Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Marlins worse than the Astros

Astros fan here. Are the Marlins now the worst team in baseball? Are they worse than the Astros? Is that even possible?

vCash
    no
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    The Marlins still have Stanton and shed a lot of money through this trade so no. If they did decide to trade Stanton they would most likely at least 4 high end prospects in return that would all come up at the same time. Thats a hell of good start for a rebuild. Houston doesnt have an option like that.

vCash
    They said this about the A's in the '11 offseason. Guess who won the division?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    The Marlins still have Stanton and shed a lot of money through this trade so no. If they did decide to trade Stanton they would most likely at least 4 high end prospects in return that would all come up at the same time. Thats a hell of good start for a rebuild. Houston doesnt have an option like that.

I'm talking purely major league team, i.e. not farm system. I do believe the Astros farm system is in better shape than the Marlins, esp w/ last years draft class and the upcoming draft.

vCash
    Giancarlo Stanton alone makes the Marlins better than the Astros.

vCash
    Yes the Marlins are the worst run franchise. Not sure about the type of team they are putting up but their ownership is a ****ing disgrace.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AWC713 View Post
    Are they worse than the Astros?
    Not yet, but they're getting there.

vCash
    They will be by the time the offseason is over

vCash
    Jeffrey Loria is a crook!!! Most extremely rich people are.

Its simple, he runs a team with a low payroll, gets a huge amount of revenue sharing money from the other teams, but if you look at their income statements, they are making just as much NET INCOME as the big market teams are.....Thats right, tun a team with a 50 million payroll and have a net income of 30/40 million a year...while teams like the Yankees run a 200 million empire and make about the same...BUT if their fans stop coming out (which wont happen), the Steinbrenner family would be in a lot of trouble as half their roster has no trade clauses.

Here is ANOTHER beauty about what the Marlins do....As per club policy, they DO NOT allow for players to have no trade clauses (except 10-5 rights, which are league wide)...so with all the backloaded contracts that most baseball players have, they can keep these players for a year or two with their pay being a lot less and then at the end of the contract (ie. when the Marlins signed Carlos Delgado in 2005, his first year pay was 4 million, then they traded him after that to the Mets when his pay got raised to 16.5 million for the next 3 years) and then trade them away for prospects. Even Mark Buehrle only got paid 7 million last year, so the Jays are taking on a backloaded contract in that matter as well.

The State of Florida doesnt help either, even though it isnt completely their fault..BUT Florida is one of the states where there is NO state income tax, so players can flock to Florida and not have to pay a state income tax, so it attracts star players should they desire to bring in stars.

So, yeah! Loria is actually a pretty smart businessman, run a team that has a low budget, pocket the money, and when the fans get a little mad, you bump up the payroll for a year or two, then gut the team and start the cycle all over again. There is nothing ethically wrong with what he is doing, but businessmen dont always do the most moral things possible..they know how to bend the rules and get away with it.

vCash

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Yes the Marlins are the worst run franchise. Not sure about the type of team they are putting up but their ownership is a ****ing disgrace.
    I disagree.

This has happened before and they've won 2 championships dumping stars then rebuilding. Won't surprise me to see it happen again...just not anytime soon.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    I disagree.

This has happened before and they've won 2 championships dumping stars then rebuilding. Won't surprise me to see it happen again...just not anytime soon.
    except the specifically said they would not do this to raise funds for the new stadium.

vCash
    I think they are going to be neck-and-neck for the title as worst team in baseball next year.

vCash
    No, the Astros are going to get murdered in the AL. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose 120 games or more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast