Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

To be real contenders

After last night game against the Heat, the Rockets exposed the two biggest holes that they have to be a real contender.

First hole a true low post PF, options:

1) For me the more available one is Paul Gasol, if you noticed we end with the lost because Asik was not there and why? Because in the final min of the game he isn't a offensive option for the team, instead to provide the offense the coach opt for a small line up and hurt us with the Bosh rebound.

Gasol can hit the mid range jumper and play against the basket also he is a 7' providing us of the big man in the final min if the coaches opt to sit Asik.

2) Kevin Love - The ideal situation but I don't think we have the pices for a trade and also trade him is not a real option right now for Min.

3) Demarcus Cousin - Too problematic to be the face of the franchise for the Kings maybe they will trade him soon, another good option for us at the 4.

Second hole a true PG:

I'm a fan of Lin but I really see him as a back up PG. He put himself to many times in high turnovers situations and if you noticed we need to take the ball of Harden's hands. His TO problems comes bacuase he is to often try to create a shot or to get the foul call but in so many times he gets trap. If you see the first 2 games: the Pistons and the Hawks Harden looks great in the give and go game, he is more dangerus without the ball.

The solution:

1) CP3 - This is the perfect man to be our next max contract player. A back court of him and Harden will be top 3 in the NBA. Also he is one of the most high IQ basketball players in the NBA. A real big need for our young team right now because our coach can't provide that. He coach to basic.

For this season
    Get Gasol and maybe is the package is good we can get Blake also to be the back up PG.

If a miracle happen next season:

PG CP3 /J Lin
    SG Harden / Delfino
    SF Chandler / Morris
    PF Gasol / Jones
    C Asik / Aldrige / Smith

This team can go deep in the playoff.

vCash
    I dont think we have the cap to have Harden, Lin, Asik, Gasol and CP3 and I dont think the Lakers will take a Monty/Patterson/Machado/Douglas (Just naming players not listed) for Gasol deal and I dont think it works money wise either.

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bym5zos
    I guess this would work but I doubt think the Lakers would take it and I doubt we do a 6 for 1 trade

vCash
    Sorry about triple posting but, I do agree that we need upgrades at those spots

vCash
    I don't think we could possibly get Gasol and CP3. Doubt we could get either, really. They are vets looking for a championship now. We are rebuilding. We need to develop our young talent and draft well. In a year or two, maybe we can then trade for a good PF or a 6th man/guard.

I love Lin. But I think he'd be better off coming off the bench and being a sparkplug, 6th man of the year contender. He and Harden seem to both need the ball in their hands?

I'm in LA, so I don't get to see too many games, if anyone can tell me how Harden and Lin play together, I'd love to hear it.

vCash
    Gasol salary:

2012/2013 19,000,000
    2013/2014 19,285,850

Lin and Asik get their heavy pay of 14,896,00 in 2015.

NEW YORK, July 10, 2012 The National Basketball Association today announced that the Salary Cap for the 2012-13 season will be $58.044 million. The tax level for the 2012-13 season has been set at $70.307 million. Any team whose team salary exceeds that figure will pay a $1 tax for each $1by which it exceeds $70.307 million.

Using that info and this http://www.hoopsworld.com/houston-rockets-team-salary/ you can have a picture of the Rockets salaries and cap status.

Based on that Houston can add Gasol via trade and try to sign CP3 to max. Salary is not the problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMays View Post
    I dont think we have the cap to have Harden, Lin, Asik, Gasol and CP3 and I dont think the Lakers will take a Monty/Patterson/Machado/Douglas (Just naming players not listed) for Gasol deal and I dont think it works money wise either.
    Gasol doesn't fit in D'Antoni's system. He needs quick players. I think Gasol would be traded this year and only few teams have the cap flexibility of the Rockets also they need to dump salaries to resign Howard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pcord901 View Post
    Gasol salary:

2012/2013 19,000,000
    2013/2014 19,285,850

Lin and Asik get their heavy pay of 14,896,00 in 2015.

NEW YORK, July 10, 2012 The National Basketball Association today announced that the Salary Cap for the 2012-13 season will be $58.044 million. The tax level for the 2012-13 season has been set at $70.307 million. Any team whose team salary exceeds that figure will pay a $1 tax for each $1by which it exceeds $70.307 million.

Using that info and this http://www.hoopsworld.com/houston-rockets-team-salary/ you can have a picture of the Rockets salaries and cap status.

Based on that Houston can add Gasol via trade and try to sign CP3 to max. Salary is not the problem.
    Thats incorrect, their contracts are averaged out to $8.3m per year.

And its a little early to be saying Lin is just a backup PG although I agree he has been underwhelming. His TO's are down but that's also because ISO Harden has completely taken the ball out of his hands which has stagnated the flow.

Its ironic, but those 2 monster games Harden had I think HURT him and the team. I think it led HOU into a false sense that Harden is a top 5 player or someone that an offense should be completely built around. Now the past 5 games he's shooting 33% and averaging almost 5 TO's per game. Harden is good, but he's not going to carry a team alone, HOU still needs to move the ball.

vCash
    The rockets just need time for their players to grow. Asik is showing promise and Lin just needs to get healthy. He has so much pressure to live up to his hype and its obvious that its getting to his head. He just needs to tune out all the media and just play his game again. He was barely making a roster last year and now he's starting. Give him time to grow and I'm positive that he'll be a good player. Really hope that he gets on his feet again. He's a big reason why my family started watching basketball and itd be nice to see an asian playing well no matter what team he's on

vCash
    Patterson has really stepped up along with Morris.

Plus I am hoping if not Patterson Jones will be our future.

Lin has been fine. He will never be a star but solid.

vCash
    I think this post is WAY too premature, because it insinuates that this team should already be in position to be a contender or has specific holes that only specific players would fill.

This team is extremely young and is only going to improve. No one expects them to be contenders right now or anywhere close to that. Also, adding Gasol would be a huge mistake. Only one player on this roster is over 26 and you want to add a 32-year old PF who makes $38 million-plus over the next two years? No thank you. It would hinder the Rockets' ability to add other, younger players in the offseason and adding a star at the tail end of their career makes no sense.

CP3 makes some sense, but it's highly unlikely. The only way that works is if Paul legitimately wants to come here and the Rockets can work a sign and trade with Lin to the Clippers that does not trade any of the Rockets other core pieces. And that's an extremely unlikely scenario.

What this team needs isn't a panic trade for an aging star or to trade all their assets for a star at a position of another young promising player. What they need is time to develop its players and to develop chemistry as a team. This roster is not as good today as it will be 3-4 months from now. And we have no idea what Lin's numbers will look like after one full season or what this team really has in its young PFs.

So instead of posting a bunch of ridiculous hypotheticals for trade the Rockets don't need and will never happen, let's just talk about the team that's already in place and how they can get better without impossible scenarios.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I think this post is WAY too premature, because it insinuates that this team should already be in position to be a contender or has specific holes that only specific players would fill.

This team is extremely young and is only going to improve. No one expects them to be contenders right now or anywhere close to that. Also, adding Gasol would be a huge mistake. Only one player on this roster is over 26 and you want to add a 32-year old PF who makes $38 million-plus over the next two years? No thank you. It would hinder the Rockets' ability to add other, younger players in the offseason and adding a star at the tail end of their career makes no sense.

CP3 makes some sense, but it's highly unlikely. The only way that works is if Paul legitimately wants to come here and the Rockets can work a sign and trade with Lin to the Clippers that does not trade any of the Rockets other core pieces. And that's an extremely unlikely scenario.

What this team needs isn't a panic trade for an aging star or to trade all their assets for a star at a position of another young promising player. What they need is time to develop its players and to develop chemistry as a team. This roster is not as good today as it will be 3-4 months from now. And we have no idea what Lin's numbers will look like after one full season or what this team really has in its young PFs.

So instead of posting a bunch of ridiculous hypotheticals for trade the Rockets don't need and will never happen, let's just talk about the team that's already in place and how they can get better without impossible scenarios.
    Tell me one team beside the Thunder that reach the Finals with their young group playing together for at least 3 years. Becuase Lebron's Cavs needs veterans to be a Finals team. If you check there is more chance to be a lottery team for five years than a playoff team for the next 5 years.

Some examples teams that want to be a contender via draft and still are lottery teams.

1) Toronto
    2) Bobcats
    3) Wizards
    4) Pistons - After the Championship years who they are?
    5) Warriors

Instead of dream for the Rockets to be the next OKC, take the Miami, Lakers, Celtics, Dallas and now the Clippers also see the lights and realize that a team to be a winner or a Championship team need:
    a) Stars player
    b) Roles players
    c) Veterans guys

We miss the star and the vet. Last years teams, veterans and role players, no stars = no playoff. Easy math. This year role players only = lottery pick. Harden needs help and Lin is not the answer he is a role player not more. This is a team game not a two men show.

Also I suggest Gasol as the best option beside the other 2 that I suggest because he is the one that is more easy for the Rockets to get. His only problem is that he is not in the right team for him. In the Lakers he is not that guy anymore is Houston he would be the first or second option. A low post tread is a big way of help and offense. He is the one (the low post tread) that help Lin and Harden's game.

There are no worst blind as those who doesn't want to see.

vCash
    Something a lot more realistic, even though it would not make us contenders. What do yous guys think about Calderon, have you guys seen him in the past games with Lowry out? If you wanna fix the backup problems, he would be the most relalistic option. He's making 10 million and he is in the final year of his contract.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    Something a lot more realistic, even though it would not make us contenders. What do yous guys think about Calderon, have you guys seen him in the past games with Lowry out? If you wanna fix the backup problems, he would be the most relalistic option. He's making 10 million and he is in the final year of his contract.
    Another good option. Can Amar'e Stoudemire fill our need of a PF?

vCash
    Tell me one team beside the Thunder that reach the Finals with their young group playing together for at least 3 years. Becuase Lebron's Cavs needs veterans to be a Finals team. If you check there is more chance to be a lottery team for five years than a playoff team for the next 5 years.

Some examples teams that want to be a contender via draft and still are lottery teams.

1) Toronto
    2) Bobcats
    3) Wizards
    4) Pistons - After the Championship years who they are?
    5) Warriors

Instead of dream for the Rockets to be the next OKC, take the Miami, Lakers, Celtics, Dallas and now the Clippers also see the lights and realize that a team to be a winner or a Championship team need:
    a) Stars player
    b) Roles players
    c) Veterans guys

We miss the star and the vet. Last years teams, veterans and role players, no stars = no playoff. Easy math. This year role players only = lottery pick. Harden needs help and Lin is not the answer he is a role player not more. This is a team game not a two men show.

Also I suggest Gasol as the best option beside the other 2 that I suggest because he is the one that is more easy for the Rockets to get. His only problem is that he is not in the right team for him. In the Lakers he is not that guy anymore is Houston he would be the first or second option. A low post tread is a big way of help and offense. He is the one (the low post tread) that help Lin and Harden's game.
    You're missing the point, bro. Pau Gasol is 32 years old, on the decline and making $19 million a year over the next two years. Adding him will not make the Rockets a contender this season. At best, he makes this team maybe 5-10 games better and a 4-5 seed in the West. But it makes no sense for this team to add Gasol.

And Paul would be amazing, but he's not likely going to come to Houston. He has a pick of any franchise offering max money in the entire league, and he's far more likely to stay in LA or go to Dallas than he is to come to Houston.

Bottom line, the Rockets' front office SHOULD be looking to add a second star player to make this team better in the long run, but adding an aging veteran star who will be a medicore player in 3-5 years isn't in this team's best interest. And obviously they need to have veterans, but this team isn't anywhere near contention, so adding players in their 30s makes no sense.

There are no worst blind as those who doesn't want to see.
    I see what you're trying to say here, but you totally butchered it.

Another good option. Can Amar'e Stoudemire fill our need of a PF?
    Eww... No. Amare is much worse than Gasol, is far more injury prone, has one of the worst contracts in the NBA and will probably won't even be in the league in 3-4 years. I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast