Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

2012-13 Houston Aeros Season

Well, since we have no NHL, I have slowly been delving into the world of AHL Hockey, and while I am by no means completely knowledgeable on the league, I am making attempts, and learning a bit more everyday.

And I hope I can count on some of you to contribute positively to this thread and help me learn even more about the Houston Aeros...Thanks in advance!

vCash
    Sunday, Nov 11, 2012
    Texas Stars at Houston Aeros
    Final: Stars 4, Aeros 2

Well, the Aeros dropped the game....again.

They got into early penalty trouble, which lead to goals...and coupled with their lackluster play, just fell behind too early, too quickly to make anything more than a mild comeback attempt in the second period.

I must say I am very surprised given the talent that is on the Aeros team...guys who are looked at as being the future (and some are current!!) Minnesota Wild players.

I know many of these guys are still very young and can only get better, but still....too many men on the ice, interference, stupid roughing penalties with the refs LOOKING RIGHT AT YOU, and not being aware where you are on the ice, and thus making saves on your OWN goaltender more difficult than it needs to be?

Cmon guys...simply unacceptable.
    Not to take away anything from the Stars...they did after all, what ANY team should do: take advantage of opportunities presented.
    Yet the Aeros didn't offer much resistance, and simply made the game a bit too easy for Texas.

Factor in that the Stars aren't really a high scoring team, and one can see how easy Houston made things for them.

Aeros go up next against the San Antonio Rampage on Tuesday night. An equally 'low scoring' team like Texas is, so we will see how the team learns from this terrible game.

Houston has guys like Jason Zucker, Mikael Granlund, Charlie Coyle, Zack Phillips, Brett Bulmer up front..
    Jonas Brodin, Brian Connelly, and Marco Scandella on defense...
    And Matt Hackett in goal....

yea, I would say the team SHOULD be better than the 5-6 record they currently hold.

Let's go, Aeros....take care of business in your next game against the Rampage!
    Last edited by PineAppleFlavor; 11-19-2012 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    Tuesday, Nov 13, 2012
    Houston Aeros at San Antonio Rampage
    Final: Aeros 7, Rampage 5

Didn't get a chance to watch this one, so really the only thing I know from it is what showed up on the scoresheet and these highlights I found...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b97hGp-XASo

It was a scoring fest...which I suppose is a good thing to see players break out and put pucks in the net...however, Houston gave up 5 goals so one also has to wonder where the hell the defense got to.

And Matt Hackett giving up 5 goals doesn't bode well for a guy the Wild were possibly looking at to bring back to the NHL club.

Oh well...from the looks of things any Aeros players who are Wild hopefuls will have the entire season to work on things.

Can't complain about a win, so I won't.....
    WTG Aeros.

Now...if only you guys can make 6 or 7 goals a game a regular occurance WITHOUT giving up a ton yourselves, things would be peachy!

Scoresheet
    http://theahl.com/stats/official-gam...ame_id=1010048

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
    These tacos are ****ing delicious
    I wonder where those tacos were from?

vCash
    I'm wearing shoes.

vCash
    Friday, Nov 16 and Sun, Nov 18, 2012

Houston Aeros at Rockford Ice Hogs (Fri) Final: Ice Hogs 2, Aeros 1

Rockford Ice Hogs at Houston Aeros (Sun..Game was played at the Minnesota Wild's Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN) Final: Aeros 3, Ice Hogs 2

Trading a pair of games with the Chicago Blackhawks farm team Ice Hogs.
    Houston didn't generate much of anything offensively in the first game until late...second game, much better, and goalie Matt Hackett was very good in both.

The Aero offense has struggled without Mikael Granlund and Jonas Brodin playing for the team.
    Two guys whom I thought for sure would crack the Minnesota Wild lineup...well, in this case, I guess it is a good thing the Wild aren't playing.
    Minnesota had some bad luck with injuries and with all the hype coming into the 2012-13 season with the signing of Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, the LAST thing Minny fans want to hear about is injuries to their top prospects as well.

Yes, I know, if the NHL had started, circumstances could have been different, but still, sometimes teams just can't escape rashes of injuries. The Wild's organization seems to be in that mode.

But back to the games, credit the Ice Hogs tenacity for the split in the games as well.
    Rockford playing the way the Chicago Blackhawks want their players to play: tough no nonsense, with the end result being that the other team knew they were in a smashmouth game...win or not.

Next up for Houston, Friday the 23rd, road game against the San Antonio Rampage.

vCash
    According to hockeysfuture.com, we have the #1 prospect pool in the NHL.

vCash
    Can't wait to see Granlund lace up for the Wild. Doing decent in Houston it looks like. 21pts in 21 games.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=118389

vCash
    I feel like with players such as Granlund, Zucker and Coyle playing so well in the AHL, we should have them start the season with the Wild. They have played months of hockey already, and are in mid season form, whereas the other veterans are not. Granlund will make the roster for sure...not so sure about Zucker or Coyle though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    I feel like with players such as Granlund, Zucker and Coyle playing so well in the AHL, we should have them start the season with the Wild. They have played months of hockey already, and are in mid season form, whereas the other veterans are not. Granlund will make the roster for sure...not so sure about Zucker or Coyle though.
    Great point and idea. It would make great sense to have them with the Big Club to start. I'm sure a lot of young guys throughout the league will see a lot of ice time the first few weeks.

vCash
    Granlund will be up for sure have any of our guys been playing overseas at all?

vCash
    A couple did but no injuries (Besides Spurgeons which last I heard he was fine). With the way Zucker is tearing up the AHL I could see him up and on the second line LW instead of Cullen who is more fit to be on the third line.

vCash

I think the issue will be.....

.....the number of contracts the wild have that are only one way contracts (Meaning they can't be moved to the minors with out clearing waivers) so unless there are injuries.. (which I think is likley with a potentially condensed schedule) we will only see 1 or maybe 2 guys on the big club starting out.. It is promising though to see several of our guys doing as well as they are at the AHL level though.. IF nothing else it means that guys have to 100% bring their A game (youth anyways) because the fight for the 1-2 big club spots will be great to see. But we should be able to bring up guys from the AHL to fill injury holes and see no drop in play and maybe even see an increase in play level from some of them..

I think if the wild can jel and find their stride early with the depth they have this "Sprint" of a season could favor their roster a LOT.. Got variety of youth and veterans.. Scoring potential in the top 2-3 lines and a lot of youth knocking on the door to play if someone gets hurt..

vCash
    Until PMB is back Zucker could take his spot on the second line LW. Granlund will be the second line C. That allows Cullen to fall down to third line LW where he is much better suited as a defensively responsible player that can match other top lines while adding a little offense.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
    PMB (Zucker)-Granlund-Setoguchi
    Cullen-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
    Powe-Konopka-Mitchell

That is a very solid and very deep group of forwards with everyone playing their intended role and no one playing a role that they dont fit (like Cullen as our 2nd line center)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Until PMB is back Zucker could take his spot on the second line LW. Granlund will be the second line C. That allows Cullen to fall down to third line LW where he is much better suited as a defensively responsible player that can match other top lines while adding a little offense.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
    PMB (Zucker)-Granlund-Setoguchi
    Cullen-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
    Powe-Konopka-Mitchell

That is a very solid and very deep group of forwards with everyone playing their intended role and no one playing a role that they dont fit (like Cullen as our 2nd line center)
    I'm not sure where I read it/heard it (the strib I think) sounds like Yeo is going with the following top 2 lines for the start of camp

Parise-Koivu-Heater
    Cullen-Granlund-Seto

Last I heard PMB was only cleared to skate and has not been cleared for Contact yet.. Hopefully i'm wrong..

Either way you are right on that we have a strong deep line up.. Lots of flexibility at the NHL level between lines and even more when you think about the guys in the AHL who could come up and try out a top 6 roll or come up and be roll players in the bottom 6.

I personally am very excited to see how things shake out..
    I do wish we had one more spot at the NHL level to bring up a AHL'er off and on if one is hot..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast