Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Cleveland Browns @ Jacksonville Jaguars Week 7

BEREA, Ohio – For all the positive vibes coming out of Cleveland, cautious optimists are bracing for the next challenges hurtled the Browns’ way.

These are the Browns. And this is Cleveland. The fans have good reason for a fatalistic attitude toward most Browns teams because of their past, even if Week 7's opponent is winless Jacksonville.

First, the good news: There’s a lot to like about this Browns team. Stout running game. Impressive offensive line. A quarterback who thrives in play-action and has one interception in 149 attempts. A defense that’s finally shrugging off a sluggish start. A locker room that offensive guard John Greco says has “just a feel, maybe a different level of confidence” than last year’s team, which started 3-2 before losing 10 of the last 11.

Now, the challenge: Jacksonville has 19 sacks this season and often gets to the quarterback by rushing four, meaning eight defenders will be waiting patiently in that box for Ben Tate, Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West on running plays.

If the Jaguars can thwart the run and stave off play-action, Brian Hoyer must get it done from the pocket with his receivers.

Tight end Jordan Cameron and receivers Miles Austin and Andrew Hawkins must win on third down. That simple.

Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan seems to be ready for anything.

“No matter what you do good, eventually a team will stop that,” Shanahan said. “There’s no doubt about that, and you’ve got to be able to counteract that. Once you can do that, then you can come back to what you want to do.”

Based on last week’s 38 runs to 17 passes, clearly what the Browns want is to hand it off early and often.

Losing center Alex Mack to a leg injury is a “huge blow,” Shanahan said, which leaves Greco – who filled in for Mack admirably last week against Pittsburgh – directing the running game and getting everybody lined up properly. Paul McQuistan likely steps in at guard for Greco.

Here’s why Ben Tate is so crucial for the offense: In the two games he missed, Browns averaged 3.4 yards per carry (102 yards on 30 attempts per game). In three games with Tate, those averages spike to 5.0 yards per carry (175 yards on 35 carries). Tate left one of those games early, but still had 41 yards on six carries in Week 1.

If Tate can set the tone again, the Browns can soften up the Jaguars’ defense with Crowell, Cameron and others.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

BEREA, Ohio -- Is one game enough to say the Cleveland Browns defense has turned the corner?

Probably not. Eleven games remain in the season.

But the defense did show encouraging signs in the victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, as two linemen who were inactive the week before performed well (Ishmaa'ily Kitchen and John Hughes) and the defense held the Steelers to 10 points, seven on a late touchdown, when the game was well decided.

Defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil said the last six quarters have been very important for his group. They show the Browns have given up 440 yards (81 in the second half against Tennessee) and 10 points.

Project those numbers to a full season and the Browns would be giving up 293 yards and seven points per game. Detroit leads the league in total defense and points at 280 yards and 13.7 points per game.

That means the Browns have defended very well the last game-and-a-half. There's an argument that Titans quarterback Charlie Whitehurst’s presence helped against Tennessee, but one would counter that Ben Roethlisberger is as good as there is. The numbers simply matter.

Tennessee had six possessions, Pittsburgh 10. The Browns held the opposing offense to 20 yards or less 10 times, 10 or less seven times and to negative yards three times.

“Those six quarters,” defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil said, “have been big for us.”

It also fits the patterns for Mike Pettine and O'Neil-led defenses, that things click after a few games. That’s what happened in New York with the Jets and in Buffalo, and it’s what the coaches hope happens in Cleveland.

Where can the Browns improve defensively?

Take the numbers as a five-game aggregate and it’s evident the biggest growth could come on first down. Through five games, opponents are averaging 6.2 yards per carry and 9.2 per pass attempt on first down. The total average: 8.4 yards per play. That clearly has put the defense in tough situations.

The league average is 6.5 yards per play on first down, 7.1 yards per attempt and 4.2 yards per carry on first down. The Browns are worse than the league average in all three categories, and improving on first down will help them improve on second and third downs because it will make the defensive pass-rush groupings more effective.
    The Cleveland Browns are on a bit of a roll. So are the Jacksonville Jaguars, only it’s in the opposite direction.

The Browns (3-2) have won back-to-back games in dramatic fashion, first rallying from a 25-point deficit to beat Tennessee on the road and thumping the Pittsburgh Steelers by 21 points last Sunday in Cleveland. Now they’re being talked about as legitimate contenders for a playoff spot in the AFC.

The Jaguars (0-6) haven’t won a game since Dec. 5, 2013, and they’re being talked about as the favorite for the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2015.

The teams meet Sunday at EverBank Field; Browns reporter Pat McManamon and Jaguars reporter Michael DiRocco break down the matchup.

