Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Scott Baker signs with Cubs

No idea how no one has made a thread about this yet.

But it's a good low risk deal for the Cubs, and the right kind of move for them.

He could be their number 2 starter this season.

vCash
    As a cubs fan I like it. Decent pitcher on a 1 year deal. Not too many negatives other then comming off surgery.

vCash
    Meh, incredibly boring/mediocre but necessary. I expect a BOR starter who maybe sees a boost pitching to pitchers rather than DHs and hopefully gets overrated by outsiders because of it. He's been plenty good before in a nice big pitcher's park.

vCash
    Baker has a serious chance to be a 4 WAR pitcher. He could be a great move for the Cubs, and if nothing else, only cost you a little bit of money.

vCash
    He's been a 4 WAR pitcher twice, and only in one of the WARs. It is a good buy low move, but plenty of questions go into him - durability, velocity, flyball tendencies in an OF currently without a starting caliber CFer, and he's coming off surgery.

I expect there will be moves to knock him down into the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation to open the season.

vCash
    Love it.

FIRE ME!

I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    He's been a 4 WAR pitcher twice, and only in one of the WARs. It is a good buy low move, but plenty of questions go into him - durability, velocity, flyball tendencies in an OF currently without a starting caliber CFer, and he's coming off surgery.

I expect there will be moves to knock him down into the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation to open the season.
    Those are the type of moves made for 1yr/5.5 million dollars plus incentives in regards to SP.

Either way, it's a good deal for the Cubs even if he was a 3 WAR pitcher this year.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-13-2012 at 06:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Baker has a serious chance to be a 4 WAR pitcher. He could be a great move for the Cubs, and if nothing else, only cost you a little bit of money.
    Not to mention if he excels by mid season the Cubs could gain some prospects off of him...

vCash
    Huge improvement over the most recent Baker that was employed by the Cubs.

vCash
    5.5 mil with 1.5 in options along with him not having pitched in over a year isn't exactly a low risk deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giants73756 View Post
    Well done.

vCash
    WAR of 2.6 or higher every season from 2007-2011, and a couple seasons at 3.5 before Tommy John surgery last year. Love this move.

vCash
    Man the Twins need pitching big time now. Too bad they dont have many attractive offensive players to trade for either however
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    No idea how no one has made a thread about this yet.

But it's a good low risk deal for the Cubs, and the right kind of move for them.

He could be their number 2 starter this season.
    It was in the minor signings thread. Never been a big fan of Baker's and for good reason, he's a backend starter. Does nothing great but does keep you in ballgames. He pounds the strike zone so he doesn't walk a lot of guys but does give up hits and HRs. Pitching most of his games in Wrigley exacerbate those numbers. He's never been durable either. #2 starter is quite the reach especially coming of TJ surgery.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

Some do not understand the ignore list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12:24310338
    Quote Originally Posted by giants73756 View Post
    Well done.
    For the record, I was trying to take a jab at Dusty but for a minute I had forgotten about Jeff Baker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast