Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Well deserved cap to an absolutely stunning season by R.A. His story is truly heroic (an overused term in sports) with all of the requisite twists and turns and overcoming of adversity. Couldn't happen to a more admirable guy.

Yeah, let's trade him. We're the Mets dammit. We need more underperforming *** holes.

vCash
    Wow, congratulations R.A.!
    This makes the story "The Rookie" almost pale by comparison.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    yeah dickey!!

vCash
    Knowing everything this man has gone through to get to this point should humble every person on planet earth. RA isnt just a master of his craft, he is living proof that no matter what you go through, as long as you push through and persevere you can achieve anything.

Tonight I dont just pay respect to RA Dickey the pitcher, but RA Dickey the person. He earned this award on so many levels.

One of the few nights I can remember since games 6 of the 2006 NLCS I can say that it is a great night to be a Met fan
    It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    R.A. Dickey is truly a case of someone getting EVERYTHING they deserve, We can only hope this was but a stepping stone to an even better 2013 and beyond! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! lol

Oh and just to point this out...

Last year...we sucked and had a batting Champion

This year...we sucked and have a Cy Young winner

So maybe...just maybe....

Next year...we'll suck and maybe have a triple crown winner?

Delusional...perhaps LOL

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...un-nl-cy-young
    The Baseball Writers Association of America has occasionally proven to be a coldly detached, gimlet-eyed bunch when it comes to voting certain players into the Hall of Fame. But when it came to another honorific the BBWAA hands out, it didn't allow the storybook season of Mets knuckleballer R.A. Dickey to conclude without a happy ending writ large.

Wednesday night, it was announced Dickey had been voted the winner of the 2012 National League Cy Young Award. And the best thing was, the 38-year-old Dickey -- the first knuckleballer ever to win the award -- didn't need his amazing personal backstory to lift him over the Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw.

Dickey earned it for what he did on the mound.

The Mets right-hander finished 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA and led the NL in innings pitched, shutouts and strikeouts. And the voting -- 209 points for Dickey to 96 for Kershaw, the defending Cy Young champ -- wasn't even close. Dickey captured 27 first-place votes to just two for Kershaw.

That didn't stop Dickey from suggesting that his heart was fluttering like one of his pitches when it was revealed live on the MLB Network he'd won.

"Man, I'm kind of speechless, believe it or not," Dickey said. "It's a real honor. To be mentioned in the same breath against some of the best pitchers in history, let alone this year ... For me, this is an honor to be shared. It's a great honor, and I am not a self-made man by any stretch of the imagination. There have been countless people that poured into me in a way that changed my life."

The way Dickey made that latest addendum to his story was pitch perfect. He thanked previous knuckleballers like Charlie Hough and Phil Niekro, for tutoring him, and his wife, for sticking by him.

When asked what the toughest part of being a knuckleballer is, Dickey answered, "I think it's overcoming the reputation that the pitch is so fickle. You really have to earn the trust of your manager and general manager. On the periphery, there's always the thought that this pitch can't be controlled. I just tried to be as consistent as I can."

And so ends the warmest and greatest story of the Mets' otherwise dreary 2012 season besides Johan Santana's snapshot moment of throwing the franchise's long-awaited first no-hitter.

Dickey was the best reason Mets fans had to come out to the ballpark in a year that saw Jose Reyes leave the franchise too soon and Jason Bay not leave soon enough. Dickey was the Mets' best story when they were still playing better than expected into June, and he remained their most riveting plotline when they spiraled far out of the NL East race by Labor Day.

Dickey's starts were mark-your-calendar viewing to the end. He gave Mets fans reasons to care, for a change, about who the National League's starting pitcher should be in the All-Star Game by throwing down the most dominant stretch any starter in the league mustered all year.

Beginning with an outing against the Pirates on May 22, Dickey went 7-0 in his next eight starts with a microscopic 0.86 ERA. He also became just the seventh pitcher ever -- and first since Toronto's Dave Stieb in 1988 -- to throw back-to-back one-hitters.

No one in major league history ever duplicated his tear of five straight starts with eight or more strikeouts and no earned runs allowed. So anyone who says they can find a disqualifer in Dickey's 2012 slash line is just nitpicking.

Dickey accomplished all that after releasing a best-selling book called "Wherever I Wind Up" that bracingly detailed the childhood sexual abuse and career setbacks hurled his way before he got to this point. Some of the stories he's told, like the one about getting his signing bonus revoked after the Rangers discovered, only after drafting him 18th overall, that he was born without the ulnar (or "Tommy John") ligament in his pitching elbow, or the one about how he struggled the next decade to stick in the big leagues as he bounced among four organizations, made his climb of Mount Kilimanjaro for charity last offseason look like child's play.

The funny thing is, there's nothing about the way Dickey looks -- from his professorial beard to his sleepy-eyed face, from his hiked-up uniform pants to his throwback high knee socks -- that betrays how electric he can be when he pitches.

He's the rarest of creatures: A knuckleballer that hardly walks anyone. A knuckleballer that touches 80 mph on the radar gun. And for a magical stretch from May through late June, Dickey was so dominant even longtime baseball insiders said they hadn't seen anything like it from a Mets pitcher since Doc Gooden broke in. But Gooden was a fireballer. Dickey led the NL in strikeouts (230) doing it his way.

Even people who aren't baseball fans can find some inspiration in what Dickey has done. Hopefully, winning the Cy Young Award will acquaint more people with his story.

If sports has any value at all, it's often found in what it reveals about people. It's not just the entertainment the games bring. By that standard too, it's hard to beat the perseverance and thought, dedication and love Dickey poured into chasing his baseball dream, or the leap of faith it took for him to accept Orel Hershiser's advice, when both of them were still with the Texas Rangers, that Dickey should re-invent himself as a knuckleballer.

"Well, I don't think I ever gave up hope," Dickey said. "My hopes always outweighed my doubts and that kept me going."

He also thanked his wife for "always being in my stable ... She never wanted me to have a singular regret."

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has insisted he wants to re-sign Dickey to a new contract rather than let him walk away for nothing in free agency as Reyes did right after he won the 2011 NL batting title. So, we'll see.

But if Dickey's season could warm even the hearts and minds of cranky baseball writers, the Wilpons should surely be able to find a few more dollars in the wall safe to pay the man and give him the two-year contract he's seeking.

Dickey isn't young anymore, but a knuckleballer's arm can remain almost ageless.

Even with Santana around, Dickey still became the ace of the Mets' staff and he'd be a great mentor to the young pitchers coming up in their system.

Dickey didn't need the validation that the Cy Young Award brings to prove the Mets ought to keep him around. But it's another reason.

"(This season) affected me in a supernatural way," Dickey said, using one of his trademark words, during an eloquent conference call he held with reporters, to elaborate on how his imagination and unshakeable resolve, coupled with the kindness and demonstrated belief in him from others, lifted him to an unlikely spot like this.

And there's no telling what R.A. Dickey might do next.

vCash
    R.A. Dickey ‏@RADickey43
    Just settled down here. Thank you so much everyone for your support and prayers throughout the year. This is an award to be shared.

R.A. Dickey ‏@RADickey43
    What a great night. Congrats to David price. A good friend and fantastic competitor.

R.A. Dickey ‏@RADickey43
    To mets nation: we did it!!!!! How fun to celebrate this with you guys.

https://twitter.com/RADickey43

How can anyone not be happy for this guy?
    It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    How can anyone want to trade him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    How can anyone want to trade him?
    Because this team isn't going anywhere in the near future and aside from Phil Niekro very few knuckleballers remain this dominant in their late 30s and early 40s.

The Mets need OF help and also to get younger. A Dickey trade could provide that.

Nobody wants to see Dickey go but the Mets have very few tradeable assets.

These Wilpons really aren't giving us many options due to their ******** financially either.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-14-2012 at 11:13 PM.

vCash
    Oh Bull ****! On all counts.

vCash
    Oh Bull ****! On all counts.
    It's not ******** just because you don't agree with it.

Dickey could bring back a blue chip prospect and other minor league help (in a farm system that desperately needs position players)

Are the Mets competing in 2013 and possibly 2014?

Not the way these Wilpons are spending.

Unless these Wilpons do a complete 180 in regards to financial commitment to the team, how is this team going to compete the way this roster is currently assembled?
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-14-2012 at 11:18 PM.

vCash
    More Bull ****

vCash
    More Bull ****
    Say whatever the **** you want, it's not ********.

I don't advocate dealing Dickey but until these Wilpons change their approach it doesn't really matter how many games Dickey wins.

This team blows.

vCash
    Again.

This is Dickey's night, and a night for all Met fans to be proud of.

There are enough threads going where we're debating the merits of a possible Dickey trade.

This thread isn't the appropriate spot for those thoughts. RA Dickey is a Met tonight who won the Cy Young. Can't we just enjoy that without talking about why he should be traded?

Don't we have enough misery as Met fans that we can at least savior a special moment?
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash

R.A. Dickey Wins Cy Young

Can you guys leave the trade Dickey talks out of just this one thread?

This is only the 3rd Met in history to win the award.

A sense of decorum should begin to overwhelm some of you.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast