Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    7,787
    vCash
    1500

    Who Do You Think Is Better Than Michael Jordan?

    I know people have different ideas of who the greatest player of all time is. And I've seen in discussions on here lately how some people feel Kobe or Wade should be ranked among the all-time greats, but it seems that for most people Jordan is the clear-cut number one. I admit that, being a Detroit fan from back in the day, I hated Jordan, but I always recognized his greatness. That said, I don't think Jordan is the clear-cut greatest player of all time. I think there were players in his own generation that were as good and perhaps better than him, though I have come to appreciate what he did throughout his career (I mean, that season where he averages 32 points, 8 assists AND 8 rebounds a game to go along with almost 3 steals while shooting 53% from the floor! CRAZY!!! Will never be matched again I think).

    So that said, who do you think is better than Jordan, and why? And if you do have Jordan ranks as the greatest of all time, what is the one player you think is in the conversation with Jordan? And while we are on the topic, which season do you think was Jordan's best?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

    For me, Bird and Magic were obvious picks because they both had such great all-around games. They were both better playmakers than Jordan, and both and both shot at a higher percentage than Jordan. Jordan's one-on-one defence was better than both, and he was likely the best pure scorer, but Bird was the better shooter.

    As for his era specifically, because I think Bird and Magic were both of their own era (the 80's), the guys who I thought competed on the same level as Jordan were; Barkley, Malone, Hakeem, Robinson and Stockton. I put a lot of value into rebounding the ball, so Barkley, Malone, Hakeek and Robinson all ranks high with because of that, but they were also all great scorers who shot at a higher percentage than Jordan, though Jordon is the best pure scorer of the lot, and though Jordan was the better play maker than any of them, they were each very good player makers for their respective positions, Barkley perhaps the best of the lot. Jordon though, I think is is fair to say, aged better than all of them save Malone. Hakeem and Robinson were both great defenders as well, amazing shot-blocks and they both got a lot of steals. As for Stockton, well, he, like Jordan, was a guard, and so having a high FG% was a little harder for him (you expect post players to have high FG%s than guards), but Stockton's FG% and 3pt% were both higher than Jordan, and Stockton is the greatest play maker in the history of the game. Stockton played that part of the game better than anybody before him, and better than anybody since. His one-on-one defense was not as good as Jordan, and though Stockton was the better shooter, Jordan was the more versatile scorer, but Stockton's team-defense (he was a great help defender, even as a rookie) and ability to pass the guarding lanes warrants some great appreciation. Stockton aged very well as well, which before him was very rare for a PG (one need look not further than Isiah Thomas who was considered in his prime to be one of the best PG in the history of the game and by 32 was no longer performing at an All-Star level and was perhaps the biggest reason why Detroit fell off the map so quickly after being swept by the Bulls in 1991, despite having a relatively young core group of players).

    As for the generation since Jordan, Duncan, Garnett, Shaq and LBJ are the guys I would put in the conversation as playing at Jordan's level. I wouldn't say any of the above mentioned players are better than Jordan, but I think they all played on the same level as Jordan during their primes.

    Who you got?
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 11-13-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,333
    vCash
    1500
    The only players I think have an argument VS Jordan for the GOAT title are Kareem, Shaq, Russell and Magic.

    Lebron could join that group one day.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    15,947
    vCash
    1500
    There's only one MJ.

    Mike James. The King of Chicago.

    And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Posts
    14,914
    vCash
    1500
    Allen Ezail Iverson

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    28,140
    vCash
    500
    Lebron. That's it.

    Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    6 minutes away from United Center
    Posts
    37,633
    vCash
    3109
    Mike James is GOAT.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Staten island Ny
    Posts
    19,059
    vCash
    1364
    Wilt gets a lot of hate, he was truly amazing. But yeah Id still go MJ as the Goat.
    http://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.file...73bd8ccc5d.gif
    Amare!!!!

    SIM LEAGUE SUNS
    Jason Kidd and Chris webber
    2000-2001 48-34 first round KO
    2001-2002 64-18 first round KO
    2002-2003 55-27. Second round KO
    2003-2004 46-36 second round KO game 7 loss
    2004-2005 42-40
    2005-2006 welcome Glenn big dog

    Sig bet with Mr. baller on Yankees making the playoffs loser has to hold
    SIG of the winners choice for entire playoffs

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,478
    vCash
    1500
    laybron

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    loading..
    Posts
    5,555
    vCash
    1500
    that girl in your sig >> MJ

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    Posts
    16,898
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew32 View Post
    The only players I think have an argument VS Jordan for the GOAT title are Kareem, Shaq, Russell and Magic.

    Lebron could join that group one day.
    Homer alert

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The O.C.
    Posts
    136
    vCash
    1500
    I'm a Knicks fan, but anyone whose seen Jordan play in the 90's has to say he's clearly the best player ever. Dude averaged 30 points a game and played lock down defense AND hit every big game shot. Please, stop it Lebron fans.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    8,266
    vCash
    1500
    Jesus


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ****ing Bruges
    Posts
    34,942
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggarielle View Post
    I'm a Knicks fan, but anyone whose seen Jordan play in the 90's has to say he's clearly the best player ever. Dude averaged 30 points a game and played lock down defense AND hit every big game shot. Please, stop it Lebron fans.
    Did it you see Wilt in his prime?

    LeBron is gonna have a case when it's all said in done. Jordan is the majority GOAT not the unanimous GOAT. People need to remember that.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Decatur, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    520
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    I know people have different ideas of who the greatest player of all time is. And I've seen in discussions on here lately how some people feel Kobe or Wade should be ranked among the all-time greats, but it seems that for most people Jordan is the clear-cut number one. I admit that, being a Detroit fan from back in the day, I hated Jordan, but I always recognized his greatness. That said, I don't think Jordan is the clear-cut greatest player of all time. I think there were players in his own generation that were as good and perhaps better than him, though I have come to appreciate what he did throughout his career (I mean, that season where he averages 32 points, 8 assists AND 8 rebounds a game to go along with almost 3 steals while shooting 53% from the floor! CRAZY!!! Will never be matched again I think).

    So that said, who do you think is better than Jordan, and why? And if you do have Jordan ranks as the greatest of all time, what is the one player you think is in the conversation with Jordan? And while we are on the topic, which season do you think was Jordan's best?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

    For me, Bird and Magic were obvious picks because they both had such great all-around games. They were both better playmakers than Jordan, and both and both shot at a higher percentage than Jordan. Jordan's one-on-one defence was better than both, and he was likely the best pure scorer, but Bird was the better shooter.

    As for his era specifically, because I think Bird and Magic were both of their own era (the 80's), the guys who I thought competed on the same level as Jordan were; Barkley, Malone, Hakeem, Robinson and Stockton. I put a lot of value into rebounding the ball, so Barkley, Malone, Hakeek and Robinson all ranks high with because of that, but they were also all great scorers who shot at a higher percentage than Jordan, though Jordon is the best pure scorer of the lot, and though Jordan was the better play maker than any of them, they were each very good player makers for their respective positions, Barkley perhaps the best of the lot. Jordon though, I think is is fair to say, aged better than all of them save Malone. Hakeem and Robinson were both great defenders as well, amazing shot-blocks and they both got a lot of steals. As for Stockton, well, he, like Jordan, was a guard, and so having a high FG% was a little harder for him (you expect post players to have high FG%s than guards), but Stockton's FG% and 3pt% were both higher than Jordan, and Stockton is the greatest play maker in the history of the game. Stockton played that part of the game better than anybody before him, and better than anybody since. His one-on-one defense was not as good as Jordan, and though Stockton was the better shooter, Jordan was the more versatile scorer, but Stockton's team-defense (he was a great help defender, even as a rookie) and ability to pass the guarding lanes warrants some great appreciation. Stockton aged very well as well, which before him was very rare for a PG (one need look not further than Isiah Thomas who was considered in his prime to be one of the best PG in the history of the game and by 32 was no longer performing at an All-Star level and was perhaps the biggest reason why Detroit fell off the map so quickly after being swept by the Bulls in 1991, despite having a relatively young core group of players).

    As for the generation since Jordan, Duncan, Garnett, Shaq and LBJ are the guys I would put in the conversation as playing at Jordan's level. I wouldn't say any of the above mentioned players are better than Jordan, but I think they all played on the same level as Jordan during their primes.

    Who you got?

    Shaq isnt even all time top 10... Shaq never got the most out of his talent.. Very flawed player.

    Back to MJ.... MJ avg 32 a game when a defensive player would put you on your butt everytime you went to the hole.. Hand checking was not a foul then.. So everywhere MJ went a defender had a hand on him..

    Stockton was a great great player... Doesnt get he true desert IMO.. Few now a days remember how good Stockton was..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the gym
    Posts
    2,343
    vCash
    1500
    If anyone, Lebron...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •