Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    No where near two billion, but your point is well taken.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

In the now finalized deal—supported by Miami Mayor Manny Diaz, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez, and Burgess—the total building cost of the stadium complex rose by a few million to $634 million. More than 80 percent of that would be paid for using public money. Analysts of the bonds sale soon publicized that—with interest compounding over 40 years—the total cost to the county to repay them would rise to $2.4 billion. As the Miami media and bloggers circulated reports of the staggering fiscal numbers, construction began with a ground-breaking ceremony on July 18, 2009

vCash
    Wonder what Reyes is thinking??
    We got this!!!

vCash
    The Marlins are a joke franchise who get lucky but can not sustain it for the long haul. And this likely will knock them out of any major free agent signings for a very long time. Since there is no security there.

It's like the Delgado signing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    The Marlins are a joke franchise who get lucky but can not sustain it for the long haul. And this likely will knock them out of any major free agent signings for a very long time. Since there is no security there.

It's like the Delgado signing.
    They aren't a joke at all. They have a formula. Sign big ticket FAs to heavily backloaded contracts in an effort to win immediately. If (or more likely, when) it doesn't work out, dump the players and avoid the payroll hit, and acquire quality young prospects in exchange. Nicolino, Alvarez and Eovaldi (who they got from LA in the Hanley deal) will bolster their rotation in a few years, Marisnick will give them a good bat in the middle of the lineup, and Hechavarria could mature into a decent replacement for Reyes. If they can find teams so overly eager to win now (spelled d-u-m-b) that will take on those outrageous contracts, more power to them.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Reyes is overrated he wont make Toronto any better

vCash
    I can't believe that the Marlins continue to get away with this negligence every few years. How do you open up a new ballpark and unload everyone with the exception of Stanton to when he becomes arbitration eligible is as good as gone too? This is a disgrace to MLB and a disservice to their entire fanbase. I knew Reyes would be gone but I at least thought he'd be there three years not just one. Being a Mets fan can be frustrating but being a Marlins fan now is about as low as it can get. The sad part about all this is a team in Canada has no problem giving out money toi acquire players while a New York based franchise is hesitant to even put an offer on the table because they are budgeting like they were the Marlins.
    Last edited by SILVER SEAVER; 11-14-2012 at 12:32 AM.

vCash
    This is a crazy deal, but the Marlins will have a ton of money to spend in the coming years with some more young talent. They made the Blue Jays take about all of the deal and got some nice prospects in Nicolino and Marisnick with some decent young contributors in Alvarez and Hechavarria. Still though, if healthy the Blue Jays will be the favorites in the AL East. I wonder if Reyes will stay healthy on turf?

vCash
    I think Dickey to the Blue Jays probably doesn't make sense. With Johnson, Morrow, Buehrle, Romero, and Drabek, that's 5 deep. Little uncertainty but you can roll with it.

Also they will probably keep Buck/Mathis and then deal one of them at the deadline and call up d'Arnaud. Arencibia is probably a good trade target, but they will probably want a LF. I think they use Davis as a 4th OF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    Reyes is overrated he wont make Toronto any better
    Really? So he's not better than Yunel Escobar in your opinion? Reyes will make them significally better. Throw in JJ, Buehrle to that rotation with Romero & Morrow not to mention if Bautista comes back strong with another solid season with Encarnacion the Blue Jays just took a giant leap and Reyes will be scoring 130+ runs with that lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    I think Dickey to the Blue Jays probably doesn't make sense. With Johnson, Morrow, Buehrle, Romero, and Drabek, that's 5 deep. Little uncertainty but you can roll with it.

Also they will probably keep Buck/Mathis and then deal one of them at the deadline and call up d'Arnaud. Arencibia is probably a good trade target, but they will probably want a LF. I think they use Davis as a 4th OF.
    Does Drabek still have a job? The guy gets hurt every year he's pitched and gets teed off on when he finally is in there. Dickey with JJ, Morrow, Buehrle and Romero will make the playoffs with one of the best starting rotations in baseball.

vCash
    Willing to bet Arencibia gets moved for a decent OF that's in their prime, left handed and is a contact hitter along with some BP help. I could see them swapping D'Arnaud for Duda, Parnell, and mid-level prospect. But probably not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    This is a crazy deal, but the Marlins will have a ton of money to spend in the coming years with some more young talent. They made the Blue Jays take about all of the deal and got some nice prospects in Nicolino and Marisnick with some decent young contributors in Alvarez and Hechavarria. Still though, if healthy the Blue Jays will be the favorites in the AL East. I wonder if Reyes will stay healthy on turf?
    I get what you're saying Stuna but to unload the whole team with the exception of Stanton after one season in a brand new ballpark is just criminal. And if anyone truly believes they will give Stanton a longterm deal with the intentions of keeping him for the entire duration of the deal are just fooling themselves. I can't stand that they continue to get away with this crap with other teams taking them off the hook for the negligent offseason signings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    I can't believe that the Marlins continue to get away with this negelgence every few years. How do you open up a new ballpark and unload everyone with the exception of Stanton to when he becomes arbitration eligible is as good as gone too? This is a disgrace to MLB and a disservice to their entire fanbase. I knew Reyes would be gone but I at least thought he'd be there three years not just one. Being a Mets fan can be frustrating but being a Marlins fan now is about as low as it can get. The sad part about all this is a team in Canada has no problem giving out money toi acquire players while a New York based franchise is hesitant to even put an offer on the table because they are budgeting like they were the Marlins.
    And what do you suggest they did instead, pull a Mets and field a hugely expensive and very mediocre team? They don't draw even when they're winning, which is why Loria--or any owner in that market--is hesitant to spend heavily. Spending and losing isn't an option. There would have been two thousand people in the stands next year even if they kept all the guys they just traded away, so why not scrap it and start over?

This nonsense about Marlin-bashing when our own club is giving us the run-around is laughable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHoopz View Post
    And what do you suggest they did instead, pull a Mets and field a hugely expensive and very mediocre team? They don't draw even when they're winning, which is why Loria--or any owner in that market--is hesitant to spend heavily. Spending and losing isn't an option. There would have been two thousand people in the stands next year even if they kept all the guys they just traded away, so why not scrap it and start over?

This nonsense about Marlin-bashing when our own club is giving us the run-around is laughable.
    They need to be contracted out of the league then. Florida is not a baseball state even when they won championships they weren't. If you can never field a great team for more than one season then you have no business being in baseball. The Mets are an emarrassment but if the Mets can't afford guys they won't sign them, not double payroll then a month after the season ends you have a firesale. The Mets have their faults God knows but this Miami franchise is sad. There is something fishy going on down there no pun intended.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyHoopz View Post

They certainly carried enough attendance last year to support a 100 million dollar payroll.

The Marlins are a bigger disaster because this is their MO, they spend a lot in an offseason (like they did with Delgado several years back) and then deal this players after one mediocre season.

The Mets are also not talking about running around with 15 million dollar payroll in 2013 (maybe less if they deal Nolasco).

As bad as the Met's owners are, they don't blow up winners that get too expensive and losers that are even more expensive after one season.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast