Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

MLB Rule Question

Anyone know if this is allowed:

Lets say Rick Ankiel ( just to use a name) was playing CF for the Yanks. Lets say Hughes was pitching and a tough lefty came up.

Could they pitch Ankiel and put Hughes in the field for that batter, then swap em back after the batter?

And if so, could They do it again the next inning or once used, they are out?

My thought being.......imagine you had an Ankiel type lefty that could get out lefties and also play the field. You could use him several times a game without wrecking your bullpen.

Anyone? Beuller?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Anyone know if this is allowed:

Lets say Rick Ankiel ( just to use a name) was playing CF for the Yanks. Lets say Hughes was pitching and a tough lefty came up.

Could they pitch Ankiel and put Hughes in the field for that batter, then swap em back after the batter?

And if so, could They do it again the next inning or once used, they are out?

My thought being.......imagine you had an Ankiel type lefty that could get out lefties and also play the field. You could use him several times a game without wrecking your bullpen.

Anyone? Beuller?
    can't imagine why it wouldn't be allowed only problem is ankiel wouldn't be given time to throw warm up pitches
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTK9lvkCQg

My tribute to edwin Encarrrrnacioooooon...... Been an amazing fantasy replacement whle arod was hurt

vCash
    i dont think you can do that
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    You can put the pitcher in the field, then bring him back in to pitch, but you can only do this ONCE per inning.

Rule 3.03

A player, or players, may be substituted during a game at any time the ball is dead. A substitute player shall bat in the replaced player’s position in the team’s batting order. A player once removed from a game shall not re-enter that game. If a player who has been substituted for attempts to re-enter, or re-enters, the game in any capacity, the umpire-in chief shall direct the player’s manager to remove such player from the game immediately upon noticing the player’s presence or upon being informed of the player’s improper presence by another umpire or by either manager. If such direction to remove the substituted-for player occurs before play commences with the substituted-for player improperly in the game, then the substitute player may enter the game. If such direction to remove the substituted-for player occurs after play has commenced with the substituted-for player in the game, then the substitute player shall be deemed to have been removed from the game (in addition to the removal of the substituted-for player) and shall not enter the game. If a substitute enters the game in place of a player-manager, the manager may thereafter go to the coaching lines at his discretion. When two or more substitute players of the defensive team enter the game at the same time, the manager shall, immediately before they take their positions as fielders, designate to the umpire-in-chief such players’ positions in the team’s batting order and the umpire-in-chief shall so notify the official scorer. If this information is not immediately given to the umpire-in-chief, he shall have authority to designate the substitutes’ places in the batting order.

Rule 3.03 Comment: A pitcher may change to another position only once during the same inning; e.g. the pitcher will not be allowed to assume a position other than a pitcher more than once in the same inning.

vCash
    Slick found it! Nice.

Also, interesting comment on the warm ups.

Imagine how valuable this type of player could be?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Slick found it! Nice.

Also, interesting comment on the warm ups.

Imagine how valuable this type of player could be?
    i'm excited to see an ambidextrous pitcher i think that would be even crazier but i like the thought, ankiel power bet could be great off the bench and in late inning situations.

My tribute to edwin Encarrrrnacioooooon...... Been an amazing fantasy replacement whle arod was hurt

vCash
    but with his control coming out of the pen with out warming up could be a disaster

vCash
    It would revolutionize the game if someone could pull it off.

Imagine having Chapman in RF the last three innings popping in to face a few lefties?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    It would revolutionize the game if someone could pull it off.

Imagine having Chapman in RF the last three innings popping in to face a few lefties?
    Yeah but health wise in the long term i'm not sure thats the smartest thing. Pitchers are fragile little vaginas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage101 View Post
    Yeah but health wise in the long term i'm not sure thats the smartest thing. Pitchers are fragile little vaginas.
    Yeah, they need to suck it up.

Wahhhhh....I need to rest 4 full days!

Kuroda pitched a gem on 3 days.

So overrated of a stat. It's a mental change that needs to be made.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Yeah, they need to suck it up.

Wahhhhh....I need to rest 4 full days!

Kuroda pitched a gem on 3 days.

So overrated of a stat. It's a mental change that needs to be made.
    I think for the playoffs it would be crazy i could def see something ilke that. But for the regular season i can see girardi saying some BS to cater to the feminization of the pitcher.

vCash
    They've done studies showing that pitchers usually pitch much better on three days rest than they do on five, but asking them to go every three days would absolutely destroy their arm, hence why most teams do that during the playoffs or sometimes down the stretch.
    O-H-I-O!

Welcome home, Urban

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    You can put the pitcher in the field, then bring him back in to pitch, but you can only do this ONCE per inning.
    It happened on July 22, 1986, with the Mets playing the Reds in Cincinnati. In the bottom of the 10th, Davey Johnson brought in Orosco to pitch. After getting two outs and giving up a single to Pete Rose (which pinch-runner Eric Davis turned into a triple with two stolen bases), Orosco was shuttled to right while Roger McDowell finished off the inning. In the 11th, McDowell was again pitching and Orosco was still in right. Two outs and single into the 11th, McDowell and Orosco switched places again. Orosco finished off the 11th and pitched the full 12th (McDowell actually moved from right- to left- during the 12th). In the 13th, McDowell and Orosco switched places again, and it stayed that way through the 14th, when the game ended. Orosco even made a putout on a flyball by Tony Perez.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage101 View Post
    i'm excited to see an ambidextrous pitcher i think that would be even crazier but i like the thought, ankiel power bet could be great off the bench and in late inning situations.
    Obviously both would be insanely beneficial to a team if the player is actually producing. Like we know Ankiel can hit some and field. And perhaps he can still pitch. Now would Hughes be capable of holding down RF for an AB?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Obviously both would be insanely beneficial to a team if the player is actually producing. Like we know Ankiel can hit some and field. And perhaps he can still pitch. Now would Hughes be capable of holding down RF for an AB?
    i would think for one AB yeah why not but is it worth it to risk defense in RF for a a better pitching match up? not even joes binder can calculate that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast