Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Dobbins gets $30k fine for Cutler hit...Lovie says he is getting better.

Source: Tim Dobbins fined $30K
    Updated: November 14, 2012, 3:32 PM ET

The NFL fined Houston Texans linebacker Tim Dobbins $30,000 for his helmet-to-helmet hit last Sunday on Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Dobbins
    Cutler suffered a concussion on the play.

A scrambling Cutler had just dumped off a pass on third down at midfield when he got drilled, resulting in an unnecessary roughness penalty. Cutler, who was shaken up on the play, also got called for an illegal forward pass because he was beyond the line of scrimmage, and the Bears challenged that call but lost.

Dobbins claims that Cutler ran into him on the play.

"I did not hit him in his head, and actually he ran into me," Dobbins said, according to CSNChicago.com. "I just felt like he was going to take off and run with the ball and I thought he was past the line."

Dobbins was pleased he was able to knock Cutler out of the game.

"But it was good that he was out, though. I mean you always want to take the quarterback out of the game. I hit him in his chest. I did not hit him in his head. Nowhere near it. I did not touch his helmet."

Bears coach Lovie Smith said Cutler showed no symptoms of a concussion immediately after the hit, so the quarterback finished out the half. Symptoms showed up at intermission and Cutler wound up sitting out the second half, putting his status for next Monday's game at San Francisco in question.

Cutler will need to pass neurological and psychological tests and be cleared by both his team doctors and an independent neurological consultant before he can return.

Smith said Cutler "is getting better" Wednesday, but didn't shed much light on his potential availability for Monday night's game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay Cutler 'getting better'
    Updated: November 14, 2012, 2:00 PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith said quarterback Jay Cutler "is getting better" Wednesday, but didn't shed much light on his potential availability for Monday night's game against the San Francisco 49ers.

Smith said the Bears "are still evaluating" Cutler, and defensive end Shea McClellin, who also suffered a concussion Sunday night in the loss to the Houston Texans.

"We will do everything possible to get him back up to par," Smith said of Cutler. "He's not gonna start practicing until he's completely healed and ready to go. That will all take care of itself."

In the team's locker room on Wednesday, McClellin said he hasn't yet been cleared medically, and per league policy, isn't permitted to speak to the media.

Smith likes the club's contingency plan at quarterback if Cutler is forced to miss time. They signed veteran Jason Campbell in the offseason to back up Cutler, who has suffered two concussions since 2010. The last time he sustained such an injury, Cutler missed a game.

The Bears put extra plans in place Tuesday when they signed veteran Josh McCown to serve as the No. 2 to Campbell.

"In this game, injuries happen and your backup has to be ready," Smith said. "We like our backup plan at the quarterback position. We brought him here for a situation like this if Jay can't go. Jason Campbell has played good football in the NFL."

vCash
    I hate how Lovie is so bland in his explanations sometimes...

I still have the feeling Cutler won't play, but I would like to see a sign either way...
    No ideas for the moment.

vCash
    I posted this in the NFL forum and think it's worth posting here too:

It was a $21k fine to the Bears safety Conte for this. A perfectly legal hit with the shoulder. A player punished for making a legal play at the wrong time?

I think the NFL is simply monetizing dangerous plays instead of adjusting the rules to prevent them. It's great if a bone crunching play is made and everyone gets up from it - it's heinous if someone suffers a concussion or any other serious injury.

It's a double standard and a perfect example of a slippery slope that has evolved over time (ie. the Brady rule, defenseless receivers, etc.).

vCash
    Not enough. Should of been more.

vCash
    Normally if someone commits a dirty play, I'll be happy if they at least get fined. But after hearing his comments, I kinda hope he gets a taste of his own medicine.

vCash
    Of course p Harvey is ok with the hit in the main. What a troll

vCash
    Also, Dobbins is one ugly mother ****er. Looks like someone from the movie Avatar.