Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 70 of 70
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    24,067
    vCash
    2502
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    ^ He's 24.
    Apologies. He was 23 this summer when the Rockets acquired him. Regardless, he's 24 with not even half an NBA season of experience under his belt and only eight games playing with a new roster of players. He deserves far more time than he's been given.


  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    16,141
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Apologies. He was 23 this summer when the Rockets acquired him. Regardless, he's 24 with not even half an NBA season of experience under his belt and only eight games playing with a new roster of players. He deserves far more time than he's been given.
    Lin will always be an interesting story, of course people will discuss him. If he were putting up 20 & 8 there would be threads about him too. Would you be saying "don't make this thread because its only been 8 games" then as well?

    And in fairness Lin didn't look too good in the preseason either. Thats 14-15 games where he's shooting under 35% and averaging like 8 & 6. It's not that small of a sample size anymore.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    24,067
    vCash
    2502
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Lin will always be an interesting story, of course people will discuss him. If he were putting up 20 & 8 there would be threads about him too. Would you be saying "don't make this thread because its only been 8 games" then as well?
    Actually, when Linsanity happened last season, I was one of the FIRST people who said the Lin threads needed to stop because of the ridiculously small sample size. But since he's on my team, of course I wouldn't ask for people to stop saying positive things about my favorite team's players. That's insane.

    And in fairness Lin didn't look too good in the preseason either. Thats 14-15 games where he's shooting under 35% and averaging like 8 & 6. It's not that small of a sample size anymore.
    A few things here...
    1. It's preseason and no one gives a ****.
    2. You can't average preseason and regular season stats together, because he was playing far fewer minutes.
    3. His shooting %s are down, but his assist numbers are up and his turnovers are down. Playing more of a PG role than last season, that's expected.
    4. This is a completely different system in New York and the dude didn't even play 40 games there last season, so what did you expect? That he was going to step into a new system and put up 20 and 8?
    5. He's shown glimpses in various games, so the talent is obviously there. Once he gets more consistent and his shooting numbers improve, you'll see more games of 16/8 or 17/7, etc.

    I don't care if the dude hasn't been shooting lights out with Houston so far. It's way too soon to make any kind of judgments about him. If after 20-30 games, he's still playing like this, we can revisit the issue. But an 8-game sample size is less than 10% of an NBA season.

    And if all he does this season is average 14/6 or 12/8, I'd be totally fine with that, given his contract (which was reasonable for a starting PG). He's below that pace right now, but he's only going to get better. Everyone just chill the **** out.


  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    16,141
    vCash
    1500
    ^ hey if you don't want to discuss sports you're in the wrong place.

    No one waits for 1/3rd of the season to play out before they discuss anything, that would be pretty boring no?

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    24,067
    vCash
    2502
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    ^ hey if you don't want to discuss sports you're in the wrong place.

    No one waits for 1/3rd of the season to play out before they discuss anything, that would be pretty boring no?
    Lol. Dude, you're clearly not getting it. I love discussing sports, but starting a thread saying "RIP Linsanity" after eight games is completely ludicrous. If someone wants to start a thread saying "What's wrong with Lin?", that's fine (and I believe we've already had a few of those). But saying that the dude's career is over or that he has no chance of being a star again is insane.

    It's not discussion that bothers me, it's the sheer number of threads on the subject and how far people are taking their ridiculous assumptions. Is he playing great basketball right now? No. Could he be playing better? Yes. But no one is disputing these facts. But there are also a million reasons to doubt that he'll play this bad for the entire rest of the season. So until we have a big enough sample size on the kid, I think it's fair to reserve judgment on him.


  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,611
    vCash
    1500
    Linsanity was fun and is definitely gone. But it is too early to write off Lin, Harden and Rockets. The season just started! Were are still in the first month of games. So just chill out and enjoy some bball

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cinci... Jersey Raised
    Posts
    2,704
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Lol. Dude, you're clearly not getting it. I love discussing sports, but starting a thread saying "RIP Linsanity" after eight games is completely ludicrous. If someone wants to start a thread saying "What's wrong with Lin?", that's fine (and I believe we've already had a few of those). But saying that the dude's career is over or that he has no chance of being a star again is insane.

    It's not discussion that bothers me, it's the sheer number of threads on the subject and how far people are taking their ridiculous assumptions. Is he playing great basketball right now? No. Could he be playing better? Yes. But no one is disputing these facts. But there are also a million reasons to doubt that he'll play this bad for the entire rest of the season. So until we have a big enough sample size on the kid, I think it's fair to reserve judgment on him.
    If I were a fan of the team I would certainly be holding out hope that he improves but as you said its been rough. The real "Linsanity" streak was really about an 8 game stretch and after that he was just solid. Many expected him to go back to that because they blamed Melo's return for Lin coming back to Earth. I think it is crazy to say he is done but just completely my opinion I don't think he is any kind of star. I enjoyed the run last year but didn't like the new bandwagon fans and how it seemed to divide the fanbase and team. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you guys because it sucks to fight within your own fanbase.

    It is fair to reserve judgement. I think its just a lot of us Knicks fans who didn't really want Lin back kind of took a beating all offseason from other Knicks/Lin fans who spent months bashing Melo/Woodson/Felton and all of us for being unintelligent or some of the worse ones claiming racism. Some of us didn't love his game and thought we could do the same or better for less money given the team we have. I think it is a better fit for you guys with a young developing team. These threads I think are an opportunity to talk about it being the right decision to let him go (since we are banned from talking about it on the Knicks forum) - just wanted to let you know where some of this might be coming from. I think he will still be a solid player but I don't personally think he is an all-star caliber player or a star but can certainly be very good.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    20,830
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    I've been watching and playing basketball for a long time. Linsanity ranks as one of the most enjoyable stretches as a fan of the game, ever.

    I was hyped up for this season; Lin had a chance to prove himself in a new town, for a new team. And now, those hopes are all but shattered.

    Lin is playing in a "system" which works against him and therefore works to the disadvantage of the rockets. Lin is most effective with a high usage rate, initiating the offense. Instead, he's been assigned a passive role, doing nothing but shooting an occasional spot up jumper.

    Meanwhile, harden is struggling with his predictable iso-ball/1 on 1 mandate. He's shooting 43% from the field and has more TO's than assists.

    The glorious run during Linsanity, and the promise of being one half of the flashiest, and best backcourt in the league, will soon become nothing more than a distant memory as Lin fades into mediocrity and obscurity.

    RIP Linsanity, and thanks for the memories.

    Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,120
    vCash
    1540

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    17,623
    vCash
    1150
    Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    I've been watching and playing basketball for a long time. Linsanity ranks as one of the most enjoyable stretches as a fan of the game, ever.

    I was hyped up for this season; Lin had a chance to prove himself in a new town, for a new team. And now, those hopes are all but shattered.

    Lin is playing in a "system" which works against him and therefore works to the disadvantage of the rockets. Lin is most effective with a high usage rate, initiating the offense. Instead, he's been assigned a passive role, doing nothing but shooting an occasional spot up jumper.

    Meanwhile, harden is struggling with his predictable iso-ball/1 on 1 mandate. He's shooting 43% from the field and has more TO's than assists.

    The glorious run during Linsanity, and the promise of being one half of the flashiest, and best backcourt in the league, will soon become nothing more than a distant memory as Lin fades into mediocrity and obscurity.

    RIP Linsanity, and thanks for the memories.
    Before last nights game he had 32 assists and 32 turnovers.

    PSD where 32 is more than 32.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •