Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: On the FAN590

vCash
    Like Bonifacio sucks monkey balls if you ask me. Good speed for late innings but i would look to trade davis in this case cus he prolly has more value cause he is a better hitter and keep bonifacio because he can play IF/OF

vCash
    Alex Anthopoulos appeared on WEEI Sports Radio out of Boston today. Talking on the trade, Cabrera, Gibbons, etc....

- Wanted Johnson, tried two occassions before to acquire him Marlins not motivated to move him. At the GM meetings approached Larry Beinfest on Wednesday, who set up a meeting, he asked for top prospects. AA wanted Reyes and Buerhle to give up top prospects. Deal held up for two days until AA got salary okay thru Beeston.

- Reyes player he's wanted for awhile. Exciting player, makes things happen, which rubs off teammates. Not worried about his contract as only major contract Jays have. Bonifacio AA wanted also as he is high energy player who can play so many positions.

- Some internal dissent on the trade, some of AA's people told him not to do the trade. Hard for them to give up so many young players.

- Competitive advantage in keeping talks quiet. Had it happen to him before where teams jump in, outbid him, doesn’t allow him to do his work. Wanted to move quickly. Knew Larry was kind of GM to move quick, doesn't shop his players trying to get more. Took six days from first contact to get trade done.

- Baustita expressed concern on direction of team at time of signing his contract. Because previous two years in row Jays had traded opening day starter for prospects. AA assured Jose when time was right Blue Jays will be going for it. Wanted to make big move now as Bautista and Encarnacion both 30 and 31, didn't want to waste this opportunity with two 40 home run guys in lineup. Compared his two sluggers to Ramirez and Ortiz of a few years back.

- AA wanted two years on Cabrera. Free-agent market at end of ’13, is weak for corner outfielders. Wanted Melky because makes contact, doesn't strikeout. Jays last year too prone to strikeouts facing top of rotation starters. Which hurt team as can't manufacture runs when can't put ball in play. Cabrera is upgrade to what they had in lf, can play all three OF positions, allows more options and depth in case of injuries.

vCash
    So, turns out Adam Lind is both awful AND stupid:

For example, asked whether the presence of a Mark Buehrle will help the club, Lind noted that it would help Ricky Romero in particular.

“I think there’s a bunch of guys in our clubhouse that’ll benefit from that,” he explained. “You put yourself in the situation of our clubhouse last year and Ricky was considered the veteran leader even though he had four years of service time and really, in the grand scheme of things, that’s not a veteran at all. And that’s part of going the young route and we’ve changed that and it’ll probably take some pressure off Ricky, it’ll take some pressure off me.”
    “That’ll benefit guys that were kind of thrust into the leadership role before we were ready,” he explained, oddly skimming past his weird definition of a veteran, which apparently doesn’t include Adam parts-of-seven-seasons-in-the-bigs Lind. “Ricky, great guy, great competitor but we all know Ricky — he doesn’t have that leadership-type personality, so-to-speak, in his DNA. It’ll let him relax and be himself and observe Mark Buehrle.”
    I think John will be fine as a manager. I think that we will need a better staff than we had his first go-around. I think Brad Arnsberg did a great job as a pitching coach, but I think as a whole, all five, six, seven guys on a our staff… we’ll need a better staff than we had last time.
    On Farrell...

“When you have a pitcher trying to tell people when to run I think some of the times we were just running with our heads cut off and not really in the right situations. I think (Gibbons) understands the timing and the situations when you should and shouldn’t run versus just running recklessly. I think it’ll be good to have more of a purpose in that part of our game.”
    “The second half of last season I really changed my approach. I stopped trying to do too much in the second half of the season, especially against left-handed pitchers. I’d like to see the splits from the first half to the second half. They might not be tremendously greater but I bet they’re better than they were even the year before. That was the biggest thing; I quit trying to do too much. I started to look off-speed much more and I think I quit being so proud and stubborn. I was like, ‘look, you’re going to hit the slider, that’s just the way it’s going to be.’ I accepted that and I think my numbers improved.’ “

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan View Post
    So, turns out Adam Lind is both awful AND stupid:

On Farrell...
    Ricky not a leader? that shocks me a lot to be honest

vCash
    You should look at his splits though, besides april and may the lowest average he had in a month is .277. Not that i love the guy or anything, Id be happy with an upgrade. But, the last 5 months of the season he has some really nice stats. The power has to come into play more though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    Ricky not a leader? that shocks me a lot to be honest
    Regardless of whether he is or isn't, you don't criticize a teammate like that

vCash
    Who the hell ever asked Lind to be a leader? All that was asked of him was to not ****ing suck, and he failed miserably at that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Who the hell ever asked Lind to be a leader? All that was asked of him was to not ****ing suck, and he failed miserably at that.
    Didn't you know, Adam Lind and Ricky Romero were 2012 clubhouse leaders?

Because Adam Lind said so.

vCash
    He wasn't criticizing Ricky. He was simply stating that having Buehrle around is beneficial in other ways other than what he brings to the mound, which is a great thing. What Lind said is fine, it doesn't need to be picked apart and over analyzed. BTW, hes going to have a good year if he stays at DH and in the 5 hole.

vCash
    I feel bad about booing a guy like Vernon, who despite being ridiculously overpaid and having some terrible seasons was by all accounts an awesome dude who worked his *** off all the time. Contrast that with Lind, a guy who's a terrible ballplayer, who's overpaid (obviously not to the same degree, but still), who talks too much, and who admittedly didn't work hard enough off the field. That's the kind of player that really deserves the fans' scorn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a_roid_3333 View Post
    He wasn't criticizing Ricky. He was simply stating that having Buehrle around is beneficial in other ways other than what he brings to the mound, which is a great thing. What Lind said is fine, it doesn't need to be picked apart and over analyzed. BTW, hes going to have a good year if he stays at DH and in the 5 hole.
    Ricky, great guy, great competitor but we all know Ricky — he doesn’t have that leadership-type personality, so-to-speak, in his DNA
    He basically said Ricky is not a leader and never will be.

That is not a good thing to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan View Post
    He basically said Ricky is not a leader and never will be.

That is not a good thing to say.
    No, he said what he said- "Ricky, great guy, great competitor but we all know Ricky — he doesn’t have that leadership-type personality, so-to-speak, in his DNA"

He didn't "basically say" anything. He said what he said. He complimented Romero in the first 2 lines, anyone talking about that? The last line is referring to how Romero is as a person- big deal, not everyone is wired to be a natural leader. He has his strengths, and we need him to play to his strengths, which is being a great competitor, great teammate, great pitcher, and great person. If being a natural leader is not one of them, so be it. No need to make a mountain out of a mole hill, or look for hidden meanings/he basically said this or that- it is what it is- not a big deal.

vCash
    OK. If it is what it is, then take out the basically and my statement still stands. He said Ricky doesn't have that leadership personality, it's not in his DNA. If he doesn't have that leadership personality, he's not a leader now, if it's not in his DNA, he never will be.

This is talking about a guy who was excited to be a clubhouse leader last year. My statement stands. You don't say that about a teammate.

vCash
    I think Ricky consciously tried to take that role on the last two years, to have your teammate go on the radio and basically say he sucked at it just isn't cool. Hell what he's saying may well be accurate, that doesn't mean he should have mentioned anyone by name. We might be making a bigger deal of this than it is, but when you suck and a huge segment of the fanbase would be happy to see you shipped out for nothing in return, you should probably watch your words a bit closer.

vCash
    Lind is no position at all to criticize anyone
    Sens Raps Jays

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast