Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Matured 'Melo ready for a title run with Knicks

ORLANDO — Carmelo Anthony has grown in so many ways as a player and as a leader. All you have to do is talk to veterans Marcus Camby and Jason Kidd to understand how far Melo has come — and just how far he can take the Knicks this season.

“I think each year he has actually been getting better and better as a player, but also as a person,’’ Camby told The Post last night on yet another night Anthony led the Knicks in scoring with 25 points in a 99-89 win over the Magic at Amway Center to push the Knicks to 5-0. “He’s ready to lead us.’’

How far?

“I think he can lead us to a championship,’’ Camby said. “He’s seen a lot of his peers in his draft class win one and that is driving him. He got his one in college, but he wants to win one in the NBA. He wants to win one for the city; we all want to win one for New York City.’’

Those peers are the Miami Big Three: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

After the win, Anthony made it clear what he wants for his Knicks.

“A championship,’’ he said calmly. “That’s the ultimate goal. We have a long way to go. We’ve got practices, we’ve got games. We’ve got a full season ahead of us. We’re just taking our time.’’

Anthony has become a patient leader, willing to pass out of the double team for the best of the team. He’s also willing to take on big Glen “Big Baby’’ Davis in the paint. Anything it takes.

This was a trap game, a night the Knicks were looking past the Magic, their eyes set on tomorrow night’s game in San Antonio, but they buckled down in the second half, and held the Magic to 13 fourth-quarter points. Anthony got over the early frustrations of having calls go against him to find a way to get the job done.

That’s the maturation level coming into focus.

Kidd came up with a huge fourth quarter and said this about the new driven-to-succeed Melo, pointing to Olympic success as the key.

“He has been great since coming off the gold medal,’’ Kidd said. “You can see his confidence and the way he is playing. He is playing off the charts for us. The one thing people keep bringing up is can he keep it up? I don’t even see why that’s a question. He’s doing everything that is right. It’s a lot of fun to be around.’’

Yes it is. The Knicks are off to their best start since they began the 1993-94 season 7-0 — when Anthony was 9.

Camby and Anthony were together five years in Denver. Camby saw Anthony come into the league as a sensational rookie in 2003. Anthony’s development from those first few years in the league to now “is like night and day,’’ Camby said. “He came into the league off a national championship [at Syracuse] and then he helped us get into the playoffs that first year in Denver and it seemed like everything was coming easy for him.

“Then he had a few bumps in the road along the way, some off the court stuff, the fight in the Garden, but he has overcome all that to become one of the most gifted basketball players in the world, but also one of the most likeable guys with his smile and his personality,’’ Camby said.

“He’s one of us,’’ Camby added. “There is no ego in him. Even though he is the best player on our team he always makes sure to carry himself as the 15th guy as Chris Copeland. He’s always laughing and joking and he works so hard. That’s good when your best player is also your hardest worker.’’

The Knicks are Melo’s Team in every way and he has them off to a terrific start.

Watching him grow as a player and a leader is golden.

kevin.kernan@nypost.com
    http://http://www.nypost.com/p/sport...content=Knicks

Let's Go Knicks!!!

vCash
    Probably the wrong time to post this after last night. Those 3 straight possessions he didn't bother to get back on D to close out the half really pissed me off and question how much Melo has truly changed and its not just the guys around him who have changed.

Lets chalk it up to a frustrated night on the road getting no calls, but its going to take a supreme EFFORT from Melo tomorrow to make up for that in my book.
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 11-14-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash
    I think some of you guys take too much bad in with the good, especially when it comes to Melo.

Knicks win and Melo doesn't care where he is in anybody's "book".
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Probably the wrong time to post this after last night. Those 3 straight possessions he didn't bother to get back on D to close out the half really pissed me off and question how much Melo has truly changed and its not just the guys around him who have changed.

Lets chalk it up to a frustrated night on the road getting no calls, but its going to take a supreme EFFORT from Melo tomorrow to make up for that in my book.
    I'm sorry but you guys live in a fantasy world, every player in the league when I say every I mean every player in the league has bad possesions and takes plays off. Yes, even Lebron and Wade the golden boys of the NBA. This is nitpicking at its best, the only dfference between the two forums is that as long as they win fans understand.

There is no argument you can make I won't even respond, you name the player and you'll see them take plays off or have a lapse of focus and make a bad judgement over a basketball game. You name em'. From star players to bench players to defensive players of the year, they all do. No games are played completely perfect even if you imagine other guys doing this in your head it doesn't happen.

Even the greatest of all time MJ himself had those type of moments in a game, but it went unnoticed because he won, and that's what counts most. No two games are alike there is no such thing as a perfectly played game guys have lapses in 30 point blowout wins so please save the nitpicking, it's basketball a game of mistakes!!!

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post

I still think hes committed to winning a title but he'll probably revert back to some bad habits from time to time and it will piss us off but this is why Woodson will ultimately be held responsible for keeping the team focused and committed to defense.
    Last edited by Missing56&33; 11-14-2012 at 04:01 PM.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    I got mad at those same plays when he didnt get back after complaining. Yes a player should play all 48mins of a game but that wont always happen.

The difference between this Melo and Melo of old that I see is the old Melo would have let that effect him the rest of the game. This Melo got refocused be it by his team being in his ear, Woody, of him.

We can play great for the 1st 43mins of the game or play like crap, but if the team (especially Melo) has finally realized how to lock in and close out the last 5mins of the game to bring in the W, then im all for it.
    Props To KnicksR4Real For The Sig

Props To KniCks4LiFe

vCash
    It was the Magic, I think he figured they were an easy game.
    http://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.file...73bd8ccc5d.gif
    Amare!!!!

SIM LEAGUE SUNS
    Jason Kidd and Chris webber
    2000-2001 48-34 first round KO
    2001-2002 64-18 first round KO
    2002-2003 55-27. Second round KO
    2003-2004 46-36 second round KO game 7 loss
    2004-2005 42-40
    2005-2006 welcome Glenn big dog

Sig bet with Mr. baller on Yankees making the playoffs loser has to hold
    SIG of the winners choice for entire playoffs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AKAYaReal View Post
    I got mad at those same plays when he didnt get back after complaining. Yes a player should play all 48mins of a game but that wont always happen.

The difference between this Melo and Melo of old that I see is the old Melo would have let that effect him the rest of the game. This Melo got refocused be it by his team being in his ear, Woody, of him.

We can play great for the 1st 43mins of the game or play like crap, but if the team (especially Melo) has finally realized how to lock in and close out the last 5mins of the game to bring in the W, then im all for it.
    I was so happy when Woodson gave Melo an ear-full. Woodson is the RIGHT guy for this team. Everyone is accountable...even the superstars.

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kartyea View Post
    I'm sorry but you guys live in a fantasy world, every player in the league when I say every I mean every player in the league has bad possesions and takes plays off. Yes, even Lebron and Wade the golden boys of the NBA. This is nitpicking at its best, the only dfference between the two forums is that as long as they win fans understand.

There is no argument you can make I won't even respond, you name the player and you'll see them take plays off or have a lapse of focus and make a bad judgement over a basketball game. You name em'. From star players to bench players to defensive players of the year, they all do. No games are played completely perfect even if you imagine other guys doing this in your head it doesn't happen.

Even the greatest of all time MJ himself had those type of moments in a game, but it went unnoticed because he won, and that's what counts most. No two games are alike there is no such thing as a perfectly played game guys have lapses in 30 point blowout wins so please save the nitpicking, it's basketball a game of mistakes!!!
    Have to agree with you here. Melo did piss me off with those 2-3 plays where he slacked a bit but it happens with every player. Plus we got the win. The biggest thing to me was that Woodson got on him about it and that's what he needs going forward. We will still see Melo of old at times but I think it will be less common as the season goes on. Melo looks like a much better player this season that is for damn sure, he's doing all of the extra things like making that extra pass and defending

i7 3770k 16gb DDR3 GTX 780

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash
    Another thing, I guess it's a pet peeve, what is this "Melo of old" stuff??? The man has been here for 91-96 games or basically a season and some playoff games, why do people talk like he has been here for four or five years under achieving the whole time???

When people talk about Stat and his MVP half season, nobody says " the Stat of old". Like, "the Stat of old would have dunked that ball". It's sounds stupid because it was only 2 years ago.

I dunno, maybe it's me and when we first got Melo he played great and was coming off of two MVP type seasons. Why isn't that the "Melo of old" instead of the first two months of one lockout season???

Last edited by Anji; 11-14-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

vCash
    No time to be praising 'Melo after last nights performance.

vCash
    Last night was embarrassing but lets not act like we win that game or any without Melo.
    Video of Carmelo Anthony first time in the Barclays center http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZIIQmQ2qRA

Quote Originally Posted by oballers View Post
    the only statistic I will care about is how many W's we have and how much fun it was watching us get those Ws.

If you don't understand what I mean see the formula below:

((Amount of Joy)* Playoff Wins * # of Championships/ Number of times cheered) * # of beers drunk / % of trash talking

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kartyea View Post

vCash
    When we lose a couple games , i would love to see this forum lol .... No NBA player is perfect & No team is perfect ... After This rough stretch we have coming up & say we look bad ... i would love to see what you guys say about Melo
    Last edited by lowkeymelo; 11-14-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: edit

vCash
    Can't wait to see what we say when he dominates, and is the only reason we win a big game. We all know its coming.

When I saw him dominate in game 2 of the 2010 playoffs, with literally no one to help him, it told me all I needed to know of Melo as a Knick.
    Last edited by Backstabber; 11-14-2012 at 07:25 PM.

My man Ike got a bad rap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast