Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Jerry, has an owner-NOT GM, is great?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think jerry, STRICTLY HAS AN OWNER, NOT GM, IS GREAT

13 100.00%
  • I think jerry, STRICTLY HAS AN OWNER, NOT GM, sucks.

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hypothetical

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by americasteam88 View Post
    I didn't vote because I think Jerry is a great owner and great gm... any top notch free agent out there, the cowboys will always be involved as a possible landing spot... we have the best stadium, he puts damn good players on the field, could do a little better with the coaching, but garrett isn't the worst coach out there, too bad we didn't have better fans but that's for another coversation..Jerry is awesome, he is own person, he loves MONEY with a passion...the cowboys have just had bad luck... people talk like its easy to win a ring... it's not easy.
    Fixed that first part for you. The Cowboys have just had bad luck? For the past 17 seasons now? Bad luck is what happened to us in the Seattle playoff game, not 17 years of mediocrity. That's due to piss poor management.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post

you have officially lost it my friend....

(who is johnson? you mean jones?)

i think someone has been daydreaming bout the good ol days...

what the hell is wrong with me...it's that age thing kicking in!!!

vCash
    Rawz I notice whenever you post you use the word "has" for the word "as" and I just had to say something lol I'm sorry not trying to look down on you just had to say something

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    what the hell is wrong with me...it's that age thing kicking in!!!
    Lol...

vCash
    Owning and managing are two very different things. Each shares it's own set of responsibilities. Sometimes and Owner can play the role of a Manager or be the manager entirely. Take a small business or example. When you start out, you don't have the finances to employ a general manager, so you the owner, must take on the responsibility of managing. As revenue and profit accumulate you now have the luxury of employing a manager to "run" the day-to-day operations of your business.

Now in the world of sports the same theory applies just on a larger scale. In Jerry's case he wants to own and manage. Now, to be a manager of any business you not only need to understand how business and free enterprise works, but you should know the specific industry as well. Imagine a construction worker buying a restaurant. It's not to say that the construction worker can't learn the food industry, but right out of the gate without proper knowledge and experience he has a higher chance to fail. In this situation Jerry understands plenty of the "business" side from promoting, negotiating, advertising, and generating a profit. He lacks the "industry" side of the equation. The reason for the success in the early 90's was because of the other JJ. He had the "industry" experience and knowledge with Jerry's wallet behind him. Unparalleled success!

I'm also going to point out that Jones did buy the Dallas Cowboys, not the Buffalo Bills. The Cowboys already had the fame instilled in the team. Jerry just enhanced the fame with steroids (not literally). I'm not discrediting his business sense because, he did make a good investment, but let's be honest here, it's not that hard to make something that's already famous even more famous. You have a great running start. It's a lot harder to take an unknown team and turn them into a success. Example: Look at Beli and Kraft, sort of the same comparison with the double J's, but Kraft held onto Beli and they parlayed that into much more success.

Now as an owner = Great (if you're only speaking about the organization/corporation of the Dallas Cowboys). He might actually be one of the best if not the best in the NFL.

Now as a manager = Horrible one of the worst (if you're speaking about the team's on the field success). Stats and opinions are included in this answer.

Now part of the responsibility of an owner is to create a winning team, so technically without the one the field success the owner is viewed as a disappointment and or failure, so one could argue whether or not Jerry is a "great" owner.
    Last edited by thedon01; 11-15-2012 at 08:32 PM.

"
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

vCash
    but, if we expand on your message, Jones has worked hard to build his franchise into something WAY more profitable...the cowboys are worth WAY more now than they were when he bought the team...in that sense, he is VERY successful...it depends on what you view as a success...making money and enhancing the brand? huge success...playing sustained winning football? not so much

vCash
    but, if we expand on your message, Jones has worked hard to build his franchise into something WAY more profitable...the cowboys are worth WAY more now than they were when he bought the team...in that sense, he is VERY successful...it depends on what you view as a success...making money and enhancing the brand? huge success...playing sustained winning football? not so much
    Hmmm that's the thing, the fans don't care about the value of the franchise, they care about the winnings and playoffs... Even the media be bashing on the cowboys about their record in the playoffs...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    Who gives a **** about some fancy stadium? All the bells and whistles in the world aren't gonna win you a championship.
    nvr said it would bro..sorry man...my goodness, didn't mean to upset you there chief

vCash
    exactly. Someone can argue both sides. I'm not discrediting Jerry's business sense at all, but I'm trying to be objective. Turning say the Bills or the Browns into a storied franchise is a lot harder than enhancing the Cowboys value when the Cowboys have already been a very famous sports franchise.

IMO i think Jerry has done very well building the Cowboys off the field, but failed to build them on the field.

"
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    Fixed that first part for you. The Cowboys have just had bad luck? For the past 17 seasons now? Bad luck is what happened to us in the Seattle playoff game, not 17 years of mediocrity. That's due to piss poor management.
    what else would you like Jerry to do?? The guy spends money like it's going out of style to try and make his team better... I wanna know what you would do to make it better? Besides hiring a gm and a different coach...a good gm and a good coach doesn't = superbowl. As far as Jerr being the gm, I believe this team is full of talent and can play with anybody, there are far worse teams in the league than the Cowboys. Jason is a young coach, I believe he is getting better. So go ahead and tell me what you would do differently.

vCash
    Ok, answer this for me...how many GM's do you constantly hear from? How many do you hear from once per month? The answer is the same, one

vCash
    Ok, answer this for me...how many GM's do you constantly hear from? How many do you hear from once per month? The answer is the same, one
    who cares, what does that have to do with anything?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post
    I know everyone here but me hates jerry. But i thought it was agreed, that jerry the owner is outstanding, maybe one of the best in sports..

is that what you guys think? that jerry the owner is top in the league,
    but jerry the gm is the worst in all of sports?

that to me, is what people are saying..

am i correct, or do most of you also think jerry, strictly has an owner, sucks has well...

( try and seperate the two, owner, gm, for this discussion only.)

just curious. thanks.

edit---

i think jerry is a great gm. but i dont want one of those "threads". I already know alot of people dont like him...

so, to clarify, if you vote great owner, that doesnt mean you do/or dont like him has a gm.
    if you vote terrible owner, that does not mean you do/dont like him has gm.

nothing to do with gm.. throw that out.

im going to vote great owner.. i still think he is great gm...

so, this thread, no barring on gm abilities. thanks.
    I like Jerry the owner. Jerry the GM could use some help. But if you look at the numbers he is a middle of the pack GM just like his team has been. Meaning he still does better then half the GM in the NFL. But that has to get better because middle of the pack got old real quick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by americasteam88 View Post
    who cares, what does that have to do with anything?
    right, let me spell it out for you.

a GM should spend time building a team and making sure it is run properly to have sustained success. Personnel decisions need to done with a plan in mind. Once the plan is in place, you back off and let the coaches coach and the players play.

There is not one GM in the NFL that is on TV each week (sometimes each day). JJ's ego is so large that he HAS to be on TV getting his mug out there. He spends more time worrying about padding his ego that he forgets that GM's need to GM and let the coaches coach and players play.

I asked you if you knew of one other GM that had to be in the spotlight like him because it is pertinent to the discussion.

what would I do differently? Tell the GM to stay the hell away from the coach and let him coach. Stop getting in the middle of decisions where you don't belong...he hovers so much (literally and figuratively) that Garrett isn't given any chance to be productive. If Garrett's game planning/calls are all his decisions, then a real GM would need to fire him for the complacency that he brings - get my drift?

Our coach is not a good one, not arguable and thus:
    Coach is bad, if his decisions, GM should make a change
    Coach is bad, if GM's decision, GM should back off
    our GM is the only one in the NFL that inserts himself into every media event (most of which he creates); GM needs to back off

Before you come back with the obligatory "it isn't going to change, so why bother" routine, you asked, so I gave my opinion. How's my spelling?

vCash
    Jj thinks he IS the Dallas cowboys.

titties

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast