Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Are the Red Sox the worst team in the AL East???

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

88 88.00%
  • No

12 12.00%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by JobaRules26 View Post
    The Jays pretty much gutted their farm for 3 question marks. Ballsy move but it may not work out.

1.JJ is injury prone, never pitched in the AL, especially the AL East
    2. Reyes injury prone as well, tends to be a head case, possibly his best years are behind him.
    3. Buehrle, solid pitcher, AL tested, not AL East tested.

It's a gamble. I wouldnt be shocked if it blows up in the Jays face or if they do succeed. Time will tell.
    Gutted their farm? Maybe you should do some research before shooting off about something you obviously know nothing about

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Powers View Post
    Gutted their farm? Maybe you should do some research before shooting off about something you know nothing about
    I have, and I'm not blown away at all. Dont start with the homerish tomfoolery. Your farm, now, is nothing to write home about.

vCash
    For years I've been hearing how awesome the Jays farm system is on here. Who exactly have they produced in the last 10 years? This is main reason I cannot stand Jays fans.

vCash
    I have, and I'm not blown away at all. Dont start with the homerish tomfoolery. Your farm, now, is nothing to write home about.
    How is giving up two top ten and a fringe top ten prospect gutting the farm?

vCash
    For years I've been hearing how awesome the Jays farm system is on here. Who exactly have they produced in the last 10 years? This is main reason I cannot stand Jays fans.
    Coming from a Yankee fan, whose fan base preached to the world that Joba and Hughes were the second coming, amongst many others, is pretty hilarious. Easily the most overrated farm in baseball, year in year out.

vCash
    Yeah I'm not going to put much stock into the Jays, not until they actually do something.

BTW, I figured the Leprechauns would ride the unicorns?
    They did do something.

The Jays pretty much gutted their farm for 3 question marks. Ballsy move but it may not work out.

2. Reyes injury prone as well, tends to be a head case, possibly his best years are behind him.

It's a gamble. I wouldnt be shocked if it blows up in the Jays face or if they do succeed. Time will tell.
    Gutted the farm? LOL it's also cute how you downplay the guys we picked up without mentioning with flip side being a possible Cy Young pitcher,a batting champ and an innings eater who's proven he can pitch in the AL. Ridiculous on your part and extremely weak.

Really? do some research bud. Who cares if we drafted an MVP caliber player like Bautista? Encarnacion? Lawrie?Morrow?D'arnaud? Isn't the point to acquire talent? as a Yankees fan you should know this. This is the team who drafted and developed Halladay,Carpenter,Escobar,Wells...oh why bother continuing with this ignorance.

vCash
    How is giving up two top ten and a fringe top ten prospect gutting the farm?
    Nono you're wrong here. We had a top 5 farm according to EVERYONE and now it's gutted. We know nothing about our own farm clearly a Yankees fan has no bias here and knows more about our prospects then we do. We gave up D'arnaud,Gose,Syndegaard,Sanchez,Ozuna in the trade yesterday. Oh wait...

vCash

The part I've bolded is incredibly untrue.

The 3 players in this trade which is disappointing to see leaving the Blue Jays organization is Adeiny Hechavarria, Jake Marisnick and Justin Nicolino.

Hechavarria had a 40-game stint in the majors at the end of last year and was really fun to watch. He was spectacular in the field, but his bat came along slowly. By the end of the season, his offense was heating up and I was really looking forward to seeing him next year. Getting Jose Reyes to play shortstop is still a big upgrade though, not with the glove but at least with the bat and speed on the bases.

Jake Marisnick was probably the best prospect given up by the Jays, but Anthony Gose was comparable (perhaps better) and further along in his development. The Jays also used some very high draft picks to select and sign some more high potential outfielders. It's still a loss to see him go, but it's not crippling by any means.

Justin Nicolino was one of the 3 prized pitching prospects in Lansing (A-ball) for the Blue Jays, but the least valuable of the 3.

As for Yunel Escobar, Henderson Alvarez, Anthony DeSclafani and Jeff Mathis... none of these losses are particularly damaging. Alvarez is very young and has potential, but is often criticized for having only 2 pitches and not being able to strike people out (although he has a high ground ball rate).

Overall, I can't see how you can legitimately say the Blue Jays farm system has been gutted considering the young talent that remains. Brett Lawrie, Drew Hutchison, Noah Syndergaard, Aaron Sanchez, Travis D'Arnaud and Anthony Gose are all more prized assets than anyone given up in this trade with the exception of Jake Marisnick being right in the middle of that pack.

The only legitimate concern I've heard anyone make about this trade is that the Blue Jays used up their "financial flexibility" to make this trade happen, and bring in players who do each have an asterisk next to their name.

That being said, Anthopoulos is unwilling to deal via free agency, so significant players could only be attained through trade and I don't know that they could acquire so much veteran talent for so few prospects from any other team. By that standard alone, it's hard to see this as anything but a huge win on paper.

vCash
    I have no bias. Lord forbid someone isnt drooling over your farm system. Again, what has it done for the Jays the last 10 years? NOTHING. Is the Jays farm system better than the Yankees? Absolutely. Im not saying it isnt. Lets see how this trade works out and see where the Jays are in August/September. Until then, they are an irrelevant team.

vCash
    I have no bias. Lord forbid someone isnt drooling over your farm system. Again, what has it done for the Jays the last 10 years? NOTHING. Is the Jays farm system better than the Yankees? Absolutely. Im not saying it isnt. Lets see how this trade works out and see where the Jays are in August/September. Until then, they are an irrelevant team.
    You still haven't explained how we gutted the farm?

vCash
    You still haven't explained how we gutted the farm?
    As in major league ready talent, from what I have seen and from what I've heard from other jays fans. Im not saying in general but this trade may have put the farm system back atleast a few years.

vCash
    I'm not sure who you were responding to, but I didn't accuse you of any bias. If anything, ignorance would be the correct description. The Jays did not gut their farm system, as you claimed.

As for their farm system, Anthopoulos has been the GM of the team for 3 years. He inherited one of the worst farm systems in baseball. In that time, he's drafted and acquired many prospects. Few of them have made the majors yet. Brett Lawrie, Kyle Drabek and Henderson Alvarez would be the only ones with significant time at the majors so far. Many more are still developing. It's a "time will tell" situation with how good his prospects turn out to be.

vCash
    I just think it was a dumb trade. Giving up young, cheap big time talent for two injury prone players, one thats owed 96m and Mark Buehrle.

vCash
    I just think it was a dumb trade. Giving up young, cheap big time talent for two injury prone players, one thats owed 96m and Mark Buehrle.
    You're entitled to that opinion, and it's a defensible one. However, the assertion that they 'gutted their system' is just not actually true at all. They dipped into it, sure, but it still has a high amount of talent remaining including almost all of their best prospects.

vCash
    Just seems a bit like a panic move. Just my humble opinion. AA obviously is a smarter guy than I am so we'll see how it plays out. Enjoy!
    Last edited by JobaRules26; 11-14-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast