Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade for Reyes

Hybrid View

vCash

Trade for Reyes

I get the sneaking suspicion that Reyes won't stay in TOR for long. I have no idea what the trade bait would have to be but if Buehrle and Buck are also in this deal TOR would be taking on $30M in payroll and not sending back nearly half that much. I hypothesize that Reyes would then be sent to the Mets for Murphy and another trading chip...maybe Duda who should be in the AL broken wrist notwithstanding [you can trade for an injured player]. Reyes goes home and the Mets use the money saved from the Bay buyout to afford Jose's big contract. Then Wright wants to stay and Dickey re-signs and the Mets fill that gaping leadoff hole. We get the square pegs off the team once and for all and in the AL where they belong. Murphy and Duda should be playing 3B and 1B and DH.

Sign Shoppach or equal to improve the catching spot. Use the Torres and Pelfrey money on a corner outfielder ($8.5M) like Swisher for one year. Give Valdespin the CF job with Nieuwenhuis in reserve. Keep Hairston and make him the LFer until one of the kids is ready [WFlores, Puello]. Add a retread starter and veteran LOOGY reliever for depth and keep your fingers crossed that everyone stays healthy and productive.

Lineup: Reyes, Tejada, Wright, Davis, Swisher, Hairston, Valdespin, Shoppach/Thole. Turner, Cedeno or equal, Nieuwenhuis, Baxter fill out the bench. A more balanced lineup lefty/righty and more speed.

Staff: Dickey, Santana [later Wheeler], Niese, Harvey and Gee.
    Pen: Francisco, Rauch, Parnell, Edgin, Carson, etc.

This team, with a few good seasons, could contend and get stronger after Wheeler comes up and Santana's contract expires the year after and can be reinvested to fill the remaining holes. And like the economy, once they are rising in the standings the fans will fill the seats and the income will go back up. Insightful comments welcomed.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Reyes will probably stay in Toronto until his contract expires. Blue Jays FO has a lot of cash to spend but players don't want to go to Canada. They finally have another superstar to pair with Jose Bautista and they did it via trade. They got rid of Yunel Escobar and Adeiny Hechavvaria who was supposed to be his replacement. The AL East is wide open and assuming Reyes is healthy, he's gonna stay a Blue Jay.

I wish it would happen, but the Reyes ship has sailed. I'll be rooting for him in Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    Reyes will probably stay in Toronto until his contract expires. Blue Jays FO has a lot of cash to spend but players don't want to go to Canada. They finally have another superstar to pair with Jose Bautista and they did it via trade. They got rid of Yunel Escobar and Adeiny Hechavvaria who was supposed to be his replacement. The AL East is wide open and assuming Reyes is healthy, he's gonna stay a Blue Jay.

I wish it would happen, but the Reyes ship has sailed. I'll be rooting for him in Toronto.
    This..

Roger's Communications is a multi billion dollar corporation, they have money to burn unlike the Mets.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-14-2012 at 02:33 AM.

vCash
    Why would they give us Reyes for Murphy and Duda? I bet we would have to throw in much more.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    I get the sneaking suspicion that Reyes won't stay in TOR for long. I have no idea what the trade bait would have to be but if Buehrle and Buck are also in this deal TOR would be taking on $30M in payroll and not sending back nearly half that much. I hypothesize that Reyes would then be sent to the Mets for Murphy and another trading chip...maybe Duda who should be in the AL broken wrist notwithstanding [you can trade for an injured player]. Reyes goes home and the Mets use the money saved from the Bay buyout to afford Jose's big contract. Then Wright wants to stay and Dickey re-signs and the Mets fill that gaping leadoff hole. We get the square pegs off the team once and for all and in the AL where they belong. Murphy and Duda should be playing 3B and 1B and DH.

Sign Shoppach or equal to improve the catching spot. Use the Torres and Pelfrey money on a corner outfielder ($8.5M) like Swisher for one year. Give Valdespin the CF job with Nieuwenhuis in reserve. Keep Hairston and make him the LFer until one of the kids is ready [WFlores, Puello]. Add a retread starter and veteran LOOGY reliever for depth and keep your fingers crossed that everyone stays healthy and productive.

Lineup: Reyes, Tejada, Wright, Davis, Swisher, Hairston, Valdespin, Shoppach/Thole. Turner, Cedeno or equal, Nieuwenhuis, Baxter fill out the bench. A more balanced lineup lefty/righty and more speed.

Staff: Dickey, Santana [later Wheeler], Niese, Harvey and Gee.
    Pen: Francisco, Rauch, Parnell, Edgin, Carson, etc.

This team, with a few good seasons, could contend and get stronger after Wheeler comes up and Santana's contract expires the year after and can be reinvested to fill the remaining holes. And like the economy, once they are rising in the standings the fans will fill the seats and the income will go back up. Insightful comments welcomed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKn6h...feature=fvwrel
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

vCash
    Put Buerhle down for 13-15 wins, if Johnson is healthy with that lineup expect 18-19 more. Reyes as the tablesetter with a healthy Bautista 7 Encarnacion I see the Jays pull a Orioles next season. The Jays have deep pockets so I really don't see them unloading everyone ala Miami Marlins. The fans are starving to get back to where they were in the early 90's and have a very loyal fan base.

vCash
    If anything, they're going to want a bundle for him. They got back a huge load without giving up two of their top prospects. They could trade him for a lot if he has another good season and then they'd be in a perfect position to contend now and for the future.

vCash
    Lets not forget there is "Bad Blood" between the Mets front office and Reyes incorperated...

Also (and I know its kind of played out) we CAN'T afford Reyes' contract at this point

vCash
    They didn't even get Lawrie

Just think where Reyes would be if the Yanks would have moved AROD and an aging Jeter agreed to play third.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    I like the idea of getting Jose back where he belongs, and teaming him with Tejada at 2B for a truly deluxe DP combo. It will take more than Murphy and Duda but it's the right way to go (and of course keeping Wright & Dickey). Think about the World Champion SF Giants. Not exactly a powerhouse lineup, but strong starting pitching, timely hitting and solid bullpen did the trick. Our starting rotation is quite strong if we keep it together. Let's spruce up the OF and Bullpen, bring Harvey & Wheeler along, and see where it takes us.
    This "trade Wright and trade Dickey for prospects" route is the path to perpetual rebuilding and an empty ballpark.

vCash
    Why would we want Reyes in that contract?

vCash
    This is a ridiculous idea.

Why on earth would the Blue Jays trade Reyes for that crap?

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Though I am appreciative of the thread providing me with an easy Everly Brothers link...

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Though I am appreciative of the thread providing me with an easy Everly Brothers link...
    Always happy to oblige.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast