Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Loria just took the first thing offered. I feel Josh Johnson alone could have gotten Hech and one of the outfielders. Buck and Mathis was swap with no improvement or loss of talent either. So what did we really get for Reyes and Buerle?

Reyes alone could have gotten us 4 good prospects from another team i feel.

This deal was rushed to get rid of the money.

vCash
    Now watch Toronto flip one of the guys we gave them and get someone from another team we could have used...that would add insult to injury

vCash
    Honestly I can understand trading some of these players do to them not performing well, its the mere fact that this is typical Loria that bothers me. It was rushed, sure, but it doesn't change the fact that we lost a lot of dead weight, and can be positioned to build a team in the correct way. That being said, from a baseball prospective, we could have gotten more. And if Loria truly was for making this team better and winning a championship you get talent but also pay for some of the salaries.

He needs to go. We are not the Athletics here that can spend less and actually win games. We don't have the personel starting with the freaking owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1170 View Post
    Now watch Toronto flip one of the guys we gave them and get someone from another team we could have used...that would add insult to injury
    As a Blue Jays fan, I am well aware that our GM has done this in the past....He has also exploited loophole in the drafting system.

Many Blue Jays fans are aware of him going out to get type B free agents just to offer them arbitration to get those picks....SO I bet EVERYONE HERE that John Johnson is in Toronto for one season.

Josh Johnson is a free agent after 2013, so all you have to do is offer him 1 year of the average pay of the top 100 players in baseball (13.3 million this season), and you get your draft pick.... I should also point out that 2 of our starters went down with UCL (Tommy John) surgery and will miss the 2013 season, and therefore Johnson is expendable, and if he accepts arbitration, AA can easily trade away some pitchers. Johnson is bait for that, HANDS DOWN!!!!!

AA has also turned around to trade other players to get better players in the process too. With Mark Buehrle reported to own a pitbull, which is a dog that is BANNED IN ONTARIO, odds are he will have to put the pitbull down or keep his family in Florida, I am willing to bet that he isnt fond of this trade IF it happens...so Mark Buehrle is likely trade bait, and so is Bonifacio...John Buck may or may not be going somewhere, as JP Arencibia's name has been floated around as trade bait all offseason, and Adam Lind is also expendable for us.

vCash
    I was never a huge baseball fan, but did support the marlins and what they did for Miami is repugnant i will not support this franchise anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scottythegreat1 View Post
    As a Blue Jays fan, I am well aware that our GM has done this in the past....He has also exploited loophole in the drafting system.
    What loophole is that?

I ask because I follow the draft and the new rules quite a bit.

vCash
    Dont blame Loria one bit. Fans didnt show up so why the hell would he pay backloaded contracts for a last place team with unloyal fans. The guy is a businessman and obviously would have kept the players had they had a winning season last year.
    Do you think that he would try to spend even more money on top of the expensive last place team he already was fielding in order to have a very minute chance at winning the WS? Baseball is a business before its a game and unless the taxpayers planned on paying for those salaries by sitting their *** in the seats, then i dont blame the man one bit woulda done the same thing. fck his *** for what he did to the expos tho
    Do The Twirk

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    What loophole is that?

I ask because I follow the draft and the new rules quite a bit.
    It was the Type A and B's. Some of the better relievers became type B's. The stats were based over 2 years. So AA signed every reliever he could that looked to stay a type B and offered 1 year deals...not paying very much in the process.

For 2 years he basically bought 3-4 sandwich picks. About 8 in total.

Then was aggressive in signing them. Really simple and smart.

He took our farm from the bottom 5 to the top 5 in 2 years. Amazing.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kjoke View Post
    Honestly I can understand trading some of these players do to them not performing well, its the mere fact that this is typical Loria that bothers me. It was rushed, sure, but it doesn't change the fact that we lost a lot of dead weight, and can be positioned to build a team in the correct way. That being said, from a baseball prospective, we could have gotten more. And if Loria truly was for making this team better and winning a championship you get talent but also pay for some of the salaries.

He needs to go. We are not the Athletics here that can spend less and actually win games. We don't have the personel starting with the freaking owner
    And that is the only thing really wrong with this trade kjoke. This trade quite frankly is no different than the Boston-LA Dodgers trade that sent Gonzalez, Beckett, and Crawford to LA for players/prospects. In both cases, they were "salary dumps." The only difference between that trade and the Marlins is that their ownership doesn't have a history of doing things like that whereas Loria did it in Montreal and he is doing it again with the Marlins.

I don't feel sorry for Reyes and Buehrle for their so called "Verbal no trade" things. Get it in writing my friends!! Plus, if I was making 15+ million a season like these guys are, they could trade me to a different place every year!
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    At first glance this is reprehensible...but the more you look at the stats and contracts, these guys are all hugely overpaid. Buerhle is getting old, Jose is just too comfortable and lost his fire, and Josh doesn't quite look the same as he did before the injuries. You can't have all the money tied up in players who could be replaced by a marginal FA. Even as a Phillies fan, I would hope they rebuild quickly, rather than become a Pirate/Royal type franchise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    It was the Type A and B's. Some of the better relievers became type B's. The stats were based over 2 years. So AA signed every reliever he could that looked to stay a type B and offered 1 year deals...not paying very much in the process.

For 2 years he basically bought 3-4 sandwich picks. About 8 in total.

Then was aggressive in signing them. Really simple and smart.

He took our farm from the bottom 5 to the top 5 in 2 years. Amazing.
    Oh, well yeah..that isn't anything new and is something the Atlanta Braves mastered beginning in the 90's (Mazzone develops scrub into nice reliever then they grab a pick for him a year later).

But the type a/b format is completely out the window with the new CBA.

I thought he was talking present time because we are seeing teams grab a college player early now (Round 2 or 3) purposley to pay him below the slot # so as you can pay someone else more money (later).

There was already a warning to all teams not to destroy the integrity of the draft by selecting a nobody (Team A selects the owner's dog, who will sign for one dollar) in order to create said loophole to pay a guy like Mark Appel 5-6 mil.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HuRRiCaNeS324 View Post
    I repeat...

Without looking at the potential consequences of dealing a lot of good players would have on signing FAs and resigning our own good players (because that is a topic in itself) and simply just look at the trade itself, it isn't that big of a deal... We had a ****ing HORRIBLE team in which we invested A LOT of money in and simply discarded them for younger and potentially better players.
    well maybe you should look at the consequences thats the reason your teams ****ed it has nothing to do with the return you got, good luck getting back to the word series without free agents
    Blue Jays 2013 world champs, just watch

vCash
    Dan Jennings mentioned in an interview the other day that the Marlins may look into changing their no trade clause policy to attract players through free agency. he also spoke about front loading contracts if required. I think they obviously see that ppl don't take anything serious from them, and this will be needed to make them competitive. Hopefully it happens, because then we will be able to attract some great players in the future.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456