Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I knew about that arrest, which is why I thought it was funny Richardson said McClain was his idol. If that money is guaranteed then I definitely agree with you. Pass on him if he's owed that much money.

vCash
    I agree on that too. That's a lot of jack for a player that is a huge risk.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    I don't think McClain would work in Cleveland. He's more of a big-bodied thumper while it seems Jauron favors smaller LBs with speed. Maybe if Mangini was still the HC.I like the current group of LBs on the Browns roster. Manti Te'o is my favorite player in college football the last couple years but I don't know if the Browns need to use a 1st round pick on a LB.

D'Qwell Jackson is a perfect fit in Jauron's system and they are getting decent production out of the current group. With offenses going to more 3 and 4 wide receiver sets the linebacker position isn't as crucial as it was in the past. I would love to have Te'o on the roster to cover some of the athletic TEs that we are seeing more and more of but before that I really hope the Browns upgrade the cornerback position. After Joe Haden the group is extremely thin. My guess is that Sheldon Brown is gone at the end of the season and they will add at least a high pick or upgrade with a solid veteran.

vCash
    There was talk a few pages back about sticking with Weedena and not drafting another QB in the 1st or 2nd round of next years draft. The logic being to allow Weeden more than one year and to build a team full of talent around him. I completely agree wtih this concept and hopefully Banner sees it too.

The one thing we should all point to is the Baltimore Ravens. 9-2 with Joe Flacco, a slightly above average QB (Raven's fans and Joe himself disagree) and talent every where else. I hate to say it but Weeden reminds me of Flacco. NFL caliber arm but just too inconsitent with their throws and clutch play.

If after 2-3 years if Weeden doesn't move into the upper echelon of QB's you have a great team to support a rookie or to draw a free agent QB into.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DQ52 View Post
    There was talk a few pages back about sticking with Weedena and not drafting another QB in the 1st or 2nd round of next years draft. The logic being to allow Weeden more than one year and to build a team full of talent around him. I completely agree wtih this concept and hopefully Banner sees it too.

The one thing we should all point to is the Baltimore Ravens. 9-2 with Joe Flacco, a slightly above average QB (Raven's fans and Joe himself disagree) and talent every where else. I hate to say it but Weeden reminds me of Flacco. NFL caliber arm but just too inconsitent with their throws and clutch play.

If after 2-3 years if Weeden doesn't move into the upper echelon of QB's you have a great team to support a rookie or to draw a free agent QB into.
    It helps too that this years draft class is considerably weak at the QB position. The only way I see Weeden not being the starter next year is if the Browns get some crazy notion in there head and think they are ready to win right now and go get a veteran that has been cut. Don't even want to think about it but Mike Vick comes to mind with the Philly connection. Hopefully he ends up somewhere like KC or Arizona though as I would never want him here.

Weeden in 2013 and then if they do want a QB this year in the draft then look in the 4th or 5th round for a possible developmental one due to Weedens age.

TIME TO GET ANOTHER ONE. #DALLAS2DALLAS #BALLISLIFE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonevision View Post
    I don't think McClain would work in Cleveland. He's more of a big-bodied thumper while it seems Jauron favors smaller LBs with speed. Maybe if Mangini was still the HC.I like the current group of LBs on the Browns roster. Manti Te'o is my favorite player in college football the last couple years but I don't know if the Browns need to use a 1st round pick on a LB.

D'Qwell Jackson is a perfect fit in Jauron's system and they are getting decent production out of the current group. With offenses going to more 3 and 4 wide receiver sets the linebacker position isn't as crucial as it was in the past. I would love to have Te'o on the roster to cover some of the athletic TEs that we are seeing more and more of but before that I really hope the Browns upgrade the cornerback position. After Joe Haden the group is extremely thin. My guess is that Sheldon Brown is gone at the end of the season and they will add at least a high pick or upgrade with a solid veteran.
    Who is to say that Jauron's system is still going to be here though next year. I just hope they don't go to the 3-4 no matter who is brought in if it is a change. I like Jackson a lot but I think he could easily move to SLB in the 4-3 if they did stay in that base and draft Teo. Even though I think Oakland is making it pretty obvious right now that he will be there target come April with the recent cuts of Curry and McClain.

I do agree about the Secondary though but would rather want to see the FO throw some money at someone to come in and start immediately for this team next year instead of having to slow pace him into the starting CB position next year like most starting CB's have to do. Even Claiborne is getting torched this year at times. Unless they want to play Patterson on the outside next year since they did give him close to starters money and have Skrine play the nickel until a rookie is adjusted to the game but that is all what ifs.

Either way there is going to be some stud defenders at the beginning of the draft next year so no matter what I think they need to take the BPA as they have holes in many areas still on the defense and think they need to focus on that side. Would love any of Werner (Not for the FSU ties but because he reminds me of JJ Watt and love his nickname "The Germanator") Teo, Jarvis Jones, and Dee Miliner.

vCash
    Teams attack the defenses now-a-days by looking for the obvious mismatch. Against the Browns this season it has been the 2nd, 3rd and 4th corner. We've seen the run defense improve significantly but the DBs have been getting scorched by some of the elite QBs they have faced. Sheldon Brown, Buster Skrine and Trevin Wade have each been picked on at times. The Browns could certainly look to add a veteran presence to replace Sheldon Brown and a young guy to grow into a starting position in the future.

vCash
    Hearing Cleveland Browns more and more as a destination where coaching and gm candidates are most interested in. #GrudenWatch?
    Yes and they have a decent core of talent RT @BlatantHomerism: @LanceZierlein why? new ownership?
    Lance Zierlein

vCash
    What are numbers without context? That was the driving force behind our signature stats section and it’s why I’m able to write about things like the Pass Blocking Efficiency.

It’s a simple enough concept. If you judge an offensive linemen just by how many times they get beaten for a sack, then you’re really not judging them at all. You need to take into account how much total pressure they give up, how many snaps they’re in pass protection for, and how quickly the pressure comes.

Now this stat doesn’t take into account how quickly the pressure comes (that’s what our grading is for), but it does the other things so I can, without any doubt, say that this stat beats all the others when it comes to measuring the performance of offensive linemen in pass protection.

The formula is simple enough. You add all sacks with three quarters the worth of hits and hurries, divide by snaps in pass protection, take away from 100 and just like that you’ve got an efficiency formula.

Let’s see who the best and worst are.

No Ordinary Joe

It’s easy to forget with Joe Thomas playing for a perennially losing team like the Cleveland Browns, but he’s a lockdown left tackle. He’s given up just two sacks, two hits and eight hurries, averaging out to just one quarterback disruption per game. It helps he’s had four games where he hasn’t given up a single pressure and only four where he’s given up more than one. You can question how much a left tackle should earn, but you can’t question that right now none deserves to be paid more than Thomas.
    https://www.profootballfocus.c...ing-efficiency/

vCash
    I love how much potential we have in the trenches. Solid young talent on both sides of the ball.

vCash
    I really like how Greco has stepped up this season too.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    I love how much potential we have in the trenches. Solid young talent on both sides of the ball.
    I'm a little worried about Shawn and if it Pinkstons injury is as bad as a lot make it out to be then I think it would be wise to bring in another starting guard next year in place of Shawn. If Pinkston can come back healthy then I would just rotate him in at RG and let Lauvuo be the depth Guard. Besides that really encouraged by Schwartz as I have not heard a peep out of him all year since the preseason and that is ultimately what you want in you O-Lineman. I think he really has been the best Rookie this year so far over everyone. The guy will be a building block for years and if Pinkston can't come back next year I would love to see them make a run at his brother Geoff for the other Guard position.

Thomas and Mack just keep on doing what they do.

vCash
    I've put together a short list of cornerbacks the Browns could likely target in the off-season. All of them meet Tom Heckert's criteria of being 27 or younger and although they won't all hit the open market, there is potential for each of them to:

Leodis McKelvin (27) - playing in the slot for the Bills once they drafted Gilmore. Showed flashes on the outside in the past but has also been torched at times. A game-changing kick returner.

Tracy Porter (26) - If he can get his illness situation under control he is a tough corner to beat. Showed it in the past with the Saints and early this season with the Broncos before going down with seizure symptoms.

Antoine Cason (26) - Playing at at consistent level for one of the better defenses in the league he could be looking to leave San Diego when the bomb goes off in the Chargers organization once the season is over.

Darius Butler (26) - Showed promise at times in New England and then was dumped when they overhauled their secondary. Making good on his second chance with the Colts. Could be playing himself into a big pay-day.

Mike Jenkins (27) - Once a promising cornerback under Wade Phillips, he's now an afterthought for the most part. Could rejuvenate his career with a change of scenery.

Sean Smith (25) - His consistent play made Vontae Davis expendable for the Dolphins. A likely franchise tag candidate, he could start a bidding war if he becomes available.

Dominique Rogers-Cromartie (26) - DRC is actually playing decent in Philly during this dreadful run for the 'dream team'. Could be available if there is a shake-up with the Eagles.

Chris Owens (25) - Playing all over the field in Mike Nolan's defense in Atlanta. Very underrated and plays bigger than his small stature. Likely to be available with big money elsewhere on the roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonevision View Post
    I've put together a short list of cornerbacks the Browns could likely target in the off-season. All of them meet Tom Heckert's criteria of being 27 or younger and although they won't all hit the open market, there is potential for each of them to:

Leodis McKelvin (27) - playing in the slot for the Bills once they drafted Gilmore. Showed flashes on the outside in the past but has also been torched at times. A game-changing kick returner.

Tracy Porter (26) - If he can get his illness situation under control he is a tough corner to beat. Showed it in the past with the Saints and early this season with the Broncos before going down with seizure symptoms.

Antoine Cason (26) - Playing at at consistent level for one of the better defenses in the league he could be looking to leave San Diego when the bomb goes off in the Chargers organization once the season is over.

Darius Butler (26) - Showed promise at times in New England and then was dumped when they overhauled their secondary. Making good on his second chance with the Colts. Could be playing himself into a big pay-day.

Mike Jenkins (27) - Once a promising cornerback under Wade Phillips, he's now an afterthought for the most part. Could rejuvenate his career with a change of scenery.

Sean Smith (25) - His consistent play made Vontae Davis expendable for the Dolphins. A likely franchise tag candidate, he could start a bidding war if he becomes available.

Dominique Rogers-Cromartie (26) - DRC is actually playing decent in Philly during this dreadful run for the 'dream team'. Could be available if there is a shake-up with the Eagles.

Chris Owens (25) - Playing all over the field in Mike Nolan's defense in Atlanta. Very underrated and plays bigger than his small stature. Likely to be available with big money elsewhere on the roster.
    I have mentioned for weeks my man crush on DRC and me wanting him as the key offseason addition to this team. Last year it was Brandon Carr I badly wanted and this year it just happens to be another corner. Open up the pocket book as they have enough cap and will need to replace Brown which IMO they should with another young veteran. I really like Skrine in the Nickel as he battles but on the outside he is just a liablility just like Patterson but both in the middle in the Nickel with Haden and DRC that you could leave on islands together would be huge. Then look at some sort of pass rusher in the draft and this D could get nasty if they stay healthy.

Also no one really mentioned it yet but last weeks game was exactly what I expect out of TJ Ward week in and week out. Last week was the first time that I saw him constantly around the ball and making big hits and not just doing it one time a game but multiple times. A lot had to do with the defense allowing him to roam more as they did not respect Batch throwing on them and that is why I think a good FS center field type player is also needed allowing Ward to continue to do things like this inside the box and 10 yards from the LOS instead of 15-20 yards worrying about the passing game.

vCash
    How much more aggressive in free agency do you guys expect us to be with Haslam in control? Obviously it's a tough thing to estimate now, just curious about how you guys view it.

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast