6 60.00%
  • We're fine and I'm just hitting the panic button too early

3 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's to blame?

Hybrid View

vCash

Who's to blame?

Eight games into the season and we're sitting all alone in last place in the Western Conference. I think that most of us have given up on the team being relevant this season. The question is who is to blame for this mess. I know that everyone is going to say the Maloofs and yes they are terrible owners, but let's look deeper at it. Do you think this is more a case of terrible coaching, a terrible roster, or both? Right now our roster looks like it has one or possibly two legit starters and a bunch of bench players. Did Petrie put together a terrible roster or is Smart's coaching making a talented roster look bad? Or, do we have a terrible roster being coached by a terrible coach? Basically, who needs to go: Petrie, Smart, or both.

vCash
    Smart's fault. The roster has plenty of talent, IMO.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Smart's fault. The roster has plenty of talent, IMO.
    Roster is full of talented players who are idiots who can't play as a team. Falls on the players and also falls on just an incompetent organization all around.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    It's a rough start. I still have faith that we'll start to put it together. Hopefully we will this next game having Boogie back.

If I had to put the blame on someone, it would be Smart though. He's gotta figure out how to use Reke and make him effective, cause what he's doing right now isn't working.

Players aren't hitting their shots either. And it doesn't help our record with suspensions so early in the season.

vCash
    I'm inclined to start blaming Petrie. Maybe his hands are more tied due to the Maloofs than we know, but this roster is just lacking something imo. Individually, most of the players have value, but as a whole the roster just doesn't cut it.

We have an awkward mix at PG of a bunch of players who just don't seem to be good enough for us to compete. None are especially good playmakers. IT is certainly the closest thing we have to a legit PG, and maybe he still will develop more, but I was hoping he'd have done that more over the summer. Small forward is a similar logjam of not-good-enough players, but despite his lack of shooting ability, I've been pretty happy with Johnson. If Salmons plays more like he did at the end of last year though, he should start.

Then, of course, is the issue that no one can shoot. Jimmer (and to a lesser extent Isaiah) are the only two on the team that I feel comfortable with shooting the ball. Thornton can get hot quick and can get hustle plays when he's cold, but he's definitely inconsistent. We've got a lot of athleticism, but it's like Petrie doesn't understand that we need to pursue someone who will help spread the floor.

Smart could certainly change up the rotation to help though. Having Johnson and Evans in is great for defense (at least theoretically), but neither can shoot at all, so with them on the floor, Jimmer almost has to be out there. Even if he's having an off night, teams know they can't ignore him on the perimeter, which frees up Tyreke and Johnson at least a little bit. Let Tyreke drive and kick it out to Jimmer or maybe Cousins in the midrange to hopefully get the offense more dynamic/versatile.

I don't know though. It's almost 2am here and I'm just kind of rambling.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash

Who's to blame?

I blame Petrie for signing brooks and smart for starting Isaiah...both take minutes from Jimmer haha jk guys! If I had to blame one person, it's tyreke Evans...you can't blame this on just one person in the organization... Tyreke
    Evans has downgraded since his rookie year and the only person to blame is himself. He is a very talented player and I hope he has a good career but he doesn't fit with a team who isn't using him as their number one option. If you watch the games this year, the team looks better when tyreke is off the court. I'm not trying to be rude or offend any tyreke fans, I promise.

I think with a young team, smart is doing great! DMC, Jimmer, Thornton, and T Rob all are improving because of smart. He is a tough coach, but also a players coach. I say build around those who fit with the system smart wants. Just my opinion, but if Nash wasn't so key for LA when he's back, I bet Jackson would be back. You gotta build your team around the system... I think a trade of tyreke and Derrick Williams would be a great trade for both teams.

vCash
    it's very hard to pinpoint. i personally feel like we have a good group of guys but they can't work together. Too many guys want the ball in their hands. I wan't to blame Smart for all his wacky rotations and not getting the best out of his players skill set yet how many coaching changes have we made since 2006. It makes you think, is Petrie making the right choices? Are his hands tied and making the best of what he can. Tough Call

vCash
    I blame the Maloofs for not throwing Batum a ridiculous contract.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Smart is doing a decent job... his lineups are way too sporadic (which gives me flashbacks of P-West). He's doing a good job with Cousins, but then again Big Cuz gets suspended within' the first 10 games.

Petrie needs to be more aggressive in building this team. We have a roster full of role players. Isaiah and Johnson wouldn't start on most teams in this league... So happens we've been trying to upgrade both those position for the longest time.

Petrie is settling with the lack of talent we have. If the Maloofs are pressing Petrie in terms of not making moves, then Petrie needs to grow a pair and get fired. It would probably be better for him. He'll get another job.

The Kings main problem is that the talent is too alike. We don't have 5 guys where you say THOSE ARE STARTERS! You have 2 guys and the rest could all make an argument to be in the lineup...

I'M A VERY DISAPPOINTED KINGS FAN

vCash
    Obviously there is still plenty of time left but I blame the players. They've been playing pretty crappy. But between Smart and Petrie, I would say Smart. Some of his rotations confuse me but regardless, the players need to execute.

vCash
    I think we have athletes but we dont have NBA players. For that reason I don't blame Keith Smart, I don't think another coach would make this a playoff quality team, and I think this team would be worst under P.W....Its not Keith Smart who is missing 20-23 foot shots. It's not Keith Smarts fault that Tyreke and Johnson can't make a open 20 footer. The teams defense has improved dramatically under Keith Smart, I think he has done a decent job, our problem is that we do not have the right talent to win.
    Last edited by Plague; 11-15-2012 at 04:08 AM.

vCash
    This is not Smarts fault. Petrie has put together a roster that simply doesn't fit. He bases all of his player acquisitions off of talent alone and doesn't look at whether or not the player he is targeting fits with the roster that he currently has. Picking Trob this past draft is a perfect example. We were resigning JT, we had Hayes and Cousins already, why draft Robinson when someone who plays the same position (Hickson) played terribly here because lack of playing time and personnel. He later went on to Portland and is play good, a lot better then he did here. We have a bunch of iso, ball dominant, me first player. I don't care who the coach is they'd struggle to win games with a team that doesn't pass and has no chemistry on the court.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dukefan View Post
    This is not Smarts fault. Petrie has put together a roster that simply doesn't fit. He bases all of his player acquisitions off of talent alone and doesn't look at whether or not the player he is targeting fits with the roster that he currently has. Picking Trob this past draft is a perfect example. We were resigning JT, we had Hayes and Cousins already, why draft Robinson when someone who plays the same position (Hickson) played terribly here because lack of playing time and personnel. He later went on to Portland and is play good, a lot better then he did here. We have a bunch of iso, ball dominant, me first player. I don't care who the coach is they'd struggle to win games with a team that doesn't pass and has no chemistry on the court.
    While that's partially true, I think a lot of the blame goes to Smart as well. Watching the kings, they just don't play like a team from the X's and O's standpoint, and they don't make any adjustments throughout the game. Smart is a great guy to teach these young players because he connects with them well and they like him, but in terms of a strategic standpoint, Smart and his staff don't have these guys playing systematically or like a team in any way. Now yes, some of that may be due to the fact that these guys don't mesh well together (mainly everybody playing with Evans) but Smart's also gotta do a better job at getting the offense running in some type of system or set or something! Half the time, they don't even get into a set. And whenever they do finally get into an offensive set, there's 10 seconds left on the shot clock. And like I said earlier, they don't make any adjustments from an "X's and O's" standpoint. Strategic-wise, we get outcoached. I do agree though that Petrie didn't do the best job at constructing a team that can play together. However, in the cases of drafting guys like Robinson and Jimmer, it was almost like pick the best player available during the time of the draft. We keep getting screwed from the top picks so we have to settle for a guy like Jimmer or Robinson in the 5-10 range.

vCash
    Not to mention we had the most cap space in the league last offseason and Petrie managed to crap away all of it. Signing players like Brooks who we didn't need (we have plenty of shoot first guards) and James Johnson, another poor outside shooter (which we have plenty of), and resigning JT to an outrageous contract he didn't deserve. Again making moves that doesn't fit what the roster needs. I don't blame Smart one bit. He's managed to get this team to play some legit defense, he hasn't been great, but he isn't doing a bad job either. Fire Petrie imo.

vCash
    I blame the Maloofs for firing Adelman, and ever since, we've been ****ing terrible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast