Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Or JP!!!

They got Mathis, yeah Jeff(-.5 WAR over 7 seasons) Mathis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    Yeah but what's their goal here? The Marlins could have gotten rid of those players and still have gotten a better package I think. This just annihilates the Marlins.
    I don't understand it myself.

It was obvious move to clear payroll and beyond that

The only thing i can think of is the fact that it was such a large deal, they didn't have many teams to make it with.

The Jays are adding significant payroll here so maybe that was one of the problems the Marlins were having (finding a trade partner)

vCash
    Marlins got nothing in return for the same reason Boston didn't get anything of much value in return for AGon + the two terrible contracts thrown in.

When you refuse to send any money in return for your bad deals you can't ask for much in return. I highly doubt there was a big market of teams interested in paying a pitcher till he is 40, a pitcher with injury concerns, and a speed player locked up till his mid 30s.

Honestly I think this was an incredibly dumb move for the Blue Jays. Reyes isn't anywhere near good enough to completely cripple your financial flexibility. Same problem the Dodgers will face with their AGon acquisition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanthree15 View Post
    Marlins got nothing in return for the same reason Boston didn't get anything of much value in return for AGon + the two terrible contracts thrown in.

When you refuse to send any money in return for your bad deals you can't ask for much in return. I highly doubt there was a big market of teams interested in paying a pitcher till he is 40, a pitcher with injury concerns, and a speed player locked up till his mid 30s.

Honestly I think this was an incredibly dumb move for the Blue Jays. Reyes isn't anywhere near good enough to completely cripple your financial flexibility. Same problem the Dodgers will face with their AGon acquisition.
    The Blue Jays made the move to win now, and they didn't part with much from their farm system to do it.

That said farm system (which is still one of the better ones in the majors) in conjunction with the players they just acquired should put make them one of the serious contenders for the AL East.

They are owned by Roger's Communications which is a multi billion dollar corporation, money is not an issue.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-13-2012 at 09:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    salary the Jays are taking

- 4 million, getting from Marlins

Josh Johnson
    13.75 million. If he is good, then he will probably getting a qualifying offer, that will replace the specs they lose (or they could re-sign him). If he isn't, then they pay him 13.75 to do nothing.

Jose Reyes
    2013 - 10
    2014 - 16
    2015 - 22
    2016 - 22
    2017 - 22
    2018 - 22/4 buyout

That really sucks. That's a lot of money to Jose Reyes as he ages. That's 96 million over 5 years, at the very least, and as much as 112 million over the next 6 years (if he is good in 2017).

Buehrle
    13 - 11
    14 - 18
    15 - 19
    Not too horrible, not great
    3/48. It's a little high for him, but again, not awful.

John Buck
    6 million in 2013

Emilio Bonifacio
    Subject to arb, probably around 3 million.

That's 157 million over 12 controlled seasons (or 175 million over 13 controlled seasons)

do we think they can get 30+ WAR out of this deal?

I think it's certainly possible, but they did take on more salary then people are probably thinking about
    ^^^^^^One of the Mods broke it down in the MLB forum.

It's certainly a lot of money the Jays are taking on.

vCash
    I can love Reyes again since hes no longer in our division

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    I can love Reyes again since hes no longer in our division
    I am so happy we don't have to watch him kill us 18 times a year anymore.

Now he can do that to the Yankees
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-13-2012 at 09:58 PM.

vCash
    So the Marlins give up Reyes, Buerhle, and Josh Johnson and do not even get back D'Arnaud? LOL

vCash
    Someone down there does one hell of a selling job. I'm sure Reyes expected to finish his career somewhere else but not this quickly. Same with Buehrle. Both probably expected to be in the thick of the NL East for the next few years. Now Reyes is as far from home as he could possible get. He'll probably hate it up there. Good thing there was no team in Saskatoon.

Loria also got the county to build a sexy stadium that no one will be going to anytime soon. Attendance dwindled toward the end of the year. The team will be gone in five years.

Loria is an embarrassment to the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    So the Marlins give up Reyes, Buerhle, and Josh Johnson and do not even get back D'Arnaud? LOL
    Whenever you think Wilpon and the Mets are bad, just think of Loria and the MarLOLins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Whenever you think Wilpon and the Mets are bad, just think of Loria and the MarLOLins.
    Loria and the MarLOLins have won two championships in the last 15 years.

The Mets have won twice in their entire 50 year history.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Loria and the MarLOLins have won two championships in the last 15 years.

The Mets have won twice in their entire 50 year history.
    Loria was only at the helm for their 2003 championship.

Your point is well taken but the Marlins just let the city of Miami pay 2 billion dollars for a new stadium and essentially pulled the rug out from under them in less than one year.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-13-2012 at 10:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Loria was only at the helm for their 2003 championship.

Your point is well taken but the Marlins just let the city of Miami pay 2 billion dollars for a new stadium and essentially pulled the rug out from under them in less than one year.
    No where near two billion, but your point is well taken.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I don't buy that. They made a ton of contract mistakes last winter, but they're all gone by November. We made contract mistakes three and four years ago, they're still haunting us.

The Marlins are going to suck for a while, but at least they're not going to suck with a huge payroll and no hopes of turning it around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanthree15 View Post

I bashed the Dodgers for their acquisitions, but I can't bash the Blue Jays for this. You can understand it for Toronto. They're sacrificing flexibility for the hope that they just turned a mediocre team into a contender. In that division, with huge spenders in Boston and New York, young, talented teams in Tampa and Baltimore, they had to do something to stay relevant.

And they didn't have to give up their best prospects, from what I understand. So, if they have the money, might as well spend it.

I just can't believe Jose's decision to leave has backfired this badly. He clearly wanted to play closer to home and enjoy the whole Miami scene, and win games, and not only do the Marlins lose, but he's traded further north than he was when he started!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast