Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Legend42 View Post
    No way does shaq get the lions share of the credit.
    Are you joking?
    Of course he does.

He was having some of the most dominant years in NBA history while Kobe (outside of 01) was playing at or below the level of Prime Pippen.

Shaq was the engine that powered those teams and the primary reason they won.

Sure Kobe deserves plenty of credit but in terms of Championship credit he deserves the same type Pippen got in the 90's or Gasol got in 09 (well maybe less then that).
    Last edited by Andrew32; 11-17-2012 at 03:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew32 View Post
    Shaq should be next... then Kobe.
    Congrats to the Cap though I know he is happy about it.

Shaq won't get a statue. Not passing judgement on whether or not he should.

But the Buss family won't give Shaq a statue. He was too rude to them on his way out, and they are prideful people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno87 View Post
    Shaq won't get a statue.
    He should have a statue.

I know he may not (probably wont) get one because of childish banter between him and the franchise
    (from both ends mind you) but he deserves one.

He has raised more (or been the primary force behind) more banners then any other laker except for perhaps Magic.

vCash
    He should have a statue.

I know he may not (probably wont) get one because of childish banter between him and the franchise
    (from both ends mind you) but he deserves one.

He has raised more (or been the primary force behind) more banners then any other laker except for perhaps Magic.
    years ago, before it was announced that KAJ was getting his statue, I was under the impression that all Laker HOFers got their jerseys retired- and that only Lakers for life (Magic, West, Kobe) would get statues.

KAJ getting the statue opens up the possibility for a Shaq/Wilt/Mikan, ect ect type debate. It really depends on what ownership wants to do.

KAJ was a part of more championships, played a lot more years in purple and gold, and has been on good terms with the organization for the most part. well see what happens with shaq- but id be against it happening.

vCash
    He should have a statue.

(from both ends mind you)
    but he deserves one.

What are you talking about? The Lakers are the ones that have been giving Shaq respect and are the first of all the franchises he's played for to retire his jersey.

The Lakers haven't said one word about Shaq since he got traded in 2004. It was Shaq who showed the ill-will towards management for yrs and calling Phil Jackson "Benedit Arnold" when he returned to the Lakers to coach in 2005.

The Lakers organization has stayed classy and professional throughout, nothing childish on their part, only on Shaq's part.

vCash
    years ago, before it was announced that KAJ was getting his statue, I was under the impression that all Laker HOFers got their jerseys retired- and that only Lakers for life (Magic, West, Kobe) would get statues.

KAJ getting the statue opens up the possibility for a Shaq/Wilt/Mikan, ect ect type debate. It really depends on what ownership wants to do.

KAJ was a part of more championships, played a lot more years in purple and gold, and has been on good terms with the organization for the most part. well see what happens with shaq- but id be against it happening.
    And AEG, unless they sell Staples Center to someone else like it has been rumored.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB-Pau-DH2012 View Post
    The Lakers organization has stayed classy and professional throughout, nothing childish on their part, only on Shaq's part.
    No you definitly weren't paying attention then especially around the 2003/2004 time period.

The Lakers org really disrespected Shaq and in a sense betrayed him in the end.

The childishness took place on both ends 50/50.
    Shaq more with his comments and the Lakers org more with their actions or inactions.

vCash
    And AEG, unless they sell Staples Center to someone else like it has been rumored.
    the owner of the structure will do what the Lakers organization tells them to do when it comes to statues. Lakers have a lot of clout, zero point in any new ownership group interfering with their plans.

vCash
    No you definitly weren't paying attention then especially around the 2003/2004 time period.

Shaq more with his comments and the Lakers org more with their actions or inactions.
    what about the Laker organizations dealings with Shaq stands out to you as being disrespectful?

vCash
    what I'm saying is- id be surprised to see them carry any clout in the decision (in regards to blocking it/demanding a given player to have a statue), other than perhaps, placement- physical location.

vCash

Again, you haven't said how they disrespected him.

If you mean during a preseason game in Hawaii, when Shaq dunks the ball and then yells out to Dr. Jerry Buss out in the crowd to "****in pay me my money!" And the Lakers don't respond to his childish and disrespectful attitude, not the Lakers FO fault.

vCash
    what I'm saying is- id be surprised to see them carry any clout in the decision (in regards to blocking it/demanding a given player to have a statue), other than perhaps, placement- physical location.
    Honestly, I do feel Shaq should get a statue in front of Staples just because that's the place he and Kobe helped win championships from the very first yr it opened in 1999-2000.

I think Magic, West and Kareem should have got their statues in front of the Forum if anything, but I'm cool with them having it at Staples.

Now I'm not a big fan of De La Hoya or even Gretzky being one of the first ones to get it in front of Staples.

vCash
    huh? You do know that AEG is a significant MINORITY OWNER of the Lakers... right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    huh? You do know that AEG is a significant MINORITY OWNER of the Lakers... right?
    you think some minority ownership group will try to tell the buss family who and who doesn't get statues in front of staples center? i just don't see it happening.

vCash
    Honestly, I do feel Shaq should get a statue in front of Staples just because that's the place he and Kobe helped win championships from the very first yr it opened in 1999-2000.

I think Magic, West and Kareem should have got their statues in front of the Forum if anything, but I'm cool with them having it at Staples.

Now I'm not a big fan of De La Hoya or even Gretzky being one of the first ones to get it in front of Staples.
    i agree with all of this. i hope shaq gets one too, i just don't think it will happen. it won't happen until Kobe gets his first, that's for sure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast