I get the sneaking suspicion that Reyes won't stay in TOR for long. I have no idea what the trade bait would have to be but if Buehrle and Buck are also in this deal TOR would be taking on $30M in payroll and not sending back nearly half that much. I hypothesize that Reyes would then be sent to the Mets for Murphy and another trading chip...maybe Duda who should be in the AL broken wrist notwithstanding [you can trade for an injured player]. Reyes goes home and the Mets use the money saved from the Bay buyout to afford Jose's big contract. Then Wright wants to stay and Dickey re-signs and the Mets fill that gaping leadoff hole. We get the square pegs off the team once and for all and in the AL where they belong. Murphy and Duda should be playing 3B and 1B and DH.

Sign Shoppach or equal to improve the catching spot. Use the Torres and Pelfrey money on a corner outfielder ($8.5M) like Swisher for one year. Give Valdespin the CF job with Nieuwenhuis in reserve. Keep Hairston and make him the LFer until one of the kids is ready [WFlores, Puello]. Add a retread starter and veteran LOOGY reliever for depth and keep your fingers crossed that everyone stays healthy and productive.

Lineup: Reyes, Tejada, Wright, Davis, Swisher, Hairston, Valdespin, Shoppach/Thole. Turner, Cedeno or equal, Nieuwenhuis, Baxter fill out the bench. A more balanced lineup lefty/righty and more speed.

Staff: Dickey, Santana [later Wheeler], Niese, Harvey and Gee.
Pen: Francisco, Rauch, Parnell, Edgin, Carson, etc.

This team, with a few good seasons, could contend and get stronger after Wheeler comes up and Santana's contract expires the year after and can be reinvested to fill the remaining holes. And like the economy, once they are rising in the standings the fans will fill the seats and the income will go back up. Insightful comments welcomed.