DiRocco: Pat, I think everyone outside the Cleveland organization expected Johnny Manziel to be the Browns’ starting quarterback by this point in the season. Brian Hoyer has done a good job, though, and it’s clearly his team now. But what about beyond this season? Is Manziel the franchise quarterback or is it Hoyer?

The Jaguars have lost 18 games in a row in September and October, tied with the Houston Oilers for the second-longest losing streak in NFL history. Cincinnati holds the record with 20 from 1992-94.

McManamon: If Hoyer keeps playing the way he has, it would be folly if the Browns did not re-sign him in the offseason. That puts Manziel in the spot of perhaps having to enter the 2015 training camp as the backup, and perhaps be the backup for the foreseeable future. Eleven games remain and a lot can happen yet, but to this point Hoyer is earning the right to be considered the long-term answer. He gets rid of the ball quickly. He does not throw interceptions. His even-keeled approach makes him a good leader. And the team respects him. Because Hoyer can be a free agent after the season, and because negotiations went nowhere in the offseason and Hoyer chose to bet on himself, this will be a closely watched story as the season progresses. But if Hoyer maintains his level of play, it would be impossible for the Browns to let the local product go.

This is rookie-quarterback weekend, Mike, and since everyone asks me about Manziel, I'll ask you about Blake Bortles. How has he played, what impresses you most and how far does he have to go?

DiRocco: Since being inserted into the lineup in the second half of the Week 3 loss to Indianapolis, Bortles has played pretty well and leads NFL rookies in passing yards per game (251), completion percentage (67.8) and completions of 20-plus yards (11). He has shown that he has a good feel in the pocket and is able to evade the rush and get outside when he needs to. When he does that, he’s keeping his eyes downfield, too, which is rare for a rookie quarterback that can run. Usually, they just take off. Plus, the coaching staff can’t stop raving about his poise and how unshakable he is. The thing that has impressed me the most has been his work on third down. The Jaguars were 6-for-32 on third down under Chad Henne but are 23-for-46 on third down under Bortles, and he leads the NFL in completion percentage on third down (71.0). Bortles is far from perfect. He still makes bad decisions, stares down receivers and throws some bad passes, but he already looks like the best quarterback the team has had since Mark Brunell in the late 1990s.

Losing Alex Mack was obviously a huge blow. We know what kind of effect that will have on the field, but how do you think it will impact the team in the locker room, considering he was one of the team’s leaders, especially this week?

McManamon: The respect that Mack has in the locker room and around the league was evident the day he was injured, so it matters that he’s not around. But Mack was never a vocal yeller or screamer. His leadership came from his consistency and his dependability. Losing his voice in the locker room matters, but as one scout told me during the week, that sometimes is overstated. The Browns have guys such as Joe Thomas and Hoyer and even John Greco who can step in. The team’s bigger issue is filling the void left on the field.

It's been a long time since there was a game in which the Browns looked like a favorite. But when a 3-2 team faces an 0-6 team, that's the appearance. What's the Jaguars' attitude toward this game, and is there any advantage to them playing at home?

DiRocco: The Jaguars are as optimistic as they have been all season because they’ve been close the past two weeks against Pittsburgh and Tennessee. It was late mistakes that cost them in each game, and the players know they could have won both games had they played marginally better. A lot of the players on this team were on last year’s team that beat the Browns in Cleveland on a late touchdown pass, and this year’s Browns are without Mack and receiver Josh Gordon. I don’t see the Jaguars having any kind of advantage playing at EverBank Field. The weather has cooled a bit so the heat won’t be a factor for the Browns.

The Cleveland defense is among the NFL’s worst when it comes to total yards and rushing yards, but it has been among the league’s best in the red zone. Why are Browns so good inside the 20 but struggling everywhere else?

McManamon: Good question, and I’m not sure I or the team can answer. Perhaps there’s a greater sense of urgency, perhaps the field shrinks for the opposition and perhaps it’s that the coaches call better plays. But it is hugely important, because coach Mike Pettine believes the most important statistic for a defense after wins is points allowed. The defense swung the momentum in the win over Pittsburgh by twice holding the Steelers to field goal attempts after two good drives. Pittsburgh made the first kick, but a botched hold on the second changed the feel of the game, and the Browns took advantage. Whatever the reason for the red zone success, the Browns just hope it continues.

How close do you think the Jaguars are to winning consistently?

DiRocco: Now that they appear to have found their quarterback, that timetable is accelerated a bit, but the Jaguars are still two years away from being a team that can compete for a playoff spot. While Bortles might be able to make up for some deficiencies in the roster, the Jaguars are still the least talented team in the league. After addressing the offense heavily in the draft this offseason, I expect them to attack the defense next offseason. If they draft well, add some key free agents and Bortles continues to develop, then this could be a six- or seven-win team in 2014 and challenge Indianapolis in the division in 2016.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

With Jacksonville's run defense, might need the pass to setup the run instead of the other way around this game. If the Browns really have turned this around then it should be a big win instead of a letdown after a big Pitt win like they usually do. Hoyer seems steady enough though to keep this thing going and Shanahan seems efficient enough in his play calling not to get away from it. Defense should get some confidence, especially secondary, from dealing with Bortles a rookie QB this game and a lack of a running game. Interested to see how O'Neil rotates LB'ers again as I was surprised that Eric Martin was getting as much run as he did last week.

27-10 Brownies and move to 4-2.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    INJURIES FOR WEEK 7

Tashaun Gipson S -- Limited Participation in Practice --
    Joe Thomas T -- Full Participation in Practice --
    Ben Tate RB -- Full Participation in Practice --
    Paul Kruger LB -- Limited Participation in Practice --
    Phillip Taylor DE -- Out (Definitely Will Not Play) --
    K'Waun Williams CB -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
    Barkevious Mingo LB -- Full Participation in Practice --
    Ahtyba Rubin DT -- Limited Participation in Practice --
    Rodney Smith WR -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
    Desmond Bryant DE -- Full Participation in Practice --
    Billy Winn DE -- Did Not Participate In Practice --
    Alex Mack C -- Out (Definitely Will Not Play) --
    Week 7 Thursday Injury report. Hoping K'Waun can go but might not be a bad idea to get Gilbert in these next 3 games to build some confidence hopefully for 2nd Half.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    This is the type of game that would conclude with us thinking, "Same old typical Browns...". However, I believe this team has a different feel than others. With that being said, I think they want to prove that this team is the real deal. I see the defense having the same intensity and the run game to have continued success. I actually see a very similar outcome to last game, minus the garbage time TD.

Browns - 31
    Jaguars - 6

vCash
    I think the Browns run away with this and it is another team win where all phases play well. I am worried about going on the road. The BRowns don't show up until the second half of games on the road (PIT and TEN). Hopefully they are able to put together another full game.

vCash

Cleveland Browns @ Jacksonville Jaguars Week 7

Jags are going to play us tough. They're a team playing at home that's hungry for their first win. Even though we seem improved I'm willing to bet they're looking at us as a team they can beat. With that said I expect us to take care of business and pull away in the 2nd half.

Browns: 24
    Jaguars: 13

vCash
    if the brownies continue to run the rock well and play as good on the defensive side as they did last week...

cleveland 31
    jax 10

vCash
    This is embarrassing. Giving Jacksonville their first win. Hoyer playing like Weeden and awful coaching decisions. 3-3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruzor12 View Post
    This is the type of game that would conclude with us thinking, "Same old typical Browns...". However, I believe this team has a different feel than others. With that being said, I think they want to prove that this team is the real deal. I see the defense having the same intensity and the run game to have continued success. I actually see a very similar outcome to last game, minus the garbage time TD.

Browns - 31
    Jaguars - 6

Good prediction

Big Ben?Naw much better

The Future Of Jacksonville

vCash
    welp,i feel like a deflated balloon right now....honestly havent seen such an ugly game by the brownies in quite awhile...but on a positive note 5-3 is still a possibility....sucks to see a meeeechigan alum (denard robinson)crush cleveland though

vCash
    A poor game.. brings the Browns down to 3-3.. it's not the end of the season.. but..it surely let Mike Pettine know about maturity and focus.. (in the reverse order)..

Gipson.. had a spectacular game.. couldn't expect much more out of him..

Kirksey.. is better now that he was at the start of his NFL career.. and keeps getting better.. You have to really like the way he pursues, covers and tackles.. great pick by the Browns..

McQuistan/Grecco.. clueless.. their idea of pass blocking is stand up and get in the way of the oncoming D-Lineman.. They're going to need to file a police report describing the Mack truck that ran over them all day long in Jax...Terrible play..The Browns need to DO SOMETHING with this.. or it's going to become a VERY LONG SEASON in a short amount of time..

Pettine... Decisions NOT to put points on the board.. almost ALWAYS hurts.. the fourth down stand as halftime approached.. was inexcusable.. HE won't make that MISTAKE again..

Onto the Raiders.. btw.. how's that bunting and new escalator working?.. Everyone says the scoreboards are the great.. <shrugs>

vCash
    My return is Nigh!