Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash

Studying what happens to women denied abortions.

http://io9.com/5958187/what-happens-...dy-to-find-out

I find it interesting. Was considering putting this in the politics thread but hopefully here it wont devolve. Please try to focus on the science not your personal feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    When a woman is denied the abortion she wants, she is statistically more likely to wind up unemployed, on public assistance, and below the poverty line.
    Interesting that anti-abortion typically goes hand-in-hand with cutting off social welfare.

The ultimate problem is that the driving force behind limiting abortions is not statistical, scientific or in the interest of mothers. It's irrational, emotional and fed by religious, not scientific, belief.

So ultimately you could throw 100 studies like this in the faces of those who want to get rid of it and it'd be pointless.

Very interesting though, especially the findings on the mental well-being side.

vCash
    Not to sound like a a-hole, but isn't this just common sense?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    It's irrational, emotional and fed by religious, not scientific, belief.
    I was under the impression that people don't side with abortion cuz of the whole killing another human thing...??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I was under the impression that people don't side with abortion cuz of the whole killing another human thing...??
    Which is what he said.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    I got a B in a course instead of an A because my ridiculously right wing philosophy professor didn't like that I made an argument that personhood is not consistent/guaranteed for everybody and that killing a human being isn't wrong.

True story.

vCash
    Interesting that anti-abortion typically goes hand-in-hand with cutting off social welfare.

The ultimate problem is that the driving force behind limiting abortions is not statistical, scientific or in the interest of mothers. It's irrational, emotional and fed by religious, not scientific, belief.

So ultimately you could throw 100 studies like this in the faces of those who want to get rid of it and it'd be pointless.

Very interesting though, especially the findings on the mental well-being side.
    yes. Don't abort that baby you can't afford you welfare mother.

vCash
    Not to sound like a a-hole, but isn't this just common sense?
    Common sense is often proved horribly wrong when it comes to public health, and psychology research. But yes the stress of having to care for a child is great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    I got a B in a course instead of an A because my ridiculously right wing philosophy professor didn't like that I made an argument that personhood is not consistent/guaranteed for everybody and that killing a human being isn't wrong.

True story.
    My brother was once asked what he liked most about a section of his course in 5th grade and his answer on the test was "I didn't like any of the section. I thought it was all really boring." He didn't get any of the points for that answer.

Morale of the story, shut up sometimes and write what you think your teacher wants to hear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Which is what he said.
    u lost me

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post

True story.
    haha. i respect that

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Common sense is often proved horribly wrong when it comes to public health, and psychology research. But yes the stress of having to care for a child is great.
    well, in addition to that the economic downside/burden, and its long term effects. I'd have to say if someone cannot see that with their own two eyes, I'd doubt a scientific study will change any opinions.

vCash
    I missed that. Interesting point

vCash
    u lost me

haha. i respect that

well, in addition to that the economic downside/burden, and its long term effects. I'd have to say if someone cannot see that with their own two eyes, I'd doubt a scientific study will change any opinions.
    I don't think it's about changing opinions... I think it's about quantifying the problem for policy makers. The truth is we are as a country liberalizing. It's a matter of time before this debate is passť.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    My brother was once asked what he liked most about a section of his course in 5th grade and his answer on the test was "I didn't like any of the section. I thought it was all really boring." He didn't get any of the points for that answer.

Morale of the story, shut up sometimes and write what you think your teacher wants to hear.
    I refuse to do that ever. I'll write what's required of me for the assignment, but I absolutely, 100% refuse to have my views forced to be changed so I'm not penalized.

vCash
    The female body has ways of shutting down to prevent pregnancy in the absence of abortions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I don't think it's about changing opinions... I think it's about quantifying the problem for policy makers. The truth is we are as a country liberalizing. It's a matter of time before this debate is passť.
    sooo, although I have never really gave it too much thought I probably support early term abortion, let me just play devil's advocate. If we quantify a man robbing a bank and spreading those millions of dollars amongst the needy in the city, should we now hope for this to help push policy makers toward making it legal? My point being, these policy makers are not basing their policy off of economic/emotional impact, rather they are basing it off what they believe to be the murder of an innocent child. There are many things which can lead to better situations for many people, are we to expect they all become legalized?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast