Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mets Certain Santana Will Be At Full Strength By Spring

NEW YORK -- Clad in a bright-orange windbreaker, Johan Santana was spotted handing out supplies on Tuesday to victims of Hurricane Sandy on Coney Island, which still has not recovered from one of the most damaging storms in New York City history.

"He was using his left arm to give out packages," COO Jeff Wilpon quipped.

"So don't worry," Santana added with a grin.

Worry is one thing the Mets no longer have regarding Santana, whose uncertain status dominated last offseason's storyline. The Mets may continue to fret about David Wright and R.A. Dickey as they negotiate long-term contract extensions -- both deals are "in process," according to Wilpon -- but they are confident that Santana, coming off an excellent-turned-sour first season back from surgery, will be at full strength come February.

"I'm just working out, getting back into shape and hoping that we'll be ready for Spring Training," Santana said. "Everything has been fine. I feel really good, and I'm looking forward to next year."

The Mets may never know entirely what happened to Santana after his 134-pitch no-hitter, which quite clearly divided his season and quite literally brought manager Terry Collins to tears. Up until that point, Santana was cruising through his first campaign back from undergoing major surgery on his left shoulder, posting a 2.38 ERA with 68 strikeouts and 21 walks in 68 innings.

But whether it was the career-high 134 pitches, the general wear and tear on his shoulder, or some combination of factors, Santana wilted immediately after his no-no. He gave up six runs in his next outing and went 3-7 with an 8.27 ERA the rest of the way, posting a 15.63 ERA over his final five starts.

With those numbers as a backdrop, Santana battling several nagging injuries and his team no longer in contention, the Mets in August decided to shut down their prized left-hander for the season.

Since that time, Santana has done little but rest. He was home in Fort Myers, Fla., when Hurricane Sandy hit, so the destruction he witnessed on Coney Island this week opened his eyes. The Johan Santana Foundation combined with the Mets Foundation to donate $25,000 to ConeyRecovers.org, a relief and recovery effort for residents and business.

"It's been very emotional," Santana said. "Just to see people still struggling is tough. But at the same time, to see the way everything has been handled and all the help they're getting, it's been good. I'm happy to be a part of it."

Following his stay in New York, Santana will travel to his native Venezuela for the holidays before returning to Fort Myers to begin his throwing program in January. Questions will linger regarding his health, of course, but not to the same extent they did last winter, when he was still less than two years removed from surgery.

These days, in fact, the most significant question surrounding Santana is who might stand beside him in the rotation come Opening Day. Though the Mets boast a strong starting five in Santana, Dickey, Jon Niese, Dillon Gee and Matt Harvey, general manager Sandy Alderson recently offered the names of Dickey, Niese and Gee as trade candidates. The power-starved Mets are considering trading starting pitching for offense, meaning the rotation could take on a different look by February.

To that end, Wilpon expressed confidence that Alderson will be able to lock up Dickey and Wright to long-term contracts, despite his examination of the trade market.

"It doesn't mean Sandy isn't exploring other things, which is just a backup at this point," Wilpon said. "But he should be doing that. [The media] would be on his case if he wasn't doing that. So he's doing both at the same time. I think we can multitask pretty good with the brains we have in the front office and the amount of people we have working on it."

Santana could have been involved in trade rumors himself if not for the $25.5 million he is owed in 2013, plus a $5 million buyout for 2014. That sort of contract is as untradeable as they come, particularly if he cannot improve upon his performance from last season.

But Santana showed more than a few flashes of greatness in 2012, evidence that perhaps he can return to form for a full year.

No-hitters, after all, tend to leave a lasting impression.

"It was a great, great thing for the whole city, for our team, but that's in the past," Santana said. "I have to look forward. I look forward to getting better and to being a better team and getting to the World Series. That's what we want to do."
    Hopefully he pitches well enough the first half of next year that the Mets could get something of significance in return for him.

That's all i am really looking for.

vCash
    He could also serve as the veteran role model for young guys like Harvey and Wheeler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    He could also serve as the veteran role model for young guys like Harvey and Wheeler.
    I think that might be his most important contribution to the team in 2013.

Though I do hope he can put up a decent W/L and ERA, he doesn't need to dominate to be effective, I'd be thrilled with a 12-8 record and an ERA around 4...then again given the rest of the teams lack of run production an ERA of 4 would NOT produce said 12-8 record LOL.

vCash
    Yeah.

The Mets are CERTAIN Santana will be at full strength by Spring Training. Meanwhile, Santana himself said this:

"I'm just working out, getting back into shape and hoping that we'll be ready for Spring Training," Santana said. "Everything has been fine. I feel really good, and I'm looking forward to next year."
    Certain versus hoping. When you're trying to sell tickets, you have to say he's "certain" to come back. But when you have a guaranteed contract and get paid either way, you can be more forthcoming, more honest. Hence, "hoping."

As the Zen Master said, "we'll see."
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Certain==We're ****ED

vCash
    I feel like I should be keeping a ocunt on how many time's you've said

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    As the Zen Master said, "we'll see."

vCash
    Santana and Jeff Wilpon joined forces today to help out victims of Hurricane Sandy in Coney Island.

"NEW YORK -- Clad in a bright-orange windbreaker, Johan Santana was spotted handing out supplies on Tuesday to victims of Hurricane Sandy on Coney Island, which still has not recovered from one of the most damaging storms in New York City history.

"So don't worry," Santana added with a grin."

Full article and video - http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Very encouraging to see the Mets giving back to the community and especially Coney Island, since the Cyclones are in Brooklyn and their ties with the area are so close.

Nice gesture indeed.

vCash
    "Certain" means "**** no"

vCash
    These days, in fact, the most significant question surrounding Santana is who might stand beside him in the rotation come Opening Day. Though the Mets boast a strong starting five in Santana, Dickey, Jon Niese, Dillon Gee and Matt Harvey, general manager Sandy Alderson recently offered the names of Dickey, Niese and Gee as trade candidates. The power-starved Mets are considering trading starting pitching for offense, meaning the rotation could take on a different look by February.
    I've been thinking big so far this off season, about a Dickey trade that would bring back several top quality young prospects. But the more I think about it, the idea of trading Gee for someone like Josh Willingham gets more and more attractive. Willingham's bat would work great in the 5 hole, and I wouldn't mind a rotation, to start the season, of Santana, Dickey, Niese, Harvey and Pelfrey. (who should be non-tendered and then resigned for about $4 million)

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Hopefully he (Santana) pitches well enough the first half of next year that the Mets could get something of significance in return for him. That's all i am really looking for.
    I'm looking for exactly the same thing. A big return for Santana and Wheeler moving into the rotation.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Till his dead arm kicks in again.

vCash
    If there's one thing the past 4 years have taught us it's that "Mets" "certain" and "health" should never be in the same sentence ever again.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    If there's one thing the past 4 years have taught us it's that "Mets" "certain" and "health" should never be in the same sentence ever again.
    ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I feel like I should be keeping a count on how many times you've said

Stems from my love of this movie, especially this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2L1-TgfKb4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekJeterDan View Post
    Santana and Jeff Wilpon joined forces today to help out victims of Hurricane Sandy in Coney Island.

"NEW YORK -- Clad in a bright-orange windbreaker, Johan Santana was spotted handing out supplies on Tuesday to victims of Hurricane Sandy on Coney Island, which still has not recovered from one of the most damaging storms in New York City history.

"So don't worry," Santana added with a grin."

Full article and video - http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Very encouraging to see the Mets giving back to the community and especially Coney Island, since the Cyclones are in Brooklyn and their ties with the area are so close.

Nice gesture indeed.
    THIS should have been the real focus rather than some BS claim about Santana's health.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Unless the sentence is...

The Mets are certain to have health problems in their roster that will lead to a summer meltdown.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast