Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    what the hell! how could it be that lopsided! According to the stats Kershaw was the best pitcher in the league, i get why some people voted for him, but this should have been a lot closer, jeeze had clayton not missed 1 start he would have finished with more K's and innings pitched.
    So you are saying that RA was more durable.
    RA had more QS 27 at 82% than Kershaw 25 at 76%, threw less walks in spite being a knuckleball pitcher and logged more innings pitched. He also had more complete games, shut outs and his K/BB ratio was 4.26 to 3.63.

Then if you throw in that Kershaw's home/away splits were pretty lopsided you can see why the votes went the way it did.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    He was on of the 1st to be cut in spring training.
    Before he had made his Mets debut.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    what the hell! how could it be that lopsided! According to the stats Kershaw was the best pitcher in the league, i get why some people voted for him, but this should have been a lot closer, jeeze had clayton not missed 1 start he would have finished with more K's and innings pitched.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSrdWK4t3XY
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    But he did miss a start so that theory doesn't fly. Dickey pitched the entire season with a torn oblique and did what he did. And you can't predict out that he would have had a good start if he pitched one more game. He could have gotten rocked it happens. The facts are that Dickey made each and every one of his starts, had six more IP, one more K, three more CG, one more SHO, the WHIP's were almost identical (1.02 for Kershaw & 1.05 for Dickey) but at the end of the day Dickey didn't win 20 games for a great team or even for a team hovering around .500, he pitched for one of the worst teams in the NL which had poor defense, no bullpen whatsoever and couldn't hit worth a lick with RISP. The fact that he won 20 was the deciding factor because the Dodgers were a way better team than the Mets and he was still able to accomplish that feat. Don't get me wrong I like Kershaw and I know for a fact he will win multiple Cy Youngs but this was Dickey's year and you can't take away from his accomplishments.
    Last edited by SILVER SEAVER; 11-15-2012 at 03:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    They need to get over it. Jesus, the guy just won the award the season before so it ain't like he's gotten screwed in the past and for some reason they can't understand that Dickey winning 20 on this pathetic Mets squad was the most impressive feat with the exception of Steve Carlton's 27 wins on that crappy 59 win Phillies team in '72.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Before he had made his Mets debut.
    That had to be Dickey's darkest day because when you're a starting pitcher and the Mets cut you in ST you have to start questioning yourself but due to R.A.'s intestinal fortitude what he accomplished this season far exceeded any expectations we could have possibly had for him even after his stellar 2010 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    That had to be Dickey's darkest day because when you're a starting pitcher and the Mets cut you in ST you have to start questioning yourself but due to R.A.'s intestinal fortitude what he accomplished this season far exceeded any expectations we could have possibly had for him even after his stellar 2010 season.
    No. He had many dark days before then. How could that have possibly compared to the day when he found out his $800,000 signing bonus was all but revoked when they found he was missing an ulner collateral ligament in his pitching elbow?

Fact is, Dickey had so many setbacks in his career that finding out he was cut in ST was just business as usual for him. And as Sick pointed out, nothing he had done up until that point showed he was even close to deserving a guaranteed spot in the major league roster.

LOL, I remember begging the Mets in the early days of 2010 to not bring up this RA Dickey guy. The last thing we needed, I figured, was an erratic 35 year old knuckleball pitcher.

I didn't change my tune until they televised that game from Buffalo in which he gave up a lead off single before retiring the next 27 batters in a row.

vCash
    Congratulations to Dickey. I am a big, huge, Grand Canyon wide Kershaw fan, but that was Dickey's year. Winning 20 with the (sorry) so weak offense. 230 Ks with an 80s fastball and knuckle. What a feat! Be wise, sign him for 3 years.
    I have always loved knuckleballer. Candiotti, Wakefield, Hough, Phil Niekro. Who was the best knuckelballer ever ?
    Next year will be Kershaw again ?. Baring injuries, he will be in the top 3 anyway.
    10-4 record at Dodger stadium !
    1-0 road record

vCash
    Congratulations RA, fully deserved, and it could not have happened to a nicer guy. Extra marks for this achievement in the face of adversity.

vCash
    Kinda late for me to chime in, but I just want to say that I have lived and died with the Mets since the early 80's (when I was 11, 12), and I have never been so proud to wrap a player up in the person.

As great a pitcher as he has become, he is a better man.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that his is the most inspiring life story in my life as a baseball fan.

Congratulations, Robert Allen Dickey.

Despite the sometimes pain of being a Mets fan, rooting for someone like you is what it's all about.

Hopelessly Devoted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koobs View Post
    Kinda late for me to chime in, but I just want to say that I have lived and died with the Mets since the early 80's (when I was 11, 12), and I have never been so proud to wrap a player up in the person.

As great a pitcher as he has become, he is a better man.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that his is the most inspiring life story in my life as a baseball fan.

Congratulations, Robert Allen Dickey.

Despite the sometimes pain of being a Mets fan, rooting for someone like you is what it's all about.
    Never too late, Brother Koobs, never too late! Testify!

vCash

Um, awards are about what you DID, not about what you MIGHT have done. Myself, hey, I coulda been a contender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue french View Post
    Congratulations to Dickey. I am a big, huge, Grand Canyon wide Kershaw fan, but that was Dickey's year. Winning 20 with the (sorry) so weak offense. 230 Ks with an 80s fastball and knuckle. What a feat! Be wise, sign him for 3 years.
    I have always loved knuckleballer. Candiotti, Wakefield, Hough, Phil Niekro. Who was the best knuckelballer ever ?
    Next year will be Kershaw again ?. Baring injuries, he will be in the top 3 anyway.
    Finally a Dodgers fan that has a good head on his shoulders. It is possible to be impartial.

vCash
    The Church of Dickey relishes this era...the era of our Lord and Savior.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    The Church of Dickey relishes this era...the era of our Lord and Savior.
    Testify brother, testify! Can I get an "amen?"

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast