42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Si

2 4.76%
  • No

40 95.24%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I found it funny that people saying no because of back loaded deals are the same ones advocating the cubs sign free agents. Although there are a few who do not sign back loaded deals, most teams sign backloaded deals

I don't think anyone advocating for FAs has said anything about backloaded deals being a problem here?
    I'm too lazy I look it up. Did Miami give out particularly heinous backloaded contracts? Now that I think of it, I seem to remember being taken aback by the structure when they signed Reyes.

vCash
    doesnt reyes fit that impact player mode? he will be 34 at end of his deal

vCash
    so many young gms on cubs forums these days... everyones a genius tell me your plan oh mighty sabermetrics using anonymous one.
    maybe if some of you lost ur sh"ty egos i wouldnt have to sift through 10+ pages of crap arguements just to finally see a post that actually is relevent to thread.

btw only cub fans would write 10 pages on weather or not they would accept a trade that another team did that doesnt even involve their team.
    SIGN BIG NAMES
    NO
    TRADE FOR YOUNG TALENT
    NO
    shut up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    I'm too lazy I look it up. Did Miami give out particularly heinous backloaded contracts? Now that I think of it, I seem to remember being taken aback by the structure when they signed Reyes.
    If I was a team in need of a SS and looking to win while he's alive, Reyes at 5/92 is a pretty damn good. 5/96 if they buyout the option year.

He makes 10/16/22/22/22 in the final years of the deal...So most likely an outright steal in the first two years and then a pretty fair deal in the last three, especially given that he was a steal for their first two years barring catastrophe.

vCash
    I kinda like the whole tear it all completely down if you are gonna rebuild mindset. And I think for the most part we tried to sell off everyone we can. I mean the Marlins did get some really good prospects for the guys they sold off. Their top 10 is stacked right now.

If we could have traded Garza, Soriano, and maybe Marmol then that would have been a more complete teardown. Who knows maybe we can still trade them, but we haven't yet. So our teardown wasn't as complete as the Marlins.

vCash
    I used to think a smart guy like AA was above this, but I was apparently mistaken. Dumbest trade in a LONG time. They didn't even get a power bat out of it, they got and injury prone SS, and injury prone SP, and an SP who had a great career but it's winding down, and some worthless filler like Buck and Bonafacio.

More interesting is I wonder if any of them refuses to suit up and demands a trade. I could easily see Buerhle retiring or demanding a trade to KC before pitching for the Jays.

vCash
    I honestly wouldn't see the point of making that trade unless we were already closer to contending. The Blue Jays weren't horrible last season, at all.

There's too much risk for me for this Cubs team to make that deal. While we know that minor leaguers are volatile and prone to bust, the Theo plan is in place to acquire enough minor league depth that at least *someone* hits and becomes more than useful.

This trade is essentially a risky SS and two risky SPs (Buehrle for his age, Johnson for his injury proneness) for a guy who has already been a top 10 SS for a couple of years at 22 years old.

I am all for trading Castro if the deal is right, but this leaves too much risk involved for me.

vCash
    Nothing good comes from Canada.

Those bastards even found a way to make bacon, well, gay.
    To some, he was just a boy. A boy who played football, a football player that grew to be a man. A man that took over a city, a city that he made his own, a city that stands behind him in hopes of becoming one of that cities all-time greats. To some, 2013 was a fluke. To some, he can't do it again. To some, he got lucky.

To us though, to the Philly faithful, that QB is Nick Foles. To us, that's our QB.

vCash
    It seems like most people are in agreement that this wouldn't be a good moves for the Cubs so it's nice we can agree on something. My thoughts on the trade...

The Blue Jays were plagued by injuries in their rotation last season so, even if they just stayed with the same players, they'd probably get better in 2013. I think they are trying to capitalize on using EE and Bautista while they're still productive so the time is now. They were looking to get rid of Escobar, anyway, so this trade accomplished that while returning an all-star caliber shortstop (if he stays healthy). They picked up a starting pitcher who never gets injured to go with a top of the rotation pitcher who is oft-injured but maybe can get the kind of rest he needs in Toronto where he'll have a pretty good team behind him.

I would definitely take Castro and his contract going forward over Reyes. To see a guy with injury questions in his past getting paid 20 MM at ages 32-34 is an incredible risk at a time when the Cubs should be pushing into true competitor mode.

If these guys weren't able to help the 72 win Marlins push over the top, why would we believe they would turn the 61 win Cubs into a competitor? The Cubs would be taking on a ton of salary that could limit their ability to sign elite free agents in upcoming years. I've said this a hundred times, but I'd like the Cubs to avoid being the White Sox: a team that expends tons of resources in order to hover around .500.
    Last edited by terencem; 11-15-2012 at 11:18 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Nothing good comes from Canada.

Those bastards even found a way to make bacon, well, gay.
    Not nearly as gay as bagged milk.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    Interesting thought experiment, but I think y'all are coming from a false premise. The Jays didn't give up anything like Castro to get this package, so I think the question is really would you have done it for a package that looked like this:

Barney (Escobar)
    Soler (Marisnik)
    Maples (Nicolino)
    Clevenger (Mathis)
    Alberto Cabrera (Alvarez)
    Lake (Hechavarria)
    Zych (Desclafani)

For

Reyes
    Buehrle
    Johnson
    Buck
    Bonifacio

Now of course you can quibble about my matching up of Cubs talent to Jays talent (I don't know their system very well, but I know it's considered stronger than the Cubs), especially the Barney=Escobar one... I'm not clear on whether this collection of talent would be better or worse than Castro alone, but I think this is a closer approximation to the actual deal. I would not make the deal, if I were the Cubs and were as far away from contention as this team is.
    Yeah it's a palindrome
    Go Cubs Go! O-H! Go CBJ! Go Phins!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsFanBudMan74 View Post
    doesnt reyes fit that impact player mode? he will be 34 at end of his deal
    I always found him being highly overrated

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckcub View Post
    Interesting thought experiment, but I think y'all are coming from a false premise. The Jays didn't give up anything like Castro to get this package, so I think the question is really would you have done it for a package that looked like this:

Barney (Escobar)
    Soler (Marisnik)
    Maples (Nicolino)
    Clevenger (Mathis)
    Alberto Cabrera (Alvarez)
    Lake (Hechavarria)
    Zych (Desclafani)

For

Reyes
    Buehrle
    Johnson
    Buck
    Bonifacio

Now of course you can quibble about my matching up of Cubs talent to Jays talent (I don't know their system very well, but I know it's considered stronger than the Cubs), especially the Barney=Escobar one... I'm not clear on whether this collection of talent would be better or worse than Castro alone, but I think this is a closer approximation to the actual deal. I would not make the deal, if I were the Cubs and were as far away from contention as this team is.
    The Nicolino=Maples is pretty bad. Nicolino is awesome. Maples is in a coma for all I know. I think my version of this would be Barney (Hechevaria + Alvarez), Jackson (Marisnick), Marmol + cash (Escobar), Clevenger (Mathis), Zych (Desclafani) and Vizcaino + Maples (Nicolino) and maybe one more nice prospect like Lake coming from our end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamboniCub View Post
    so many young gms on cubs forums these days... everyones a genius tell me your plan oh mighty sabermetrics using anonymous one.
    maybe if some of you lost ur sh"ty egos i wouldnt have to sift through 10+ pages of crap arguements just to finally see a post that actually is relevent to thread.

btw only cub fans would write 10 pages on weather or not they would accept a trade that another team did that doesnt even involve their team.
    SIGN BIG NAMES
    NO
    TRADE FOR YOUNG TALENT
    NO
    shut up
    It's an Internet forum that's in the offseason. What else is there to do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    It's an Internet forum that's in the offseason. What else is there to do?
    fall thru porches? lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast