Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    It happened on July 22, 1986, with the Mets playing the Reds in Cincinnati. In the bottom of the 10th, Davey Johnson brought in Orosco to pitch. After getting two outs and giving up a single to Pete Rose (which pinch-runner Eric Davis turned into a triple with two stolen bases), Orosco was shuttled to right while Roger McDowell finished off the inning. In the 11th, McDowell was again pitching and Orosco was still in right. Two outs and single into the 11th, McDowell and Orosco switched places again. Orosco finished off the 11th and pitched the full 12th (McDowell actually moved from right- to left- during the 12th). In the 13th, McDowell and Orosco switched places again, and it stayed that way through the 14th, when the game ended. Orosco even made a putout on a flyball by Tony Perez.
    Love it!

vCash
    We should have CC play center, that would be a sight.

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    We should have CC play center, that would be a sight.
    Technically, if CC was in the OF, he would be at all three positions.

Swidt?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Anyone know if this is allowed:

Lets say Rick Ankiel ( just to use a name) was playing CF for the Yanks. Lets say Hughes was pitching and a tough lefty came up.

Could they pitch Ankiel and put Hughes in the field for that batter, then swap em back after the batter?

And if so, could They do it again the next inning or once used, they are out?

My thought being.......imagine you had an Ankiel type lefty that could get out lefties and also play the field. You could use him several times a game without wrecking your bullpen.

Anyone? Beuller?
    Yes, you could and I have seen it done at the MLB level quite a few times.. BUT!!!!

In the case of an American League club, you lose the DH doing it. Once Hughes takes a non-pitching position, he has to assume a spot in the batting order, and because he has been in the game, it has to be for the DH because the new pitcher would take the spot of the exiting fielder. (NOTE: This applies to the MLB level. I know at the HS level, the DH can hit for any position player as well as the Pitcher... not sure at NCAA)

Every time I have seen it, it was in the NL (Whitey Herzog used to do this all the time with the Cards in the 80's)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    Yes, you could and I have seen it done at the MLB level quite a few times.. BUT!!!!

In the case of an American League club, you lose the DH doing it. Once Hughes takes a non-pitching position, he has to assume a spot in the batting order, and because he has been in the game, it has to be for the DH because the new pitcher would take the spot of the exiting fielder. (NOTE: This applies to the MLB level. I know at the HS level, the DH can hit for any position player as well as the Pitcher... not sure at NCAA)

Every time I have seen it, it was in the NL (Whitey Herzog used to do this all the time with the Cards in the 80's)
    Ahaaaaa. Nice find. Nobody mentioned that. Makes sense.

vCash
    Well CC can hit.

He can hit better then A-rod.

Oh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    Well CC can hit.

He can hit better then A-rod.

Oh.
    And he can eat the fk out of a pile of Doritos locos tacos!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post

Good catch. Rule 6.10:

Once the game pitcher is switched from the mound to a defensive position this move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for the remainder of the game.
    Tell me how this works.

Let's say Ichiro is batting 1st and playing RF and Ibanez is the DH and he's batting 6th. Robertson is pitching.

Robertson moves to RF and Logan comes in to pitch to one batter: Robertson presumably goes into Ichiro's spot in the batting order (1st) since he's replaced him in the field. We lose the DH, so Logan presumably goes into Ibanez's spot (6th).

In the same inning, Robertson moves back to P and Dickerson goes into RF: Now what happens? Does Dickerson bat 1st or 6th?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Good catch. Rule 6.10:

Tell me how this works.

Let's say Ichiro is batting 1st and playing RF and Ibanez is the DH and he's batting 6th. Robertson is pitching.

Robertson moves to RF and Logan comes in to pitch to one batter: Robertson presumably goes into Ichiro's spot in the batting order (1st) since he's replaced him in the field. We lose the DH, so Logan presumably goes into Ibanez's spot (6th).

In the same inning, Robertson moves back to P and Dickerson goes into RF: Now what happens? Does Dickerson bat 1st or 6th?
    I would say 6th since the DH has already been bounced. Dickerson is replacing Logan as a new player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    And he can eat the fk out of a pile of Doritos locos tacos!
    I think he's on a diet, so it has to be a stack of tacos!!!

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Good catch. Rule 6.10:

Tell me how this works.

Ummm, no. Since Robertson is the pitcher of record at the time before the change, he has to take the place of Ibanez (DH) in the batting order. So Robertson becomes your #6 hitter. Logan then comes into the game to replace Ichiro, and assumes the #1 spot. So when Dickerson comes in to replace Logan, he is the new #1. The only exception on this would be if Ibanez took to the OF at the same time, then whoever left the game due to that would be who Robertson would bat for... Complicated mess.

It is also the reason that you have not, and probably won't see AL managers use this tactic. It is pretty straight forward in the NL where the pitcher was in the batting order to start with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12