Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On the FAN590

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    It's been a year. Get over the girl being with the guy driving the BMW. Darvish didn't work out...**** him and that whole situation.

JJ is more than an adequate replacement.
    Wow...what's with all this anti Darvish emotion? I don't think you guys are over the disappointment at all. I enjoyed watching him pitch until i left town early July. He's damn good and likely to get better after his adjustment to MLB. I think it's a mute point anyways as i doubt Texas gives him up.

JJ for one year? or maybe longer for $100+ mm? And JJ's stats don't exactly scream ace!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysforever View Post
    Wow...what's with all this anti Darvish emotion? I don't think you guys are over the disappointment at all. I enjoyed watching him pitch until i left town early July. He's damn good and likely to get better after his adjustment to MLB. I think it's a mute point anyways as i doubt Texas gives him up.

JJ for one year? or maybe longer for $100+ mm? And JJ's stats don't exactly scream ace!
    JJ is not a prototypical ace (think Kershaw, Felix, Verlander, etc) but he's an easy top of the rotation guy. Aces are extremely hard to get and come by. But you don't really need an ace to win but you do need a rotation that is very good and can keep you in the game night after night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fatkev78 View Post
    This quote wasn't mentioned though, which sounds much more encouraging than the above:
    After the deals that Bautista, EE, and Morrow signed I have confidence that we can get a fair deal on Johnson if we want to.

vCash
    I like the idea of taking a run at it now. This is JJ's unrestricted contract year. He will be very motivated. If we can get a lefthanded power bat we can compete with anybody right now. I know there is a risk that JJ will explore free agency after this season and I would be very surprised if he doesn't see what the market has to offer. We will still receive a compenatory pick if we qualify him and he walks. I just want to see this team make a serious run and I think Johnson can be a very important part of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dtmagnet View Post
    After the deals that Bautista, EE, and Morrow signed I have confidence that we can get a fair deal on Johnson if we want to.
    The difference to me is the timing of the contracts.

Bautista and EE were not superstars before their contracts. Bautista had one great year under his belt and more or less the same for EE. Morrow...same thing...he didnt have an allstar year before contract was signed.

JJ has a history of being great. There are much less question marks with his future success so that will demand more money.

vCash
    Lind and JJ both in contract years hopefully they both have great seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ah nuts View Post
    i didn't like hearing this, but he is correct, AA usually don't think short terms of one year. he is more of a big picture guy.

however, this is a different case with weak yank and boston teams and he does get a type A draft pick which are becoming harder to obtain.

it will be interesting
    What I am watching for is to see if Anthopoulos comes on the FAN for an interview? When something happens he is always on next day or two. Promoting it and explaining. FAN will he ringing his phone off the hook trying to get him on while this is fresh. If he doesn't show probably because there is something brewing and he don't want to risk a slip-up. Anthopoulos does have a phobia about leaks.

vCash
    darvish for jj any day of the week. did you guys watch darvish play? or look at his stats?

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysforever View Post

I'm not emotional about Darvish at all. The Eff him was meant more of a let's just f'n move on already. It didn't work out. Tired of people dwelling on it. JJ is a great get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    darvish for jj any day of the week. did you guys watch darvish play? or look at his stats?
    Promise me you'll never be the GM of a team I cheer for.

vCash
    I think a fair contract for JJ is similar to the one Peavy just signed ~$14.5M per year. This is a guy that spent all his life in the NL and has only thrown 200+IP once .

He also wasnt nearly as dominant on the road, so he'll definitely be tested in the hitter friendly AL East. I would hope AA can convince him to sign a deal that isnt ridiculous because he has an extensive injury history.

4yr/$58M+ a CO seems fair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post
    I think a fair contract for JJ is similar to the one Peavy just signed ~$14.5M per year. This is a guy that spent all his life in the NL and has only thrown 200+IP once .

He also wasnt nearly as dominant on the road, so he'll definitely be tested in the hitter friendly AL East. I would hope AA can convince him to sign a deal that isnt ridiculous because he has an extensive injury history.

4yr/$58M+ a CO seems fair.
    Peavy only got $14.5 a year because his back is tied together by some stitches and titanium anchors from a "first-of-its-kind" surgery. JJ will get at least 17M a year. I'm thinking 4 years 76M is fair. Or 5 years 85M if he really wants that 5th year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    So let me get this straight... after one year of Darvish, you're absolutely convinced JJ is a lesser talent? Are you kidding me? JJ is downright unhittable when he's healthy and on his game. I'd take JJ over Darvish any day of the year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysfan4ever View Post
    Peavy only got $14.5 a year because his back is tied together by some stitches and titanium anchors from a "first-of-its-kind" surgery. JJ will get at least 17M a year. I'm thinking 4 years 76M is fair. Or 5 years 85M if he really wants that 5th year.
    4/76 seems too steep for me for a guy that has had issues with his shoulder and back, along with TJ surgery.

If he was durable then it would be different , but remember AA structures contracts with the idea that the player will miss at least 20% due to injury. JJ has shown to be more injury prone, so paying him $19M/yr when we most likely arent gonna get 30 starts from him consistently is too much imo.

I could see AA doing maybe a 4 yr deal + CO where the buyout in the 5th year is like $8M or something. Guarantees more money to him over the 4 years if the option isnt picked up.

vCash
    why in the world would trading JJ to the yanks be an option??? jesus christ
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast