Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Are the Wilpons Getting A Pass In This Whole Bad Ownership Debate?

To start, I know this might be a little Metcentric and i understand if it's moved to the Mets forum (although i would rather the thread be scrapped if it is because we have talked about it extensively there)

But what is the deal between the Wilpons and Bud Selig?

With what has happened in recent years with Frank McCourt and now Jeffrey Loria why are the Wilpons still allowed to own a big market franchise with all their financial problems?

I understand the McCourts were a different situation (siphoning money from the Dodgers to pay their own personal expenses) and that Loria is within his right to reduce payroll that drastically (although that is pathetic nonetheless after getting 2 billion dollars from the city of Miami to build a new stadium) but these Wilpons have been maybe the worst big market owners in sports and Bud has done nothing about it.

They have significant debts against the team and SNY and have shown they can't compete as big market spenders since the Madoff situation. They have also been bleeding money at the box office the last 3 seasons having lost over 150+ million dollars. They have had to take loans from MLB, Bank Of America, and now have till 2015 to pay off almost 800 million dollars in debt against the team's entities.

Is it nepotism that Bud doesn't step in and do something about it?

I know some posters on the Met's forum have argued its a philosophical change having spent money in the past and not accomplished anything.

But is it more than that?

I just don't understand how a New York team can't afford a 130-140+ million dollar payroll in a growing market of baseball organizations that can. We are in the biggest media market in the United States and somehow this team tries to justify a 90 million dollar payroll (and dropping)to their fans.

I don't get it.

The Marlins at least have the excuse that baseball isn't popular down there (their attendance being lower than the Mets in the first year of a brand new ballpark) and the Dodgers have gotten back into the spending game with new ownership.

Why does Bud allow the Mets to meander in mediocrity?

I know all teams have downswings but the Mets have gone 3 offseasons now without being a player for any significant FAs (or add significant payroll through trade) and the only reason why payroll was past 140 million dollars was because they had committed a large amount of money to a select number of FA before the Madoff scandal.

Just wondering your guys take on the Met's situation? (knowing most of you don't care )
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-15-2012 at 01:51 AM.

vCash
    I want to put this into context though.

Are the Wilpons the worst big market owners in sports?

I know the case can be made for smaller market owners that haven't done much in hopes of helping their team get to the playoffs.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.

vCash
    What exactly do you want done? You want Selig to take the team away because the Mets payroll isn't what you think it should be?

Most people agree the ownership is awful so I don't see how he gets a pass. It's brought up, everyone knows about it, but not really anything you can do but accept it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcs15 View Post
    What exactly do you want done? You want Selig to take the team away because the Mets payroll isn't what you think it should be?

Most people agree the ownership is awful so I don't see how he gets a pass. It's brought up, everyone knows about it, but not really anything you can do but accept it.
    Yeah i would like Bud to understand the gravity of the Met's (specifically the Wilpons) financial situation and not allow his buddy-buddy nature with Fred cloud his objectivity.

That's why i believe the Wilpons are still owning this team.

Because big market teams that continually slash payroll to me at least are not in the "best interest of baseball"
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-14-2012 at 05:39 PM.

vCash
    Wilpon is bad for sure

vCash
    How many big market teams would possibly let two faces of their franchise (Reyes and now possibly Wright) move on in successive years because of money?

The Mets are in that very predicament if Wright doesn't sign an extension. (and it will only be because the Wilpons won't pony up the cash)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    How many big market teams would possibly let two faces of their franchise (Reyes and now possibly Wright) move on in successive years because of money?

The Mets are in that very predicament if Wright doesn't sign an extension. (and it will only be because the Wilpons won't pony up the cash)
    Not paying Reyes was possibly smart
    #Turtlepower

Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Not paying Reyes was possibly smart
    True but its sad they didn't deal him at the trading deadline in 2011 if they weren't going to re-sign him.

The Mets knew the Marlins were going to make a splash and a push for Reyes specifically.

Of course now, the Marlins deal him after one year lol

vCash
    True but its sad they didn't deal him at the trading deadline in 2011 if they weren't going to re-sign him.

The Mets knew the Marlins were going to make a splash and a push for Reyes specifically.

Of course now, the Marlins deal him after one year lol
    So you're complaining that they didn't resign him and that they didn't deal him in the same thread?
    #Turtlepower

Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    So you're complaining that they didn't resign him and that they didn't deal him in the same thread?
    If they had no intentions of re-signing him, yeah they should have dealt Reyes.

Preferably i wanted to see him back, but i certainly didn't want just compensation picks in return for a player of his caliber.

vCash
    Didn't they lose a lot of money in the Madoff ponzi scheme? Shouldn't they get a pass for this??

Plus, I think they got burnt by bad contracts in the past and I don't see Sanderson doing the same.

ahhh... the good ole days

watch 4free here http://firstrownow.eu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AsfanSince99 View Post
    Didn't they lose a lot of money in the Madoff ponzi scheme? Shouldn't they get a pass for this??

Plus, I think they got burnt by bad contracts in the past and I don't see Sanderson doing the same.
    Yeah but the problem is if they aren't financially capable of owning a big market team how are continually allowed to do so?

Regardless of how they lost their money, they are at the helm of a major market sports franchise and might not have the money to support owning it.

As for the Madoff thing, they owe the Picard trustees 83 million dollars but its spread it over quite a number of years (that's not bad considering they were sued for over a billion dollars)
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-14-2012 at 05:56 PM.

vCash
    The Mets payroll could conceivably be in the 15 million dollar range for 2014 with one significant FA on their roster in Jon Niese.

vCash
    The Mets payroll could conceivably be in the 15 million dollar range for 2014
    But it isn't right now. You can't say "The payroll was 140 mil and this past year it was around 100 mil so Selig should step in."

They're paying a high and now mid range payroll with little ability to compete because of their own doings. They have to live with the mistakes they made with bad contracts, the bad luck of Johan's health and the fact that they pick someone decent in the 1st round every year and then close shop right after while teams grab talent well beyond the 1st round. They made their bed and now they have to lay in it.

Now if in 2014 the payroll is 15 mil then we'll talk. I hate the owners of ALL of the franchises I root for including and especially the Wilpons. But you can't expect Selig to take action because the owners of your favorite baseball team are dummies..
    Last edited by Daaaarryyl; 11-15-2012 at 01:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    But it isn't right now. You can't say "The payroll was 140 mil and this past year it was around 100 mil so Selig should step in."

They're paying a high and now mid range payroll with little ability to compete because of their own doings. They have to live with the mistakes they made with bad contracts, the bad luck of Johan's health and the fact that they pick someone decent in the 1st round every year and then close shop right after while teams grab talent well beyond the 1st round. They made their bed and now they have to lay in it.

Now if in 2014 the payroll is 15 mil then we'll talk. I hate the owners of ALL of the franchises I root for including and especially the Wilpons. But you can't expect Selig to take action because the owners of your favorite baseball team are dummies..
    I have legitimate concerns they will never be able to pay for larger market FAs again under this ownership.

Maybe they quell our concerns going forward in regards to payroll but that's going to take financial commitment. Something the Wilpons have had a hard doing the last 2 offseasons and this offseason.

Payroll that was already there in Bay, Santana, Ollie, Castillo, etc etc is there regardless of whether they spend money and i don't know indicative that is of whether or not they can spend in the future.

I know this team is in a transitional period and going through an organizational shift in how to build a sustaining successful ballclub (although that is arguable) but i hope when the time comes to spend money again they can do it.

With close to 60 million dollars coming off the books going into the 2014 season, i want to believe the Wilpons will start spending money again but who knows to be honest.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-15-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast