Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: On the FAN590

vCash
    yeah not sure how bob elliot got into the freakin hall of fame.

vCash
    Maybe Buerhle and Rasmus for top line starter? I got a feeling maybe best if we move Buehrle.

vCash
    I've never liked Buehrle (I like my pitchers to throw hard). I respect what he's done throughout his career, but I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable with him on the mound. I'm all for shipping his and his man killer dogs out, along with something else, to get a younger, harder throwing, #3 type starter in return.

Of course you'd like another ace but I'm trying to be somewhat realistic.

vCash
    Alex Anthopoulos on the FAN590's PrimeTime tonight....a few of his comments:

- At GM's meetings inquired originally about Johnson. Asked about JJ last summer but price was to high. Johnson was guy AA wanted. AA had the payroll for Johnson, never had it for Reyes and MB. Made a few phone calls to Beeston to get payroll for rest of this deal. Would extend JJ if he has a good year. The money is there to extend him.

- Marlins wanted top young players for JJ, AA wanted Buerhle and Reyes if he had to give up top young players.

- Marlins didn't want to give up Bonifacio, he had to ask several times to include him. AA would have walked away from deal without Bonifacio included.

- Trade almost fell apart last day over inclusion of Buck and Mathis. AA wanted to keep Mathis, Miami resolved it by including extra 4 million over this issue.

- The money that changed hands was above the reported $8 million.

- AA said he likes "energy players", impacts the rest of team. Mentioned Bonifacio, Reyes, Bautista, and get this..JPA. I can't see JPA going anywhere anytime soon after AA said this.

- On Cabrera, AA says he believes on giving people a second chance. Looked at past players who took PEDs, their numbers kept up after returning. Good contact hitter, can run, above average lf, energy player. AA wanted two years because next year weak free agent crop on corner outfielders.

- Gibbons didn't even enter his mind until very late in the process. Called him up for bench coach role. Talking with Gibbons, manager idea came to him. Thought he did great job before, deserves to manage again. Handles bullpen good, over 600 games experience in AL East.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GNick View Post
    Gibbons didn't even enter his mind until very late in the process. Called him up for bench coach role. Talking with Gibbons, manager idea came to him. Thought he did great job before, deserves to manage again. Handles bullpen good, over 600 games experience in AL East.
    Haha, maybe 2009mvp's post changed AA's mind

vCash
    Given that 8M+ figure, seems like AA has a bit of room to be able to add another piece and still be able to stay in that 120M range. If you're able to move Buck and/or Lind that's even more money to play with. Either way, seems pretty clear that AA ain't done.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash

- Marlins didn't want to give up Bonifacio, he had to ask several times to include him. AA would have walked away from deal without Bonifacio included.

- Trade almost fell apart last day over inclusion of Buck and Mathis. AA wanted to keep Mathis, Miami resolved it by including extra 4 million over this issue.
    Good lord AA...seriously?
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Given that 8M+ figure, seems like AA has a bit of room to be able to add another piece and still be able to stay in that 120M range. If you're able to move Buck and/or Lind that's even more money to play with. Either way, seems pretty clear that AA ain't done.
    I take it the 8 million went to Cabrera

vCash

- At GM's meetings inquired originally about Johnson. Asked about JJ last summer but price was to high. Johnson was guy AA wanted. AA had the payroll for Johnson, never had it for Reyes and MB. Made a few phone calls to Beeston to get payroll for rest of this deal. Would extend JJ if he has a good year. The money is there to extend him.
    That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

vCash
    JJ in a contract year could be both good and bad for us. Good since he'll probably put up some big numbers and bad because he will probably price himself out of the Jays price range. How does the new comp picks work if he was to sign elsewhere?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    JJ in a contract year could be both good and bad for us. Good since he'll probably put up some big numbers and bad because he will probably price himself out of the Jays price range. How does the new comp picks work if he was to sign elsewhere?
    I think we would get the 1st round pick of whomever signs him (provided the team that signs him isn't drafting in the top 10, in which case we'd get their second rounder) but I may be wrong.

vCash

- Marlins wanted top young players for JJ, AA wanted Buerhle and Reyes if he had to give up top young players.

- The money that changed hands was above the reported $8 million.

- AA said he likes "energy players", impacts the rest of team. Mentioned Bonifacio, Reyes, Bautista, and get this..JPA. I can't see JPA going anywhere anytime soon after AA said this.

- On Cabrera, AA says he believes on giving people a second chance. Looked at past players who took PEDs, their numbers kept up after returning. Good contact hitter, can run, above average lf, energy player. AA wanted two years because next year weak free agent crop on corner outfielders.

- Gibbons didn't even enter his mind until very late in the process. Called him up for bench coach role. Talking with Gibbons, manager idea came to him. Thought he did great job before, deserves to manage again. Handles bullpen good, over 600 games experience in AL East.
    One almost throw-away comment that you missed here but I thought was interesting - when AA was asked about Bonifacio originally (I think it was Brunt who asked) the actual question was "Bonifacio is an interesting guy, where do you see him fitting in?"

AA said "Bonifacio is capable of playing in several positions" but he didn't say "Bonifacio will be the starting 2B". Does this mean that maybe AA is looking at Bonifacio in CF? Maybe he's looking for another 2B?
    2012-2013 Offseason Shopping List

1. Starting Pitcher - Josh Johnson
    2. Second Baseman - Maicer Izturis
    3. Left Fielder - Melky Cabrera
    4. Starting Pitcher - Mark Buehrle
    5. Designated Hitter
    6. Backup Infielder - Emilio Bonifacio
    7. Replace Alvarez - R.A. Dickey (!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    I know - it's easy being a GM right?

Gibbons reaction to the Adam Lind trade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    AA said Mathis benefits team in ways doesn't show up on stat sheet. He didn't really want to move him. This and way he talked sounded like he never had the payroll room for Buck. He said it held up deal for 6 hours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILDD View Post
    One almost throw-away comment that you missed here but I thought was interesting - when AA was asked about Bonifacio originally (I think it was Brunt who asked) the actual question was "Bonifacio is an interesting guy, where do you see him fitting in?"

AA said "Bonifacio is capable of playing in several positions" but he didn't say "Bonifacio will be the starting 2B". Does this mean that maybe AA is looking at Bonifacio in CF? Maybe he's looking for another 2B?
    Not sure, I was multi-tasking while listening to interview.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast