Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On the FAN590

vCash
    http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=409495

According to the top video on the right, it doesnt sound like JJ is in any hurry to sign an extension. His agent says that he's only a year away from FA, and if he has a good year then he could sign one of the biggest contracts ever for a pitcher.

We'll see how it plays out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post

According to the top video on the right, it doesnt sound like JJ is in any hurry to sign an extension. His agent says that he's only a year away from FA, and if he has a good year then he could sign one of the biggest contracts ever for a pitcher.

Agent speak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post

For sure, same goes for AA. He will take the same approach that he did with EE last year. We need to see how healthy JJ is, how he fits in, does he want to play here and whatnot. There's lots of time for an extension. If everything starts out ok for him, AA would start to discuss extension sometime in June or so. Be crazy to lock him up now IMO, as it will be an expensive contract, so you need to be sure what you are getting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    why in the world would trading JJ to the yanks be an option??? jesus christ
    This has nothing to do with what you just said but, you know, might want to change that sig now.

I think AA and Rogers has earned at least a year to not have us Blue Jay fans *****ing about payroll and how cheap they are (true or not).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Johnson > Darvish.
    Really? JJ is that good? Is JJ on level terms with 2nd tier A- aces like Weaver, Cain, Hamels, Cueto, Morrow, Gio Gonzalez, Cahill, Sale

Not on par with halladay, sabathia, price, felix, verlander, kershaw, grienke, dickey (?) but good enough to warrant something north of 6 / 96m contract (heavy canadian tax factored in)
    Last edited by superfio; 11-16-2012 at 12:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by superfio View Post
    Really? JJ is that good? Is JJ on level terms with 2nd tier A- aces like Weaver, Cain, Hamels, Cueto, Morrow, Gio Gonzalez, Cahill, Sale

Not on par with halladay, sabathia, price, felix, verlander, kershaw, grienke, dickey (?) but good enough to warrant something north of 6 / 96m contract (heavy canadian tax factored in)
    Ignoring you put cahill in the same breath as guys like cain and weaver, jj is absolutely on par assuming hes healthy. He was up and down last year because he was coming off major surgery but he was a top 10 starter prior to that. I bet hes in for a huge year, I'd get him locked up now.... Definitely a guy to build your rotation around again, assuming hes healthy.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash

when Johnson is healthy he is pretty nasty...but he has only averaged a strikeout per inning once...and that's in the NL where he gets to face starting pitchers.

The problem with him is that he is never healthy for a full season. He has never won more then 15 games, and he has only made 30+ starts twice in the last 7 years. Personally I think his agent is out of his mind if he thinks he will sign one of the biggest long term contracts ever.... He is a good #2 or a solid #3, but not an ace.

Right now (assuming Ricky is healthy and can command his fastball again), I would have the top 4 in our rotation as:

Morrow
    Romero
    Johnson
    Buehrle

vCash
    Hes most certainly a top of the rotation starter if hes healthy... Saying hes a number 3 guy is crazy talk.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Actually it feels like AJ Burnett gamble all over again

If healthy and focused... burnett was lights out n perfect understudy to anchor halladay

But Burnett had injury problems (TJ surgery again) or anxiety issues (probably facing too much pressure, one being moron gm riccardi who blamed heavily. Actually I give credit to Cito Gaston which Burnett thanked before bolting to yankees, then sucked again, ha!)

So JJ may go in any direction. He can domimate, crack under pressure, or injured and forgotten like santana

by the way, AA has had his fair share of missed talent judgments of hill + jj / lind / napoli + frank francisco / cordero so he may or may not get it right in identifying future talent (although proven genius with bautisa. & ee signings / v.wells dumping / brett wallace + gose trading / prospect drafting of many blue chip studs etc...
    Last edited by superfio; 11-16-2012 at 12:59 PM.

vCash
    There seems to be some confusion on who we are getting in this trade.

Josh Johnson career
    Year 1 he went 7-1 with a k/9 around 8 and an ERA around 3.60 (FIP 3.37/xFIP 3.51 for the saber folks)
    Year 2 15-5 - same k/9, ERA 3.23 (FIP 3.06 and 3.36 respectively)
    Year 3 11-6 with a k/9 over 9 , ERA 2.30 (FIP 2.41 and 3.02 respectively)
    Year 4 3-1 with an era at 1.64 (FIP 2.64 and 3.32 respectively) - then got injured - missed the rest of the year.
    Last year - first year back from injury he was 8-14 with an ERA around 3.81 (FIP 3.40 and 3.73 respectively).

I think people are focusing on his one year back from injury and not looking at his career stats.... which are very impressive overall. BTW I only included wins because I felt people were looking at his w/l this year, wins are a horrible stat to judge a pitcher, which Im sure most people here know.

Oh and he's career walk rate is somewhere around 2.50 for his career.... so he k's a lot of guys, walks very few and has a ground ball rate hovering around 50%. Someone please, show me how this resembles AJ Burnett in the least?

Could JJ be bad/not worth the money/have a ****** year in Toronto? Absolutely.... but let's not pretend JJ is some scrub that we are usually trying to throw into the starting rotation. If he didn't get injured we wouldn't even be talking about this because the Marlins likely lock him up long term instead.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash

On their level lmao?? More like are they on his level when he's healthy and on.
    People are forgetting this guy used to be a top 3 if not defintiely top 5 pitcher. He was better than some of those guys like Verlander, Grienke, Kershaw, Price and arguable with CC.

I can't believe how much people are underrating this guy because of one injury the Marlins didn't take care of properly.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    On their level lmao?? More like are they on his level when he's healthy and on.
    People are forgetting this guy used to be a top 3 if not defintiely top 5 pitcher. He was better than some of those guys like Verlander, Grienke, Kershaw, Price and arguable with CC.

I can't believe how much people are underrating this guy because of one injury the Marlins didn't take care of properly.
    He also got off to a very slow start (ERA around 5.00 after 2 months) Nothing to worry about there, it takes time for a pitcher to figure it out again after such a long layoff.

vCash
    When they see how dominant he can be after having a full year under his belt last year everyone will definitely change their mind and want him locked up come May i bet you.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Johnson > Darvish.
    Dude seriously, get off the Johnson Kool-Aid. He WAS a #1 when healthy in 2009-2010. But with 2 surgeries already he's a decent injury risk, and it looks like his velocity is gonna be down as well, which is huge for a power pitcher. He's a good #2 at this point in his career because of durability concerns. Your #1 has to be durable, otherwise he's not a #1. The #1s in the league right now are Price, Verlander, Hernandez, Lee, Hamels, Weaver, Greinke, Cain, Bumgarner, Sabathia, Strasburg, Wainwright, Kershaw, and potentially Darvish (if he keeps up his play). I'd also put Gio Gonzalez, Gallardo, Shields, Sale, Dickey, Halladay, Lincecum, Latos and Cueto ahead of Johnson as 1As.

Don't overrate Johnson.
    Last edited by jaysfan4ever; 11-16-2012 at 03:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysfan4ever View Post
    Dude seriously, get off the Johnson Kool-Aid. He WAS a #1 when healthy in 2009-2010. But with 2 surgeries already he's a decent injury risk, and it looks like his velocity is gonna be down as well, which is huge for a power pitcher. He's a good #2 at this point in his career because of durability concerns. Your #1 has to be durable, otherwise he's not a #1. The #1s in the league right now are Price, Verlander, Hernandez, Lee, Hamels, Weaver, Greinke, Cain, Bumgarner, Sabathia, Strasburg, Wainwright, Kershaw, and potentially Darvish (if he keeps up his play). I'd also put Gio Gonzalez, Gallardo, Shields, Sale, Dickey, Halladay, Lincecum, Latos and Cueto ahead of Johnson as 1As.

Don't overrate Johnson.
    Source?

And Rangers arent giving up Darvish anyways, so why you even bothering with this debate?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast