Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Jerry, has an owner-NOT GM, is great?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think jerry, STRICTLY HAS AN OWNER, NOT GM, IS GREAT

13 100.00%
  • I think jerry, STRICTLY HAS AN OWNER, NOT GM, sucks.

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hypothetical

vCash
    I don't think you can separate owner and GM like that. If Jerry the GM makes poor decisions at times as GM (and adamantly refuses to relinquish that role) than that affects Jerry the owner because he's the owner making those decisions. Sure, as a businessman, Jerry's great at lining his pockets and really making money. But, what do fans care about most? Wins. They grew up watching the Cowboys and makes them physically feel bad whenever the Cowboys lose. I don't think the fans necessarily hate Jerry as they might just be frustrated at his stubborness on this issue. Think about it. Is Jerry doing all that he could to help the Cowboys win? No. Because there are some great GM talents we could bring in to really help build the team. And, no saying that he throws money at the problem is not a valid counterargument. He might as well have thrown money in the ocean. Jimmy Johnson was like this amazing soccer mom that maximized the dollar, knowing how to squeeze all world talent with the limited amount of dollars, players and picks. But, the flaw in Jerry's personality will not allow him to share the glory for some reason or at least bring in a good architect to help maximize what he has. We have a weird dynamic here. You have a bunch of subordinates without the executive powers answering to business guys like Jerry who are not there 24/7 handling strictly football stuff....thus, we seem to have a mixed grab bag of decisions where it looks good sometimes and sometimes not.....and it doesn't seem to come together all at the same time. Jerry, as the owner, who just gets a report from one of his subordinates, in between his marketing meetings is not the same as a hungry GM in the trenches knowing what is going on at all times and how to fix it.

vCash
    Jerry the owner has done a great deal for profit sharing and marketing in the league. He also has deep pockets which can be a good characteristic for an owner with good business smarts and a nose for the game. I don't know exactly where he fits, but he's fine as an owner.

As a GM, we probably all have a similar opinion. He's too controlling, he likes to micro manage and this team has been a joke for too many years when it comes to play-off success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    right, let me spell it out for you.

a GM should spend time building a team and making sure it is run properly to have sustained success. Personnel decisions need to done with a plan in mind. Once the plan is in place, you back off and let the coaches coach and the players play.

There is not one GM in the NFL that is on TV each week (sometimes each day). JJ's ego is so large that he HAS to be on TV getting his mug out there. He spends more time worrying about padding his ego that he forgets that GM's need to GM and let the coaches coach and players play.

I asked you if you knew of one other GM that had to be in the spotlight like him because it is pertinent to the discussion.

what would I do differently? Tell the GM to stay the hell away from the coach and let him coach. Stop getting in the middle of decisions where you don't belong...he hovers so much (literally and figuratively) that Garrett isn't given any chance to be productive. If Garrett's game planning/calls are all his decisions, then a real GM would need to fire him for the complacency that he brings - get my drift?

Our coach is not a good one, not arguable and thus:
    Coach is bad, if his decisions, GM should make a change
    Coach is bad, if GM's decision, GM should back off
    our GM is the only one in the NFL that inserts himself into every media event (most of which he creates); GM needs to back off

Before you come back with the obligatory "it isn't going to change, so why bother" routine, you asked, so I gave my opinion. How's my spelling?
    Thank you sir I'll have another!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    right, let me spell it out for you.

a GM should spend time building a team and making sure it is run properly to have sustained success. Personnel decisions need to done with a plan in mind. Once the plan is in place, you back off and let the coaches coach and the players play.

There is not one GM in the NFL that is on TV each week (sometimes each day). JJ's ego is so large that he HAS to be on TV getting his mug out there. He spends more time worrying about padding his ego that he forgets that GM's need to GM and let the coaches coach and players play.

I asked you if you knew of one other GM that had to be in the spotlight like him because it is pertinent to the discussion.

what would I do differently? Tell the GM to stay the hell away from the coach and let him coach. Stop getting in the middle of decisions where you don't belong...he hovers so much (literally and figuratively) that Garrett isn't given any chance to be productive. If Garrett's game planning/calls are all his decisions, then a real GM would need to fire him for the complacency that he brings - get my drift?

Our coach is not a good one, not arguable and thus:
    Coach is bad, if his decisions, GM should make a change
    Coach is bad, if GM's decision, GM should back off
    our GM is the only one in the NFL that inserts himself into every media event (most of which he creates); GM needs to back off

Before you come back with the obligatory "it isn't going to change, so why bother" routine, you asked, so I gave my opinion. How's my spelling?
    who are you to say what is right and wrong with how Jerry handles himelf...stop complaining already, jese, it isn't going to change, you should know that... this style won him 3 rings...not arguable... you have your opinion, that's great...but Jerry is Jerry , he does what he wants

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by americasteam88 View Post
    who are you to say what is right and wrong with how Jerry handles himelf...stop complaining already, jese, it isn't going to change, you should know that... this style won him 3 rings...not arguable... you have your opinion, that's great...but Jerry is Jerry , he does what he wants
    Jimmy's style won him 3 rings. Also, I guess you missed the last line in Fred's post...

titties

vCash
    someone said Jerry spends money like it's going out of style? Why do people treat this like it's MLB? We have a cap limit in football. Each team has the same amount to spend, so "spending money like it's going out of style" doesn't apply to "on the field" spending.

It's all about making correct decisions with the money you have.

Lastly, enough is enough. The bottom line that not one person can argue the track record. When there's so many fans who love using statistics to back up the "tony romo is a great QB" argument you have to use the same philosophy with Jerry Jones. Apply the stats to the argument.

We can talk all day about facilities, parking lots, billboards, comfy seats at the stadium, AC control cup holders, or *** scratching midgets at away games, i could seriously care less. Check the hardware case, it's empty since Johnson's creation ended. We've gone through players, coaches, stadiums, everything except a GM. His win-loss record, 0 championships, and horrible playoff success is indicative of his General Managing capabilities.

Those that coddle Jones enjoy mediocrity, while i prefer championship, mountain peak success.

"
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

vCash
    Jerry didn't know what he had. He had the golden goose in Jimmy, but just had to play with fire. We probably could have had a couple more superbowls if Jerry didn't feel the need to take all the glory. In fact, Jimmy might have been a more valuable builder of teams than being the coach and he was a hell of a coach.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123