    So 3 years, which happen to coincide with when they got good, prove they are loyal fanbases?

Its easy to have great attendance when your team is good, especially if they are good for a long time. The NBA isn't like baseball or football, where your team always has a chance if they make the playoffs. Everyone knows who the real contenders are from the beginning of the season and it can be reflected in ticket sales.

You look at Philly attendance in baseball, football, and hockey over the last 10 years and tell me how are we fair weather? Philly (without Bynum), Memphis, New Orleans and Atlanta don't have anywhere near the star power and/or don't boast teams as good as the Clips, Miami, LA, and NY so to compare makes no sense.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 11-15-2012 at 02:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Nets aren't good. Argument is moot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Secondary markets (Stubhub and Ebay) hurt ticket sales dramatically in certain cities.

It's happening in baseball too.

Why pay 150 bucks for tickets to a game when you can buy them on those sites for 20 dollars?
    Exactly. I live in Milwaukee and besides a few games like Heat, Lakers, and Thunder I have consistently bought tickets 5-10 rows behind teams bench for 20-30 dollars and those, while still cheap compared to other markets because it is Milwaukee, but are considered $150 tickets and getting them for 20-30 dollars on stubhub is a no brainer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MU and UW Fan View Post
    Exactly. I live in Milwaukee and besides a few games like Heat, Lakers, and Thunder I have consistently bought tickets 5-10 rows behind teams bench for 20-30 dollars and those, while still cheap compared to other markets because it is Milwaukee, but are considered $150 tickets and getting them for 20-30 dollars on stubhub is a no brainer.
    Yep, teams charge premium prices for seats like those.

Why bother when you can get a great deal somewhere else?

It really comes down to the fact that a lot of these teams need to lower their ticket prices. They are pricing their fan base out of the market.

vCash

i laughed. thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast