Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Loria was only at the helm for their 2003 championship.

Your point is well taken but the Marlins just let the city of Miami pay 2 billion dollars for a new stadium and essentially pulled the rug out from under them in less than one year.
    This point can't be stressed enough. There should be a federal law prohibiting the taxpayers from funding construction of a new stadium in which the primary inhabitant will be a major professional sports team.

It's theft, pure, unadulterated theft, when team owners convince politicians to use taxpayer money to pay for their stadiums.

I was very proud last year when my fellow Nassau County residents for refused to pay a new Nassau Coliseum.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    This point can't be stressed enough. There should be a federal law prohibiting the taxpayers from funding construction of a new stadium in which the primary inhabitant will be a major professional sports team.

It's theft, pure, unadulterated theft, when team owners convince politicians to use taxpayer money to pay for their stadiums.

I was very proud last year when my fellow Nassau County residents for refused to pay a new Nassau Coliseum.
    Yep, on a side note it will be sad to see the Islanders leave Nassau Coliseum but i guess the good thing is at least they didn't move them to Kansas City.

I guess Dolan will get his money for the upgrades to MSG on the backs of Knicks/Ranger tickets and Cablevision customers.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-14-2012 at 08:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Was hoping to get Marsinick from the Jays for Dickey. We get screwed again.
    But with this trade the Blue Jays have 3 RH catchers (JP Arencibia .233 18 hr 56 rbi, John Buck .192 12hr 41 rbi. and Travis d'Arnaud .333 16 hr 52 rbi in AAA)

vCash
    I'm sure playing all his home games on turf will be great for his hamstrings.

vCash
    I'm no fan of subsidizing multi-billion dollar companies with taxpayer money, but the Nassau Colliseum loss will probably end up costing the residents of the county a significant source of revenue. And this will ultimately lead to a compensatory tax hike anyway.

I think you have to take each situation individually to see if there is merit in subsidizing construction of a new stadium. They are often good investments for cities and counties.

What happened in Miami is a joke, but it's also a completely unique situation. That was a bad investment of a building from the get go. It's just not a baseball town.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    With this trade the Blue Jays look like they are all in for 2013 why not offer Dickey for Travis d'Arnaud, Anthony Gose, and some lower prospects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHoopz View Post
    Guillen is a good coach who was fired more for his PR disasters than for his ability to manage a team. That, and he probably made too much money considering the route they've decided to take.

As for the stadium, what is Loria supposed to do, contract himself? Can't blame the guy for trying.
    The PR disasters are why he wasn't a good fit. Players like Reyes & Hanley weren't used to a guy who could be outspoken like Ozzie hence why they shipped Ramirez out but now that Reyes is gone they could have had Hanley at short. Just a mess down there and this is coming from a fan of a franchise who has been an embarrasment since 2009.

vCash
    The one thing about the Marlins organization is they don't talk about stuff to death and mislead their fanbase for months by acting like they will retain players, as a Marlins fan you just wake up one day and have no idea what the hell hit you. Like Brad Pitt said in Moneyball, "Would you rather get one shot in the head or five in the chest and bleed to death?"

vCash

Baseball is corrupt.

vCash

I could not possibly agree more. I especially love it when conservative business owners push for taxpayer subsidies of their businesses while continuing to call themselves capitalists. These same owners will never pause in raising ticket prices and screwing in every way possible the taxpayers who subsidized their stadium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Baseball is corrupt.
    Couldn't agree with you more, it's as dirty and corrupt as boxing with Don Corleone Selig pulling the strings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I'm no fan of subsidizing multi-billion dollar companies with taxpayer money, but the Nassau Colliseum loss will probably end up costing the residents of the county a significant source of revenue. And this will ultimately lead to a compensatory tax hike anyway.

I think you have to take each situation individually to see if there is merit in subsidizing construction of a new stadium. They are often good investments for cities and counties.

What happened in Miami is a joke, but it's also a completely unique situation. That was a bad investment of a building from the get go. It's just not a baseball town.
    The revenue side of that equation has always been overstated when juxtaposed with the taxpayer cost of the stadium/arena. The only ones who benefit from taxpayer-funded venues are the tenants who are also given all kinds of tax breaks to boot.

The whole thing is ego-driven. Politicians get to rub elbows with the billoniaire owners, are given all kinds of special treats, perks, etc. Then they tell their sports-crazy constituents what a great job they did to keep the team in town. And the taxpayers go broke, the fans are fleeced with exorbitant ticket and parking prices (especially if the team does well) but the athletes, owners, and politicians are thrilled.

Corrupt indeed.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    The fact that they didn't have to open up their books speaks volumes. Even if I am a big market team like the Yankees and I have to share revenues with franchises like the Marlins who in all honesty aren't truly committed to winning except for when every six to eight years they get a wild hair up their butt to go all in only to have a firesale the following season would tick me off regardless of how rich I am.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I could not possibly agree more. I especially love it when conservative business owners push for taxpayer subsidies of their businesses while continuing to call themselves capitalists. These same owners will never pause in raising ticket prices and screwing in every way possible the taxpayers who subsidized their stadium.

vCash
    RE: building stadiums

To me the business model is simple…when your on the field employees average $3+ million dollars in salary (the Stinkees average is double that), and many players are now making over $10 million a year, then you can build your own house. Take it or leave it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast