Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,787
    vCash
    7100

    Panthers acquire Louis Murphy

    Panthers acquired WR Louis Murphy from the Raiders.
    The Raiders' compensation is likely a late-round pick. The trade comes three weeks after the Contra Costa Times reported Murphy was in a "fight" for his roster spot, and greatly increases undrafted rookie Rod Streater's chances of cracking Oakland's 53-man roster. The move could be interpreted as a lack of faith from Carolina in Brandon LaFell and David Gettis, but the reality is Murphy is little more than a depth acquisition for one of the league's thinner receiver corps. He'll have an inside track on a roster spot, but will have to stay healthy, something that has proven challenging for him his first three years in the league.
    -rotoworld

    LOVE this deal. Murphy had a rough year last year, but he looked like a quality deep threat in his first two years. I think the signals the end of Armanti Edwards in Carolina for sure. I imagine that Smith/LaFell/Gettis/Murphy/Pilares/Adams is your WR corps for 2012. I don't see much wiggle room there, barring injury.





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1500
    I wouldn't go that far. I think this just increases the competition that Rivera wants to bring to training camp. Murphy will have to prove himself to make the roster. Recall that Edwards was a pleasant surprise last year in camp. If he made similar strides this off-season, he has a real shot at making the roster. Don't forget about Rico Wallace and Jared Green (both of whom will likely end up on the PS if they aren't picked up by other teams -- Colts anyone?).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Morganton, NC
    Posts
    5,105
    vCash
    1500
    Hopefully Murphy can regain his 2009/early 2010 form. He'll also have to stay healthy, which has been a real problem for him. He had some nagging injuries as recently as Spring OTAs this year that caused him to miss some workouts.

    Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.
    Roush Fenway Racing #17 Ford Fusion

    2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Rookie of the Year Winner

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,787
    vCash
    7100
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. I think this just increases the competition that Rivera wants to bring to training camp. Murphy will have to prove himself to make the roster. Recall that Edwards was a pleasant surprise last year in camp. If he made similar strides this off-season, he has a real shot at making the roster. Don't forget about Rico Wallace and Jared Green (both of whom will likely end up on the PS if they aren't picked up by other teams -- Colts anyone?).
    I would. Armanti will have to make some extreme strides to have any chance to stick. Although Hurney drafted him, he has no attachment to this coaching staff. I've wanted to give him more chances, but the writing is on the wall here. Murphy is a far more proven player, and Pilares and especially Adams are essentially roster locks. Rico Wallace is going to be a PS player more than likely, not sure about Green.





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,470
    vCash
    1500
    Solid pick-up. Good price too if it's a late round pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    JDM : Jumbo Dick Man

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1500
    Hey, JDM... chances the Steelers pick up Randle El 2.0 if the Panthers release him? :P

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,787
    vCash
    7100
    Looks like this is a conditional 7th round pick here, according to Shefter.





  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    731
    vCash
    1500
    I just read something about David Gettis which could also be part of the reason why we made the trade for Louis Murphy. I am hoping things will be good with Gettis but it is a little bit concerning.

    Panthers WR David Gettis (ACL surgery) will begin camp on the active/PUP list.
    Gettis can be activated at any time, but it's a tad concerning he's still not ready to go full steam nearly 11 months after getting injured. It won't become an issue until he starts missing preseason games, however.
    Source: Steve Reed on Twitter
    Jul 23 - 6:25 PM

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    42,787
    vCash
    7100
    That is just procedural. Steve Reed said it was nothing.





  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    731
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    That is just procedural. Steve Reed said it was nothing.
    I am just saying it is a little concerning but more disappointing because he should be 100% by now. If he isn't healthy by now the injury was probably pretty serious and it makes me wonder how effective he will be. Everyone assumes he is just gonna show up and be better than he was his rookie year and I am not sure if that will be the case. At this point I will wait and see and be cautiously optimistic.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1500
    Realistically, ACLs are supposed to take a full year to get back to normal. Most pro athletes are rushed back early, but, as we've seen with TD, it's probably better to err on the side of caution.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    731
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    Realistically, ACLs are supposed to take a full year to get back to normal. Most pro athletes are rushed back early, but, as we've seen with TD, it's probably better to err on the side of caution.
    I agree I think it is best to err on the side of caution. Even if we didn't have Gettis I would still be very excited about our receivers. I think Joe Adams is the player I am most looking for to watching just because of what he brings to the table for our special teams and I see him being a very good slot receiver. I think we are poised for a strong year and I can't wait till we get to see preseason games.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,910
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    I agree I think it is best to err on the side of caution. Even if we didn't have Gettis I would still be very excited about our receivers. I think Joe Adams is the player I am most looking for to watching just because of what he brings to the table for our special teams and I see him being a very good slot receiver. I think we are poised for a strong year and I can't wait till we get to see preseason games.
    I'm actually most hopeful that Pilares gets some time in the slot (and even on the outside). He seems like the kind of player who can really make things happen once he gets the ball in his hands.

    It's hard not to be impressed with Joe Adams's punt return ability, but I'll need to see what he brings as a receiver during preseason before I get too excited about him there. I still would have preferred T.Y. Hilton (who was off the board when we chose Adams, much earlier than I thought he would be), but Adams is a very clear win from the draft.

    I, too, think we're in for a strong year. There are a great deal of things this year that suggest we should be significantly better than last year, and I'm excited to see what this team is able to do. I really hope Gettis is able to contribute, but I would hate to rush him back early only for him to get injured again. If he has to start the season on PUP, that's fine, I think he'll still contribute positively in the second half of the season.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,470
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    Hey, JDM... chances the Steelers pick up Randle El 2.0 if the Panthers release him? :P
    hahaha, as much as I love Armanti I don't think he'll workout with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    JDM : Jumbo Dick Man

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ontario Ca
    Posts
    2,913
    vCash
    1500
    You huys will like Murph, he plays with alot of heart...nice move for you. we just had toooo many recvrs...good luck this season boys!
    [

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •