Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Looking at Jim(jimbaco)Buss from another perspective

Just something I thought about earlier today. How many great athletes have sired an equally great athlete? For whatever the reason this doesn't happen often. The son never lives up to the fathers greatness.

Now look at Jim Buss and what he has to live up to. Your dad came from nothing. Has phd in chemistry,be some a real estate tycoon and in his spare time becomes the greatest sports owner of all time. This dudes bar is set really high.

This is where his problem starts. Jim has to now prove himself. When you look at the moves that he's made in an attempt to prove his worth and make a name for himself he's decided to be a trailblazer instead of the safer conventional wisdom.

The first move of note is selecting Andrew Bynum over Sean may who had just come off a national championship. He took mike brown over the more established Rick adelman. Now his latest. Taking mike D'Antoni over the more qualified and fan favorite Phil Jackson.

It may sound like I'm being an apologist(I'm not) I'm just noticing a few similarities. Just like athletes Jim has become a victim of his fathers success. Look at some of the all time greats in any sport the success of the father makes life easier for the son. So they miss out on the blacktop battles or sandlot baseball or street football. Jim buss has never had to really work for anything. Life was pretty plush. Hopefully he's learning from these self imposed bumps in the road.

The lost boys

vCash
    For all I know Jim Buss may be an idiot.

But while everybody's focusing on the coaching change, I noted in another thread that nobody's patting Jim on the back for recognizing that his initial support and advocacy for Bynum proved to be a hindrance to the team. (If Jim Buss hadn't come to the realization that Bynum was a problem I guarantee you Bynum would still be on the team, which means we would have missed out on adding D12 to the Lakers.)

The fact that Jim Buss realized a change needed to be made is arguably the single most important decision the Lakers have made in the past three or four years. If D12 walks, it all blows up anyway. But if he comes back healthy and signs long term the Lakers will remain competitive long after Kobe retires.

And look at Bynum now, in Philly. Laker fans would be freaked about him missing months of play and turning himself into a bad-hair joke. Instead, we've got a new player with 5x the energy and considerably more reliable knees.

The very fact that nobody is talking about this tells me it's just pile-on time.

vCash
    Jim Buss just OWNED the so-called "Zen Master" of headgames, Phil Jackson, and flushed out all of his little spies that were undermining the organization in the process. Magic is out there on national TV praising a guy on a farm in Montana, and trashing by name the guy with all the power in Los Angeles, playing himself out.

That's a pretty good start.

From what I hear, Jerry Buss had his distrusts and differences with Phil Jackson, as did Jerry West.

Jim Buss just finished something here, and I like it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    Jim Buss just OWNED the so-called "Zen Master" of headgames, Phil Jackson, and flushed out all of his little spies that were undermining the organization in the process. Magic is out there on national TV praising a guy on a farm in Montana, and trashing by name the guy with all the power in Los Angeles, playing himself out.

That's a pretty good start.

From what I hear, Jerry Buss had his distrusts and differences with Phil Jackson, as did Jerry West.

Jim Buss just finished something here, and I like it.
    People don't like to say that Phil (along with Jim) is the reason Jerry west left. At this point Jim and Phil were kinda tight.

The lost boys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Legend42 View Post
    People don't like to say that Phil (along with Jim) is the reason Jerry west left. At this point Jim and Phil were kinda tight.
    Jerry West backed away from the Lakers and basketball because the stress was quite literally destroying his life.

vCash
    When West speaks, Laker Land listens. He joined fellow Lakers legend and Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar recently on Fox Sports Radio's Petros & Money show to discuss the hiring of Mike D'Antoni and expectations for a presumed super-team. "A lot of people think they have a championship caliber team," West said. "They may and they may not. When I look at this Lakers team I see flaws in it, but I think they are very capable and certainly injuries are going to be a part of that. But the most difficult thing to do when you have really good players is to hire the right coach." USA Today

West must another Moron according to our Jimbaco-Anthoni new couple!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    Jerry West backed away from the Lakers and basketball because the stress was quite literally destroying his life.
    I don't think that was the only issue. Phil and Jim telling him who to draft and what moves to make wore on him as we'll. here's a guy that has built several champions getting more than a little input from the bosses son and his employee.

The lost boys